• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which ram can O/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elfaii

Registered
Hi there!!
I want to ask what i must check when i will buy ram so it can O/c it?
there some types of them..?or i can do it to all of them?
my motherboard has socket 1150 for intel...

You generally won't know just by looking at it. You need to know what silicon was used to see, generally, where a set of sticks can overclock to. That is a bit out of my world though... others will be by to share what could be good. As a side note, please create a signature with your hardware in it so we know what you are dealing with.

That said, outside of benchmarking, there is little to gain from overclocking ram. If you want to do it for giggles. Awesome. But if you are looking for tangible gains, unless you are rocking two high end video cards or running ram saturating computations, chances are you won't 'see' anything from it.

E_D is right, for the most part overclocking ram won't gain you much in terms of everyday performnce. For benchmarking this is more important but when doing that you're willing to take the risk of blowing out your operating system or even your bios which is quite easy to do when you start playing with your ram. If you want 2400 ram just buy some it's much easier but that being said most ram today is overclockable or able to tighten the timings a bit. It just takes a lot of time and testing if you are looking for stability.

I'm currently in the same boat your are. I have a AMD 990FX system thought so MY comment's about score's my or my not go along with yours. As the others have said "YOU NEED TO KNOW THE IC", all memory is not the same.
1st you need to read Woomack's EXCELLENT memory guide, this gives you the KNOWLEDGE that you are asking about. I can go on and on about the difference in speed from 1600 - 1866 - 2133 - 2400 memory or how much better CL8 @ xxxx speed is to CL9,CL10,CL11,Ect,Ect. IMO if you are not going to be using it for benching, save your money and pickup some DDR3-1600 CL8 memory. In a basic config that you will use for every day stuff, a increase of less than 5% for memory that's more than 12%-25% more $$$ is not going to help. You will see a better return of your $$$ by using what you saved and putting it into a better CPU or GPU.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

Back