• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For me this is a totally pointless product. Barely anyone needs it and barely anyone wants it.
The biggest problem with Gigabyte AMD boards is that they never make it right. There is good marketing around pretty average or below average boards. Somehow their Intel boards are much better designed and tested. They also have much longer support.
GB tells you that all is fine with their AMD boards while they already make new revision so if you want to have improved product then buy another one.

How many of these boards could they sell? I would venture very, very few. At least in the USA you can get a Sabertooth R2 for about the same price. The market for this board must be very small seeing many AMD users buy an APU so they go FM2+. Not to mention most people go Intel in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

And you know if you don't remember that stuff...well often you just go round and around.

I learned this a long time ago now. Motherboard engineers cannot leave shett alone...even it works. They have to put "their" signature on it.

RGone...

Kinda like fixing what ain't broken.

Last edited:
For me this is a totally pointless product. Barely anyone needs it and barely anyone wants it.
The biggest problem with Gigabyte AMD boards is that they never make it right. There is good marketing around pretty average or below average boards. Somehow their Intel boards are much better designed and tested. They also have much longer support.
GB tells you that all is fine with their AMD boards while they already make new revision so if you want to have improved product then buy another one.

What? Are they bad like MSI?

No, Gigabyte boards will actually run FX chips at stock. MSI struggles with that.

MSI boards look good though! There is video on Youtube of a guy doing a build with a brand new MSI 970A SLI KRAIT. It proceeded to smoke from under the vrm heatsink then burst into flames. Some people swear by the GD80.

I hear they're the hottest thing since toasted VRMs :rofl:

R5 Update

Here is a update on my UD5 R5

3 days F@H
R5-F@H.JPG

39 min Prime
R5-Prime2.JPG

I'll try some OC and see how far I can get it when I can, Lupus takes a lot out of a person.

W_H_EQ, that does not look too bad man. Take your time and manage your strength. I would guess that right at that CPU voltage you are showing, that to go say 4.2GHz is going to take some more Vcore. So don't be surprised. The temps and Vcore seem to do an upward stair-step like thing. 4.0GHz "x" voltage. About 4.3GHz add cpu voltage and heat rised. 4.5GHz add Vcore and temp rises. And the pattern persists almost to the very limit of the cpu overclock.

RGone...

W_H_EQ, that does not look too bad man. Take your time and manage your strength. I would guess that right at that CPU voltage you are showing, that to go say 4.2GHz is going to take some more Vcore. So don't be surprised. The temps and Vcore seem to do an upward stair-step like thing. 4.0GHz "x" voltage. About 4.3GHz add cpu voltage and heat rised. 4.5GHz add Vcore and temp rises. And the pattern persists almost to the very limit of the cpu overclock.

RGone...

Oh I'm sure I will need to up the vcore but to start with, I'll go in 200MHZ increments then adjust as needed. :thup:

Lets see how well this board truly is under a volcano hot 8 core lol.
Take your time on it whitehawk, no need to overexert yourself.:)

This is a little of what I have to deal with everyday, it looks worse than it feels. And yet in the last 5 years I have built 13 PC's 2 of those are 4P servers with those hands. :comp:

hands.JPG

I have owned the UD5 R5 for a month now and have started overclocking it. I'm fairly new to overclocking tho. Coming from the UD3P, this board is thicker and the vrm,s run 10 deg C cooler. My FX-8350 is what I've been using along with 16GB 1866 G Skill Sniper memory. I have a fan controller and temp probes embedded in the bottom of the heatsinks. Getting to 4.7GHz was easy. Multi and core was it ( of course all green was off). In IBT AVX standard I was at 10 & 11(s) with GFlops 83-85 so I upped the NB freq to 2400 from default 2200 and got all 9(s) and 93-94 GFlops. My cpu and NB temps and vcore voltage are the same as my UD3P using the H100i for cooling. I still need to learn how to fsb overclock hoping that will bring temps down when I get back to 4.9GHz. At 4.7 I'm at 46deg. But 60deg at 4.9. Any help with fsb overclocking would be greatly appreciated. I'm mobile now so can't show screen shots but will this evening if not working tomorrow.

@MTup welcome to OCF and when you're ready to do some FSB clocking I suggest you start a thread in the AMD CPU section. You'll get mare attention that way and it keeps things cleaner.
There's a good guide for the bulldozer/piledriver in my sig if you're inclined to read it.

@MTup welcome to OCF and when you're ready to do some FSB clocking I suggest you start a thread in the AMD CPU section. You'll get mare attention that way and it keeps things cleaner.
There's a good guide for the bulldozer/piledriver in my sig if you're inclined to read it.

Thanks Johan. I am going to mess around with it a little more and then start a thread. This is the first I've heard of enable apm on gigabytes so I'll try that too.

@Johan
With my UD5 R5 APM enable I took 2 tics off my vcore and was stable. Thank you so much for that Johan. In the last 6 months of reading and studying overclocking I have never heard to enable APM. Very High IBT AVX temps are in the upper 30's low 40's at 4.7GHz FX-8350. 1.428V under load, w/LLC ultra high. I couldn't back off vcore before without locking up. Hope this helps others with a Gigabyte board.

Back