• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this build work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, I got the motherboard today and I'm putting a few things together early. What's kind of confusing me is how I'm gonna set 2 1TB drives and 2 DVD drives on this thing.

I have many SATA ports, but only one SATA_PWR_1 port (on the link I gave, there's a little "HDD Saver" sticker covering it) to plug that into for power. What am I missing here?

Not sure what the function of the HDD saver is for, might be for a soft start function to not overload your drives but it won't be the main source of power for anything in your build. When you get the power supply it will have the cables used to power your drives.

418fe5-L9nL__SX425_.jpg

Power3xSATA_IDC_1500x1000.jpg

This will be something like you should get with your PSU when it arrives. Sorry for the bad reference pics, just stole them from Google (that's not a crime is it?).

Edit: removed useless pic

The first picture is for my DVD Drive, and the second is for all of my HD's - provided that all of them are connect to a SATA port. Correct?

Edit: Also, for these drives, I can pick any SATA port on the mobo I want right? Like, I don't need to plug them in some specific order?

Last edited:
lol, see how much I pay attention. Time to read up on the manual :)

I skimmed the manual, the manual recommends using SATA3_0 for your boot device. The ones labeled SATA3_A0 and A1 I would use for the DVD drives. I had to read up on your manual cause I was curious what the HDD saver was, interesting feature that allows you to turn off extra drives you have attached through software while the system is on, guess it could be useful if you have a large storage drive there that you only use for backups, turn it on run back up and shut it off.

lol, see how much I pay attention. Time to read up on the manual :)

I skimmed the manual, the manual recommends using SATA3_0 for your boot device. The ones labeled SATA3_A0 and A1 I would use for the DVD drives. I had to read up on your manual cause I was curious what the HDD saver was, interesting feature that allows you to turn off extra drives you have attached through software while the system is on, guess it could be useful if you have a large storage drive there that you only use for backups, turn it on run back up and shut it off.

It's also useful for hiding sensitive data, save it to a drive and shut the drive off.

Finally got the parts today and built this bad boy:

BXRRWGZ.jpg

And it's all thanks to you guys. One tiny issue though, see where the hard drive is? That area sticks out very far and I can't put the side cover of the case back on. Did I do something wrong there?

It's the power connector to that hard drive that's really getting me.

Back