• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKING ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pretorian23

Registered
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and want to say hello. I got my ASUS GTX 780 for a while now and decided to go and flash the BIOS to go extreme overclocking. Is anyone can point me to a legit vBIOS for my GPU? Thank you!

What cooling do you have?

What are the rest of the system components?

PSU?
I'm assuming since you listed radiators that the GPU is on water?

Please be more detailed, assumptions lead to mis-information.
Details about your loop and full system setup will help us help you.

Yes my CPU is on water also all in one loop. I am using Alphacool VPP655 pump, 8 SP120 fans on the rads. All of it in Phanteks Primo. PSU-RAIDMAX RX-1200AE.
I hope I did not miss anything. I am also contemplating putting another 780 into the loop. And for that I would have to go with a new Monitor into 1440.

RAIDMAX PSU? Oy........

Get another before you get ANYTHING else. Generally RAIDMAX PSUs are better as smoke bombs then they are powering PCs...

EDIT: Well, this is the first RAIDMAX unit I have seen 'pass' legit testing. Here is what the review said at the end...

The Raidmax RX-1000AE is quite the contradiction and this results in a passing, but not exactly impressive, unit. There were no tests in which this unit failed, but that does not necessarily make its performance outstanding. Indeed, when compared to its marketing this unit was sorely lacking on the efficiency front and the 1 year warranty support for this unit is laughable. On top of that, the voltage regulation was not great and the unit was a bit noisier in the upper 20% of its output than we have seen from a number of other units in this DC output capacity range.

Last edited:
I edited my post above... its not as bad as they used to be, but they are not Teir1/2 PSU.

I would still look into something better personally. particularly if you are going 2 780s and bios modding them.

Something like the EVGA SUpernova G2 1000W would be what I would look at.

Raidmax is equivocal to garbage in the PSU world.
I agree with EarthDog's suggestion for a new EVGA Supernova G2 1000W. They're honestly the best on the market.

Once you get the PSU situation straightened out I'll be comfortable recommending a BIOS.

Also, what GPU blocks? Full cover? Universal?

If I am not planning to go into 3 way SLI ever wouldn't EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 be enough?

That depends... you are looking into BIOS modding which can raise the power limits significantly and therefore power consumption. It depends on how far you want to push the cards and at what voltages.

That said, to me, unless you are benchmarking competitively, BIOS modding just isn't worth the risk, particularly if you only have one bios. If you have two, go for it!!!

To wrap up, it should be enough, but if you are pushing the heck out of both GPUs and the CPU, I may bump it up a bit higher to the 1KW model. If you stick with the stock bios, that 850 G2 will be plenty.

The 780 is a 250W GPU, at stock.
With BIOS mods, you can assume you'll be able to hit up to 50% more than that on water.

So, assuming two GPU's and an OC'd CPU, that could put you close to 800-850W.

Thank you guys you where very helpful! Let me go and replace that thing in the back of my PC.

So I got my PSU :) In addition a added some things to my PC changed my 4770 to 4790 and added another ASUS GTX 780 DCII. ;D They are all under water and my max temps on the both of gpus are around 40. I tested the cards on the stock cooler and I was able to get 150 mhz on GPU and 650 mhz memory my voltage got to the cap of 1150 mv. That was for the first card and the second was much better I got 200 mhz on the GPU and 900 mhz on memory on 1187 mv. In the SLI i can only achieve the lower cards specs. :( I also read something about a limit after bios hack being 1250 mv. Is that true and can I push beyond that? I have not played with my CPU yet.

Back