• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have several Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitters in the case I am using going to mobo and bios control. Would I be able to hook this to a PWN Fan Controller I would buy and control them from front bay of case? Even if I had to buy 2 controllers.
I have a splitter in bottom of case for 8 fans, one in top of case for 6 fans, and 1 in middle controlling 4x D5 PWN Pumps.

If it splits the PWM signal (as in 4 pin fans) then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

So would a single 4 PWN Fan Controller be able to handle the power needed when I connect the 3x splitters to it? If so what specs should I look for when I go shopping for the fan controller?

So would a single 4 PWN Fan Controller be able to handle the power needed when I connect the 3x splitters to it? If so what specs should I look for when I go shopping for the fan controller?

Look for how many watts each channel can handle. Something like this can handle 30 watts per channel.
Don't exceed that and you should be fine.

I know some other guys here use fan controllers, they would be able to tell you what to look for as well since I don't use controllers, just the headers on the mobo

Too bad Bobnova isn't around anymore, he could tell you what you need to know. :)

Ok Thanks
Looks like I will need 2 of the controllers. Will need one just for pumps. Each pump Power consumption: 23W.
So will just run the 4 pumps to each input on controller. Then run the 2 fan splitters to the other controller.
Once I get specs on fans that is. But I doubt the fans will be a power problem.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks
Looks like I will need 2 of the controllers. Will need one just for pumps. Each pump Power consumption: 23W.
So will just run the 4 pumps to each input on controller. Then run the 2 fan splitters to the other controller.

Unless you are running bigass fans lol

All 8 of the Noctua 140s total 18w Not sure about the Corsair SP 120s cannot find watts on them. Just 0.08A each.

Oh um, let me start by saying this.

First and foremost, the Swiftech PWM splitters supplys power via Sata/Molex Power from the PSU to the fans and is controllable by a PWM cable that would receive the signal from a MB header and the likes.

Second, don't know of any true PWM fan controllers in the market other than the AQ6 or the botched Link. Say, if you were to find one, other than the ones I've posted, let me know as well as I am running two of those splitters on my MB as well. One with all the fans and the other with the 2 pumps. Again, if you were to find one, you could just have the splitters as they were intended to supply the power and just have the PWM cable from the splitters, connected to the PWM header of a controller and just have it controlled that way.

CONNECTIONSx600.jpg

Ok Thanks

Chuck you said the pumps are 23w each correct? 23 watts at how many amps? I only ask because the Akasa's limit is 2.5Amps each line. Not sure if your D5 is the same as mine as it's rated 37w @ 2A. Just checking to be sure you don't burn anything out ;)

Corsair SP fans have terrible PWM control and are actually "bugged". Don't use more than 4 off of one signal or you'll lose control.

Also, Hardass, it's PWM. Not PWN.

Back