• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Or you can stop being lazy and finding "convenient" outs. Seriously, this is a foolish discussion at this point. You want a ud5 r5, go buy one and test it out. For now, on paper it's extremely inferior to the big boards and is more money to boot.

I'll post links when I get home.

Also, please don't use phrases wrong. You just look churlish. Posting a link isn't "putting money where my mouth is".

Or I'm not being lazy. I'm wanting you to show me where the Sabertooth is cheaper.
If I was being lazy I wouldn't have done any looking at all and just made off-point statements.

Also, "put your money where your mouth is" can be used to mean "back your statements with evidence".

Also, since you clearly have no clue of what the capabilities of the sabertooth are, allow me to help elucidate you.

the ud5 is pretty much missing this entire page (this is when you go and nit pick about how it does have LLC, and tell me its just as good... Riiiggghhhhttttt)
20150503_140743_zpsxta30sdi.jpg

and a bit more than "3" you seemed confused about.

20150503_140729_zpsujxz9eed.jpg

By all means, continue your press on how great this untested board is.

I'm seeing $190 and $175?
And does anyone actually buy from SuperBiiz?

you must be joking lmao... "promo codes" and "rebates" aren't outside your realm of cognizance are they?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since you clearly have no clue of what the capabilities of the sabertooth are, allow me to help elucidate you.

the ud5 is pretty much missing this entire page (this is when you go and nit pick about how it does have LLC, and tell me its just as good... Riiiggghhhhttttt)
20150503_140743_zpsxta30sdi.jpg

and a bit more than "3" you seemed confused about.

20150503_140729_zpsujxz9eed.jpg

By all means, continue your press on how great this untested board is.

you must be joking lmao...

You finally posted something that shows what you're talking about :eek::eek::eek:

You're right on the different types of current/frequency settings on that page, it doesn't have most of those.

For the CPU LLC, the manual I was looking at only had three options. Not sure why it's different from your board.

You know you can take screenshots in your BIOS, right?

I don't believe I ever made a claim saying "this is the best board ever!", simply saying that it could be a very good board at a good price.
All I was doing is stating facts based on the spec sheet.

Sorry, I don't include MIR's into the price. Quite a lot of people don't like them or trust them.
I use them myself, but consider it an added bonus, not a better price.
As for the promo code, I don't see one listed on the page and you didn't mention the price being from a promo.

You finally posted something that shows what you're talking about :eek::eek::eek:

You're right on the different types of current/frequency settings on that page, it doesn't have most of those.

For the CPU LLC, the manual I was looking at only had three options. Not sure why it's different from your board.

You know you can take screenshots in your BIOS, right?

I don't believe I ever made a claim saying "this is the best board ever!", simply saying that it could be a very good board at a good price.
All I was doing is stating facts based on the spec sheet.

Its not a good price. Its against VERY tough competition against PROVEN boards that are on sale CHEAPER than what its release price is. Until it drops down a good 30-40$, its silly to purchase it over an extreme9, sabertooth, or the VERY solid 100-110$ boards (ud3, fatal1ty, m5a99x).

So, as you continue your tirade, lets bring this up again. Considering the sabertooth and extreme9 are on sale cheaper than this board, why does this board exist? What features make it "worth buying" to you? The gigabyte branding? The long tested, reliable 990fx motherboards gigabyte has made in the past (HA!)? The full and robust feature set that doesn't exist? Ah, must be the colors then. Good for you.

edit: Screen shots in bios -> digging through a drawer to find a formatted usb drive. Plugging it in, going in to bios pressing print screen, waiting a relatively long time, doing that twice, then closing out of bios, removing the usb drive, booting into windows, pulling the images off the usb drive, then uploading

vs

grabbing my phone, accessing bios screen, pressing "click" on my phone, resetting to windows and having it already on my drive by the time windows logs in.

Hmm ok.

Last edited:
Its not a good price. Its against VERY tough competition against PROVEN boards that are on sale CHEAPER than what its release price is. Until it drops down a good 30-40$, its silly to purchase it over an extreme9, sabertooth, or the VERY solid 100-110$ boards (ud3, fatal1ty, m5a99x).

So, as you continue your tirade, lets bring this up again. Considering the sabertooth and extreme9 are on sale cheaper than this board, why does this board exist? What features make it "worth buying" to you? The gigabyte branding? The long tested, reliable 990fx motherboards gigabyte has made in the past (HA!)? The full and robust feature set that doesn't exist? Ah, must be the colors then. Good for you

Let's look at it this way. You're comparing sale prices to MSRP.
Just like other boards, this one will have sales. So it'll drop in price. At that point it'll be a competitive price.

Also, where did I say it was worth buying? Please, point that out.
I've only said it could be worth buying depending on how it performs.

There's a huge difference, which you obviously don't understand, between saying "EVERYONE GO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW" and "Oh, this could be a contender if it performs".

Let's look at it this way. You're comparing sale prices to MSRP.
Just like other boards, this one will have sales. So it'll drop in price. At that point it'll be a competitive price.

