• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The new guy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueknight1960

Registered
Hi everyone, New to overclocking and to the forums,see I'm new all the way around. Anyway,I hope to learn a lot and got a lot of reading to do. But since I haven't had the time to do all the reading that I know I need to do. but since I'm here,:confused:I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have the i5 4690k on a Asus z97 pro-gamer motherboard,h100i aio in a Rosewill Thor V2 case. I've been reading that people with similar setups have good temps. ie: 28-30 c idle temps with mid 60's c under full load. My idle temps are mid- to upper 30's c and under full load mid to upper 70's c and sometimes in the 80's. I have it oc'd to 4.6GHz w/1.23 vcore,xmp enabled. I don't know what the ambient temp is in my room,but it's not hot by any means. If I had to guess,I'd say it is about 70 F,maybe a little cooler. Even with the cpu at 3.5GHz,the idle temps are still in the mid 30's c. Loaded in the mid 60's c. I can't for the life of me figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

1-230mm intake side fan. 1-230mm intake front fan. 1-140mm exhaust back fan and the 2-120mm fans on the radiator pushing.

Prime95 ver 26.6. I signed up for an account so it would run 24/7. I'm not sure if it is small fft (not sure if that is right) It's whatever prime uses for that. The oc seems stable except for the temps. I don't do any video editing or heavy gaming so I'm not really worried about it getting hot for the stuff I do,just want it to be correct.

For your OC and cooling running P95, the temps seem pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I'll just keep an eye on the temps since summer is coming and I'll back off the oc if it starts getting any hotter.

You won't get anywhere near that even with video editing or long gaming sessions :)

So even if the temps get into the mid 80's and that's only if I let prime run for a long time,which I don't. It'll still be ok? I do the SETI thing but haven't on this oc yet,so I have no idea what the temps will be.

One last thing, There is a 15 c difference between core 1 and core 4,is that normal or do I need to delid my cpu?

That's a pretty high difference. I'd try re seating the heatsink before doing anything else.

I would talk to Intel about that difference before doing a delid, personally.

The Prime95 v26.6 that you are using is an older version that doesn't utilize the newer AVX instruction sets (less stress and heat). The most recent version is v28.5 which runs very hot especially with small ffts. I sometimes test with the most current v28.5 but I actually tend to prefer the previous v27.9 which uses some of the recent AVX instruction sets but not all and it doesn't run quite as hot as v28.5.

You don't have to actually join GIMPS to use/run the stress test. The Prime95 Torture (stress) test is located under options. Some like to stress for long term like an overnight run... But I usually use it more for shorter term stress tests (1-2 hrs.) to aid with helping me dial in my various overclocks.

Current Prime95 v28.5 link:
http://www.mersenne.org/download/#download

All Prime95 versions/FTP:
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/

Prime95 V27.9.png Prime95 v27.9 options.png

With my air cooled 4770K setup the idle temps are in the mid 30's and normal load temps (Rosetta@home ) are in the mid 60's to lower/mid 70's. Prime95 temps will actually run quite a bit higher.

i7-4770K 4.5Ghz Prime load.PNG

Thank you for the reply,but my main concern right now is the difference in core temps. I started a service request with intel to see what can be done about it. Hopefully I'll hear something back from them with-in a day or so.

It is not uncommon to have temp variation between cores for Haswell cpu. Your sample may be somewhat higher then others and perhaps the black glue that secures IHS to the cpu package has a larger variation? I quickly checked my (3) samples I'm showing a temp spread of ~ 9, 7, and 7 C. for the three chips.

The 1st 3 cores are very close in temps but the 4th core has a 15c difference (cooler) and that is preventing me from over clocking to the speed I'd like to get at. But on the other hand maybe the cooler core is the one with the problem. Is there anyway to check each individual core?

Back