• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this build work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One of them is 300GB and the other is 1TB. One of them is 4-5 years old and the other is like 3. I also have a 200GB external on the side.

Man, those drives are getting long in the tooth. Have you checked theme with CrystalDiskInfo yet?

Not sure I would sweat either of them... one, if not both, are still under warranty for pete's sake!

Do check SMART data though and see if there are any issues. ; )

Not sure I would sweat either of them... one, if not both, are still under warranty for pete's sake!

Under warranty still? Consumer level hard drive warranties are not as long as they once were. Have you noticed? And some of the manufacturers warranty some of their product lines not from the point of sale but the point of manufacture.

No warranty for data loss. Besides the 1tb, the smaller drives are really just taking up room (perhaps useful for images or something).

Under warranty still? Consumer level hard drive warranties are not as long as they once were. Have you noticed? And some of the manufacturers warranty some of their product lines not from the point of sale but the point of manufacture.
Yes. I noticed. I don't think i own a HDD under 3 years old right now...in fact, my main storage drive is 640GB caviar black from a couple years back. ;)

While measures should be taken to not lose your data (taking backups), trashing a 3 year old drive, particularly one that my still be under warranty, seems a bit paranoid and premature.

As I said, it's worth it to check SMART data and see what is shaking underneath and checking the warranty status (which I know doesn't protect data, that wasn't my point).

Now, if the data is mission critical (for him), again, it should be backed up and perhaps I would subscribe to this type of thinking. It's up to the end user to figure that out. ;)

Last edited:
Blacks have a five year warranty but the other WD consumer lines are like two years warranty. Toshiba has a three year warranty I think on some of their consumer drives.

http://support.wdc.com/mobile/mpolicy.asp

Unless he bought in bulk, which I doubt, they are 3 years outside of one model of blue which is two.

I still wouldn't worry to much about it so long as due diligence is taken (backups, check SMART data). But that is my same advice with a brand new drive too. ;)

Edit: anyway, if I was the op, I would look into an ssd for the os anyway. Such a big difference in most everything as far as performance goes. One of the real tangible gains can be had bere.

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on the reallocated sector count. If you notice it going up, backup the drives immediately.

I still suggest an SSD simply because they're so fast, but yes you should be good.

They're okay but both have lots of power on hours. In my experience drives with 30k+ power on hours are often not long for the bone yard.

Lol, that's a shed load of hours... I'm mean that is 4 years straight powered on???!!!! Do you leave your pc on constantly? You almost have to with how old you said these drives were! Lol!

A lot of people, including myself, keep their PC's powered on constantly. I recommend that to all my customers so the AV program, Windows and who knows what else can check for, download and install updates at will, typically after hours. That way it doesn't happen as soon as you turn the PC on so that you have to wait for all that stuff to get done before you can use your machine efficiently.

Leaving it on all the time (with High Performance power scheme in place) also cuts down on the number of hard drive power ups which is one disk health risk category. Electronic devices are most likely to fail when they first power up. Spinners are cheap these days and to replace them about every three years is good insurance.

WOw... I just checked my WDCBlack 640GB drive, which I bought 10/12/2009 has 31,177 hours on it.

With today's PC's, I can't believe people still worry about that... on this site. I can see family and such that typically does not have enthusiast level hardware though. But this is coming from a guy that uses Windows Defender and good browsing habits only. ;)

Anyway.... im OT. :)

Back