• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of range!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I recently purchased a Gigabyte m27u 4k monitor on sale for black friday. Every now and then it will say "Out of Range!". What does that mean and how do I fix it? I looked up everything online to no avail. Should I ship it back or what?

That means the GPU is sending a signal that the monitor cannot display.

Every now and then....................under what circumstances, exactly, does this happen? How are you connected to the monitor (HDMI? DP?)? Did you try any troubleshooting yet?

Reseat all connections is where I would start. Ensure you have that monitor set correctly (for the res and Hz) in the NV control panel. Consider switching ports? If that doesn't work, swap out with another cable.

Mostly when gaming, but rarely when I leave it sit. Connected through DP. Tried all the ports. Tried multiple cables, trust me I have alot of em'. Res. is set to recommended but I lowered the refresh rate to 144 from 160 awhile ago and that seemed to help for the most part but every couple days it still does the out of range crap. It also says in the g-sync menu when I turn it on it says "Selected display is not validated as g-sync compatible".

Well, it's a Freesync monitor... is it on NV's list as compatible for gsync? Your system doesn't think so. If it's not on their list as compatible, you can't enable it.

Tried updating gpu drivers? Did you install the monitor driver from the website?

Last edited:
I did install the monitor driver and Gigabyte control center. I have been told a thousand times that freesync monitors work fine with nvidia gpu's now a days. GPU drivers are up to date. Here is a photo of what the control center looks like.

I have been told a thousand times that freesync monitors work fine with nvidia gpu's now a days.
Not all FS monitors can use gsync. The monitor will work, but you can't utilize the gsync technology.

If your monitor isn't on this list, it isn't compatible (can't use gsync).

Does this happen with gsync disabled?

I dont see a pic of GCC, but no worries that's irrelevant info anyway.

Sorry, I fell asleep. No it's not on the list. I'm sending it back. I'm gonna keep my 1440p monitor until I can afford a good 4k monitor.

It is a good 4k monitor.... it's just not gsync compatible. ;)

Edit: were any on your list (deleted thread) gsync compatible or just pure gsync (look it up)? They can be options if you require a gysnc/gsync compatible monitor.

Last edited:
Back