Also, where did I say it was worth buying? Please, point that out.
I've only said it could be worth buying depending on how it performs.

There's a huge difference, which you obviously don't understand, between saying "EVERYONE GO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW" and "Oh, this could be a contender if it performs".

When it drops in price (significantly), then it may be a "contender". At 170$ its clearly not worth the money in features and demonstrated reliability vs other battle tested boards.

You are playing devils advocate "it could be it could be", quick to point out things that are convenient to yourself. Even Rgone himself has stated this board appears to be lacking. I say the same thing, and you fire up in arms against me. You're just flat out wrong on this, sorry.

When it drops in price (significantly), then it may be a "contender". At 170$ its clearly not worth the money in features and demonstrated reliability vs other battle tested boards.

You are playing devils advocate "it could be it could be", quick to point out things that are convenient to yourself. Even Rgone himself has stated this board appears to be lacking. I say the same thing, and you fire up in arms against me. You're just flat out wrong on this, sorry.

Most boards in this price bracket see sales of $20-$30. I'd say that's significant and would be surprised if it didn't see sales of that amount.

Yes, there are small things missing. All the necessary features are there, though.
Let's say it performs very close to or equal to the Sabertooth, but when both are on sale the UD5 R5 is $30-40 cheaper. Would that not make it "worth it"?

Stop putting words into RGone's mouth. He didn't say the board was lacking at any point.
He actually stated that the board has quite a few features that the UD3 and UD5 don't and that it has the Unlock feature that many newer boards don't.
He does mention that the CHV-z has more features, but also states that it's $65 more.

Getting mighty dang close there Bassnut for sure as far as money goes. Plus the CHV-Z has a ton of optional features and shett in the box. I was thinking I might just for the "hey" get one but not at that price. I don't need the practice that bad. Hehehe. I had often thought to try the Asrock Ext9 which came after the Fatal1ty 990FX Professional, but I found a full on thread over at OCN, where they keep a model of mobo going forever it seems and found the Asrock EXT9 to be not nearly as polished as my CHV's were. So I held off for sure. I type this on the FatLady 990FX Pro and she has given me a number of teeth kicks since last I visited "her" and the options missing in bios over my CHV...well now they are off-putting after a couple of years with CHV's.

Manual mb_manual_ga-990fxa-ud5-r5_e.pdf

Page #40 finally has HPC > enable/disable
Page #40 finally has APM > enable/disable

Page #42 has fair selection of voltages but just not using the more understood 'terms'. AND they do not describe CPU_LLC settings at all but setting is there.

RGone...

EDIT:
Crap did not see the CAD monies. About $190.00 CAD is right at $160.00 Usd. So there is about $65.00 difference in monies to the CHV-Z at NewEgg Usa. CHV-Z has been going new for about $225.00 Usd at the Egg.

Second NOTE: I notice in bios that there is menu button for UNLOCK cores. Few later AM3+ motherboards claim such feature since AMD dropped their support at least 7 years ago.
END EDIT.

Hey guys, take this fight to the PM's, I started this thread to get info on this board from those that have 1, if you don't have 1, then please refrain from any comments that detract from the thread.

Any who.....

I got a ud3 and so far it's been good aside from being unable to unlock my 2 cores on my 960t that my 890fx board could do but the dual 16x slots kind make up for that.

Plus i bumped the bus speed up to 225 with minimal voltage increases compared to my old board and the vrm on it has barely gotten warm at all. It's reporting much higher temps for vrm but I'm positive that's in error now.

That being said it hasn't blown me away but i haven't pushed it very far either.

It's working well which is more than i can say about any Asus product I've had in the past.

I imagine the ud5 would be a safe bet. I was tempted by the as rock extreme 6 though.

Hey guys, take this fight to the PM's, I started this thread to get info on this board from those that have 1, if you don't have 1, then please refrain from any comments that detract from the thread.
Exactly this. No more off topic posts, please.

Would mentioning that there's also supposed to be a UD3 R5 coming out be considered off topic?

the only reason I brought up the UD3 is because its very similar, has the same power phase and what haves you and I felt relevant to the topic on hand.
I imagine that the VRM on both UD3 and UD5 are the same

I am sure it is a fine board. That being said Gigabyte has a spotty past record with AM3+ boards. Add to the fact it is expensive. Basically the same price as a Sabertooth R2 here in the sates. Some people say the UD7 is a great board but I never hear of anyone actually owning one.

I'm probably one of the few here that have the UD7 ...
And you've had a good experience :)
That's the trouble with Gigabyte boards... It's hit and miss if it's going to play nice with the user.

That's why I'm hoping this new board is the solution Gigabyte needs for their botched boards.
But it could be too little, too late as well.

I have to admit gigabyte kind of shot themselves in the foot with the UD3 v3 (and I had one at one time) and had no issues with it and can't comment on the UD5 .. but the UD7 has treated me very well and will be able to give you folks a better view at the end of the month when I drop in an 8 core.. thinking of getting the 8370..

Back