• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Glasses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkVirusVx

Recently I have been experiencing a lot of eye strain, looked into computer glasses with mixed review. Has anyone used any and have experience to share?

I have a very basic headset I use at home, this is more for work I wear headphones to drowned everyone out. Gunnar keep coming up. I may see if I can find some one sale. Saw them on Woot once with I jumped on htem.

Make sure you get a pair with flat arms if you are planning to use the glasses with any over ear or on ear headset/headphones.

Gunnar's are the "oakley's" of the computer glasses world. I dont care what "super dupe mega ultra patents" they have, the technology for this has been around for a VERY long time. They are quality lenses, and will last you a long time.

That said, if you dont feel like spending 90$, these are the ones I have. Really comfortable, lightweight, and function great.

https://www.noscopeglasses.com/gaming-glasses/product/34-hydra-gaming-glasses

They are nerdy as hell, but they do actually reduce eye strain.

Recently I have been experiencing a lot of eye strain, looked into computer glasses with mixed review. Has anyone used any and have experience to share?
Do you have glasses already?

The ones with yellow tinting are basically a scam: they don't do anything. I get migraines from looking at screens close to me (read: my job), so I have a special pair of glasses when I use the computer. They are magnified, so they are effectively the bottom part of bi-focals, requiring my eye to do far less work to focus; which is likely where you are seeing your migraines.

Short answer: go see an optometrist and explain the situation. They should know exactly what to do. My second pair cost me in the ballpark of $70 with new frames and lenses.

The ones with yellow tinting are basically a scam: they don't do anything. I get migraines from looking at screens close to me (read: my job), so I have a special pair of glasses when I use the computer. They are magnified, so they are effectively the bottom part of bi-focals, requiring my eye to do far less work to focus; which is likely where you are seeing your migraines.

Short answer: go see an optometrist and explain the situation. They should know exactly what to do. My second pair cost me in the ballpark of $70 with new frames and lenses.

The Gunnar lenses have a slight magnification to them, so they do what you're talking about.

I do not but an optometrist isnt a bad idea cant tell you when I last had an eye exam. This is very recent and i like to chalk it up to getting old and working longer hours.

Thank you all for you input and opinions.

I must need computer glasses. I read the title of the post and thought it said, "Computer Classes". I was hoping to find information about how to register.

Not really a scam. They have UV protection, glare reduction, filter blue light, and from personal experience immediately reduce eye strain.

"To try to cut through the X-treme speak, we forwarded the website over to Krista Anderson, an Optometrist and co-owner of Pointe Vision Care in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI. Her take? "Really, it looks like a great marketing strategy for stuff I tell patients everyday.

"The tints are pretty standard in the optical community. The advantages stated are all true... they haven't reinvented the wheel, so to speak," she explains. The amber tint is going to increase contrast when looking at computer or television screens, and the anti-reflective coating will also help. Anderson says that should help you "get back 8-10 percent of the 12 percent of usable light that we lose to glare, when worn in front of a light-emitting source such as a computer or oncoming headlights."

Not really a scam. They have UV protection, glare reduction, filter blue light, and from personal experience immediately reduce eye strain.
So do the ones I'm wearing right now, and they were far cheaper than any of the "gaming glasses" you see online. The big thing is the magnification, everything else is subjective.

So do the ones I'm wearing right now, and they were far cheaper than any of the "gaming glasses" you see online. The big thing is the magnification, everything else is subjective.

I got mine for 20 bucks... and the immediate "relief" I get is hardly subjective. That's like saying running cool water on a burn is subjective. If your solution works for you, awesome. Unfair to throw everything else as snake oil simply because you have another solution. If you're sensitive to digital eye strain like I am, these are a good; albeit tacky, solution.

Edit: and you don't need the "1337 haxxor elite gunnar optix with ultra mega particle destabilization" either lol. Cheaper, functional solutions exist.

Back