• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH FX 8350 OC TO 4.6 GHZ (FOR NOW) :d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my aim is maximize performance even on lower clocks. On phenom II i reached nice 2700 nb on 3.9 GHz, i would like to do nearly the same, if nb clock is a performance boost for fx 8350 as well

2700 is a far goal. though, not impossible ;)

IIRC, NB doesn't have as much impact like it did with the Phenoms.
However, you ought to have it as high as you can clock in order to not bottleneck your RAM if you have it clocked up high.

I can tell you that there is a difference for the better with high NB clocks. I improved my RAM's bandwidth by about 1 Gb/s or so by increasing the NB frequency.

Gains are there to be made, though I'm not sure if one will see it in everyday use....

btw, the lower you can keep the CPU NB v, the less heat you can have ;)
You may also reduce heat by shutting down cores, run 6 cores instead of 8 or even 4 cores to really make the chip cooler.

EDIT: Yes, RGone is right, make sure you're stable at 4.5Ghz before tinkering with everything else otherwise it's nearly impossible to see what's causing instability if everything else is clocked up.

ok thanks for the advices, for now i'll test the 4.5 ghz without touching anithing else, and will see

- - - Updated - - -

AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf >> Page #18 shows the DEFAULT HT Link Speed to be 2600Mhz

Heads up FYI. Early bioses from many motherboard companies showed the HT LInk Speed as defaulted to 2200Mhz but MANY later bioses caught up with the time and AMD specs for FX processors. The good later bioses AUTO set the HT Link Speed to the AMD Default of 2600Mhz. So in reality you will not be overclocking the HT Link Speed unless you are clocking the HT Link Speed faster than 2600MHz.

From Page #18 AMD FX Performance Tuning Guide >> "In most single CPU socket configurations the default 2.6GHz HT Link value offers sufficient amount of bandwidth even for multi-GPU configurations."

RGone...

EDIT:
"kilyan" it probably would be to your advantage to get to a cpu speed of approximately 4.5GHz or maybe a little higher without screwing with all the other buss speeds. Like HT Link Speed and CPU_NB speed and at that 4.5GHz or similar to test with P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours and see if you have any P95 Failures or if the Temps > CPU/Socket stays at 72c or below and if Core/Package temp stays at 62c or below. THEN you might attempt fine tuning other buss speeds that in the end will NOT trump CPU Speed. CPU Speed is KING.
END EDIT.
i can't see the socket temp,where is?Oo

AFTER 2 HOURS 4.5GHZ BLEND TEST...Use the magnifying glass tool to see:D: %windir%\system32\magnify.exe
..i just did it

Attachments

• Cattura.JPG
    Cattura.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 60
That's about as high as you can go on that chip temp wise..

Your choice, shutdown cores and overclock a bit higher or keep all the cores enabled and work on RAM, NB and other timings.

That's about as high as you can go on that chip temp wise..

Your choice, shutdown cores and overclock a bit higher or keep all the cores enabled and work on RAM, NB and other timings.

my performance gains are gaming oriented, not just to see a high number...so if i shut down cores i'll lose performance and that i don't want...witcher 3 is a tough guy fps wise for my rig:D

Air cooled cpus generally have to keep the CPU_NB voltage lower so that temps do not get too high near the end of an overclock rise. That means if you have a weak IMC (inside CPU) and thus have to raise CPU_NB voltage, you cannot get as high a cpu clock and CPU_NB clock at the same time. Since CPU Speed is the KING...throttling back the CPU_NB and then CPU_NB voltage does not really cost any real performance unless you benchmark everyday on a team and need the last 1% that might be found in overclocking the CPU_NB up past 2200MHz.

However at the end of the overclock with cpu multiplier, it is often possible to raise the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq by a few numbers and get a little more CPU speed without adding to the CPU Vcore. It is everybit trial and error no two cpus really act the same. Both of my FX-8350s are good cpus. Bench up around 5.5GHz on cool water, but they have their slight differences in Vcore and how good the IMC is between the two cpus.

RGone...

Last edited:
Air cooled cpus generally have to keep the CPU_NB voltage lower so that temps do not get too high near the end of an overclock rise. That means if you have a weak IMC (inside CPU) and thus have to raise CPU_NB, you cannot get as high a cpu clock and CPU_NB clock at the same time. Since CPU Speed is the KING...throttling back the CPU_NB and then CPU_NB voltage does not really cost any real performance unless you benchmark everyday on a team and need the last 1% that might be found in overclocking the CPU_NB up past 2200MHz.

