• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to admit gigabyte kind of shot themselves in the foot with the UD3 v3 (and I had one at one time) and had no issues with it and can't comment on the UD5 .. but the UD7 has treated me very well and will be able to give you folks a better view at the end of the month when I drop in an 8 core.. thinking of getting the 8370..

Why upgrade to a 8370 though? Just oc your 6300 like mad!
Unless you need the cores anyways.

Definitely make a thread about it thought, I think everyone would like to see how the UD7 handles an 8 core monster.

Why upgrade to a 8370 though? Just oc your 6300 like mad!
Unless you need the cores anyways.

Definitely make a thread about it thought, I think everyone would like to see how the UD7 handles an 8 core monster.

He should upgrade to an 8 core with his UD7. That board will handle it like a dream.

People may argue a Sabortooth is better than a UD5. Halt, this may be true..... it may not be..... It doesn't matter really.

WHY??

Cause most people aren't going for crazy clocks. They go for good daily clocks with a decent temp and voltage and enjoy. I've done this on 4+1 M5A motherboards a plenty and for a few years now.

The misconception of needing endless bios adjustments is a joke, these processors are fully unlocked, most lads keep it simple with a multi OC and Cpu voltage increase. There's no need to increase reference clocks while there's plenty of Ram speed selections in bios. Run 800, 933, 1000mhz and so on.

Hard core extreme overclocking on a UD5? Sure why not? There's all the bios settings there needed for it. I'm pretty sure I could have a UD5 cruising an FX cpu on LN2 at 7000mhz with no problem at all.

This UD5.... I like the black on this board. It's a good lookin board. It looks better than brown on the Sabortooth, heck I like the looks of it better than my Formula-z with all honesty, I'm not a fan of RED.....

Here is a pic of the UD5 R5

20150317153704_big.jpg

And BTW I got it running and it's running very nice, runs at about 37c with Prime 95, I'll get a screen shot and post it.

Would be interested to see how well it runs up around 5GHz if you wanted to push that hard :thup:

Yep, I'll look some more in the BIOS, play with the settings and see what I get.

Can you get us some BIOS screenshots at all?
I'd like to see what we've got for goodies, specifically, Vcore setting. Can we increase Vcore in small 0.05 bumps?

Also, is this digital VRM or analogue?
I'd like to try messing CPU VDDA on another analogue board, but with 8+2 instead of the 6+2 I have now. 1.68Vcore is nuts for 4.93Ghz stable :-/

Can you get us some BIOS screenshots at all?
I'd like to see what we've got for goodies, specifically, Vcore setting. Can we increase Vcore in small 0.05 bumps?

Also, is this digital VRM or analogue?
I'd like to try messing CPU VDDA on another analogue board, but with 8+2 instead of the 6+2 I have now. 1.68Vcore is nuts for 4.93Ghz stable :-/

Yes, Vcore can be increased by .05v bumps and no on digital VRM (as far as I can tell)
Screen shots coming soon.

edit: that's .025V increments not .05V

Last edited:
That's what I wanted to hear. Good.

Seems like a winning board for me. This will be the board I buy.

Let a little break to Gigabyte talk. I much more wondering Msi' s new 990fx gaming board. Is someone compare cons and pros with other amd boards? its looks very attractive
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.05.21_02h05m32s_002_.png .

That's what I wanted to hear. Good.

Seems like a winning board for me. This will be the board I buy.
I highly doubt it will make much of a difference...

If it makes a difference, it won't make enough of one for that vcore to be ok...I mean, you are .13v off...

I highly doubt it will make much of a difference...

If it makes a difference, it won't make enough of one for that vcore to be ok...I mean, you are .13v off...

Yeah but just seeing 1.68Vcore for 5Ghz makes me sad :(
Gahh... I have much tinkering left on the chip though...

More I read, the more I think it's not the board, it's more the user :bang head

If you want to be at 5ghz with a more reasonable voltage, get a different cpu. :)
No kidding lol.

But there in lies the question: Should I upgrade to a better board with 8+2 instead of 6+2?
New chip might as well look into a stronger board?

What I want to know: will having 8+2 allow for a better overclock on this chip because more phases = cleaner power. Cleaner than 6+2 anyway. My thinking is maybe, not much though. I figure 8+2 would be cleaner because there's less stress on the VRM than 6+2...

If so, this would be the board for me because it's 8+2, and it's cheaper than the Saberkitty we all trust. It also seems to handle an FX 8350 so far. Real test would be some serious overclocking with all 8 core enabled. :)

EDIT: Wow. thought my board was 6+2 this whole time :facepalm:

No kidding lol.
EDIT: Wow. thought my board was 6+2 this whole time :facepalm:

Gigabyte com >> Advanced 8+2 phase CPU VRM power ... GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0/1.1) It has been 8 + 2 all along. If you do not get a known to work Saberkitty and go Giga R5, you may never know what is bad. Board you have now or just underperforming CPU. if you look at the HWMonitor on that R5 posted above you will see a 0.096V Vdroop. Just about a full tenth droop. That is way the heck too much for serious overclocking and benching at a cpus upper limits. Seriously most of us that do a lot of overclocking have long ago looked for next to NO Vdroop and is why so many boards came with CPU_LLC to ward off Vdroop. But CPU_LLC has to be good and quick and accurate to be of much use. Some boards have a very good CPU_LLC.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just about a full tenth droop. That is way the heck too much for serious overclocking and benching at a cpus upper limits.

Do we know what LLC setting was used? It's possible it isn't turned up.

Back