• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD UVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronHands

Registered
I'm looking endlessly for my solution, and I see that surprisingly I'm not the only person that wants to play a game but also watch a movie or video or what ever. Yea more than one display.

Whenever your multitasking your GPU has too many reasons to stay in UVD mode so unless you run your game in full screen mode or what ever the GPU will just stay at UVD variables or UVD or what ever.

From what I can tell is that this may be only a AMD thing and I'm assuming if I would have a NVidia GPU I would not suffer from any down clocking and such just because I want to watch or do something else but also play a game but have the game in window mode.

I don't know much about any of this, I know what UVD means (universal video decoder) but I'm still trying to just plainly figure out if it's something I am stuck with? Will flashing my gpu's bios with modified variables not change anything? I know that it will because I have tried it already. I can change the UVD clocks but is 1020mhz in UVD mode the same as 1020mhz in performance mode? I would just try some things out but I really don't want to flash my GPU bios nor more than what I need too or want too.

I'm starting to just get upset and disappointed with what I am finding out, but on the other side of things I'm happy to see that maybe a NVidia card will just simply keep me out of this issue. I'm not happy with thinking about spending money to get another GPU like a GTX970.

I'll maybe try saying something about this over at techpowerup maybe. But I'm still just curious if anyone one else around here may know of what I'm talking about or has had the same experience so to speak.

I also just fell that I'm maybe just posting in the wrong section of the forum.

It's like this for me, I know that I will get maximum FPS on any game that I run if I only have the game running and it's running in full screen.
I just feel that my fps would be better or however if my gpu was not in a UVD state but running at it's maximum performing state even if I do have game in window mode with IE open. Plain and simple.

I'm not giving up though and I'm still searching around for anyone with the similar issue *lol*

If anyone maybe could understand if I just ignore it and just carry on I'm still bothered but it is just so time consuming to constantly look around and it just make me wonder if I should just try stuff but the only thing that seems that works as in trying is flashing my GPU bios with one that I modded. Nothing else seems to change this UVD state that my GPU will go in anytime I'm watching videos but also trying to play a game.

I just really don't know much still, the NVidia thing still may not be better but I have no idea

Last edited:
hey who the hell knows if I am posting this in the right place or in the right forums or what the hell ever. But one damn thing is for sure I use 3 damn displays and any damn time I want to play a damn game I keep it in window mode or what the hell ever because I want to do other things on my other displays and also play a damn game. I know this much is true though, I had too flash my GPU bios to keep my GPU from staying in a damn UVD state. Next thing that is true is that I have my fx-6350 at 4.5gz and I can tell one hell of a difference and I say kiss my damn *** to any thing less as I will overclock it even higher to 4.6 and so on. If I get failures on prime95 I will just raise my CPU voltage more and keep on damn trucking.

With MSI afterburner you can set 2d and 3d clocks. You can try changing the 2d clocks to the full speed and see if that resolves the issue.

I think what I will do is on the next driver update from AMD (when they update past 15.4 beta) I will flash my GPU bios back to original then update to the new drivers and then try and checkout afterburner.

The full speed of the UVD or 2d clock mode for me is 870mhz the full speed of my performance 3d mode is 1020mhz.

I flashed my GPU bios with new a UVD variable set at 1020mhz.

By the way does anyone around here use just only the AMD GPU driver and not whole CCC suit? The whole CCC suit for me is just useless. I'm thinking of installing just the driver and not the whole CCC on the next driver update

Back