However at the end of the overclock with cpu multiplier, it is often possible to raise the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq by a few numbers and get a little more CPU speed without adding to the CPU Vcore. It is everybit trial and error no two cpus really act the same. Both of my FX-8350s are good cpus. Bench up around 5.5GHz on cool water, but they have their slight differences in Vcore and how good the IMC is between the two cpus.

RGone...
so now the nb clock is 2200,if i put it too 2000 or 1800 for example the cpu stays cooler, but i don't see a performance drop while gaming, right?
aand downcloking htlink does something good?

Last edited:
ht link does nothing for preformance really.

As for the cores, are your games using all of the cores?
I have the FX 6300, 6 cores yes? No. I have 3 of them turned off and this allowed me to run 4.85Ghz under 1.6 Vcore <- don't run this voltage daily unless you're mad like me!! :p

Point being, I didn't need all 6 cores so I shut 3 off to reduce heat, which allowed a higher overclock. Mind you though, I have a custom water loop whereas you has air cooling.

ht link does nothing for preformance really.

As for the cores, are your games using all of the cores?
I have the FX 6300, 6 cores yes? No. I have 3 of them turned off and this allowed me to run 4.85Ghz under 1.6 Vcore <- don't run this voltage daily unless you're mad like me!! :p

Point being, I didn't need all 6 cores so I shut 3 off to reduce heat, which allowed a higher overclock. Mind you though, I have a custom water loop whereas you has air cooling.

for now i lowererd the nb clock to 1600 and incredibly i was able to run 4.5 ghz on one step backwards on the core....before i was on 54 max temp after 29 mins, now i am on 50..il try to lower the vcore again and see if it passes the blend test:D
just checked and the witcher 3 uses all my cores

Last edited:
I'd leave the NB at 2200Mhz personally. No lower than 2000Mhz.
I would say you are beginning to bottleneck your self at 1600NB. ;)

Glad to see the temps dropped though :thup:

If you're running anything at less than stock, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

If you're running anything at less than stock, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

ouch Oo ...ok, so i returned to the stock clocks,apart the 4500 mhz and strangely lowering just a noch the cpu nb voltage, permitted me to lower the vcore a noch too, resulting in less temp and blend test pass...i don't understand this,but ok
but rgone said:throttling back the CPU_NB and then CPU_NB voltage does not really cost any real performance unless you benchmark everyday on a team and need the last 1% that might be found in overclocking the CPU_NB up past 2200MHz. ...I'm confused @_@

Last edited:
ouch Oo ...ok, so i returned to the stock clocks,apart the 4500 mhz and strangely lowering just a noch the cpu nb voltage, permitted me to lower the vcore a noch too, resulting in less temp and blend test pass...i don't understand this,but ok
but rgone said:throttling back the CPU_NB and then CPU_NB voltage does not really cost any real performance unless you benchmark everyday on a team and need the last 1% that might be found in overclocking the CPU_NB up past 2200MHz. ...I'm confused @_@

I'm sure he meant throttling back your overclock and voltage for that. The CPU is made to handle the stock NB volts and NB frequency. If you take away from the stock speeds, then overclocking is moot.
Run your 4.5 with the CPU/NB at stock volts and speed. Temps will be lower.

I'm sure he meant throttling back your overclock and voltage for that. The CPU is made to handle the stock NB volts and NB frequency. If you take away from the stock speeds, then overclocking is moot.
Run your 4.5 with the CPU/NB at stock volts and speed. Temps will be lower.
i indervolted the nb at stock clock and i could go down one noch the vcore as well.
Now with the fsb...what voltage is related to that? i tried a 240 fsb and 18.5 multi and 1598 ram it didn't boot
What voltage should i increase?

i indervolted the nb at stock clock and i could go down one noch the vcore as well.
Now with the fsb...what voltage is related to that? i tried a 240 fsb and 18.5 multi and 1598 ram it didn't boot
What voltage should i increase?

NB to 1.2v
240 might be a little lofty. Most wind up in the 210 +/- range with the appropriate multiplier.

Back