• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH FX 8350 OC TO 4.6 GHZ (FOR NOW) :d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kilyan...

...Man you do GooD work with those drawings. Wish I could do as well. NICE.

I see nothing wrong in general with your "hanging" fan other than it needs ACCESS to cooler outside air, if at all possible. I have in situations like yours with older cases; had to drill a pattern of holes in front of case level with a fan for it to have ACCESS to outside the case, cooler air.

AND understand this...getting cooler air IN and warmed air OUT of a case is just good sense for use over the long haul. Cool is always better on over-clocked and over-volted electronic parts. You can "never" get enough added cool air in and out of case...at least enough more cooling air than when you started modding, but even so you remove yourself and system further and further away from possible heat issues with HoT FX processor by any additional cool air into case and then gone when warmed. Luck man. Nice work to date.

RGone...ster.

...Man you do GooD work with those drawings. Wish I could do as well. NICE.

I see nothing wrong in general with your "hanging" fan other than it needs ACCESS to cooler outside air, if at all possible. I have in situations like yours with older cases; had to drill a pattern of holes in front of case level with a fan for it to have ACCESS to outside the case, cooler air.

AND understand this...getting cooler air IN and warmed air OUT of a case is just good sense for use over the long haul. Cool is always better on over-clocked and over-volted electronic parts. You can "never" get enough added cool air in and out of case...at least enough more cooling air than when you started modding, but even so you remove yourself and system further and further away from possible heat issues with HoT FX processor by any additional cool air into case and then gone when warmed. Luck man. Nice work to date.

RGone...ster.

You know,AUTOCAD RULEZ:D

I dared to try 4.7 ghz only in game, after 4 hours no crashes. took +0100 on core to get it stable, at least in gaming. don't dare to prime test, because of temps:p

y i know, but ingame i reached max 35 degrees

It is good practice to always say my CPU/Socket Temp was Xc and my Cores/Package Temp was Xc. Actually I almost always give BOTH temps because in HoT FX processor land, both temps really mean something to the overall deal.

Here is how most of us that help people overclock here in this forum section think about an overclock. We only believe in and coach full stability. We do this because we do real work on our computers or some of us do. Gaming only stable on the lesser cpu intensive games would be a complete washout and kick in the head for me when I am video editting. It is a real kick in the head to be half way thru an edit and have my computer crash and maybe take my operating system and lose more time used in arranging my videos than it will take to do the render.

Now we do bench and it is done at outrageous speeds far beyond anything called stable. Now I cannot speak for others but in benching, I am even prone to unhook drives not used in benching but hold my video data so hopefully no chance of losing hours of work.

So because of the too many variables from user to user...we stress 2 hours of stability testing using P95 Blend mode and that then is the speed we most often are speaking about and referring to. Seldom ever do we mention Ultra Fast Cpu Clocks since we have no intention of mis-leading the unwary to consider gaming stable with true and actual considered stability. Now you know more of the rest of the story. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

you're only reaching 35c in game?
this tells me you're not useing all 8 cores in game and you can disabe 2 or four.
you can spend a whole lot of time fighting ram to improve game but it will never buy you anything you will ever see, I have been there and done that, from 800 to 2400, you will never "see" it.
open your task manager, click the performance tab, play your game windowed and watch the loading on the cores, my bet is that you only see 2 or four at max doing anything.
what game are you playing????

you're only reaching 35c in game?
this tells me you're not useing all 8 cores in game and you can disabe 2 or four.
you can spend a whole lot of time fighting ram to improve game but it will never buy you anything you will ever see, I have been there and done that, from 800 to 2400, you will never "see" it.
open your task manager, click the performance tab, play your game windowed and watch the loading on the cores, my bet is that you only see 2 or four at max doing anything.
what game are you playing????
Hi,that 4.7 ghz it's without touching fsb and other voltages.
Well about the core usage, i don't need to put the game on windowed, because i can see the usage of the cores on the overlay ingame
They are all used about 10-12%, so maybe i can deactivate some of them. But now i wonder why in the reccomended req. for the witcher 3, an 8 core is reccomended, if it doesn't use much all cores?Oo
Edit:Thinking closely, i think this game is not cpu intensive,but i'll do the attempt to deactivate 4 cores and see ahow it behaves

Last edited:
It is good practice to always say my CPU/Socket Temp was Xc and my Cores/Package Temp was Xc. Actually I almost always give BOTH temps because in HoT FX processor land, both temps really mean something to the overall deal.

Here is how most of us that help people overclock here in this forum section think about an overclock. We only believe in and coach full stability. We do this because we do real work on our computers or some of us do. Gaming only stable on the lesser cpu intensive games would be a complete washout and kick in the head for me when I am video editting. It is a real kick in the head to be half way thru an edit and have my computer crash and maybe take my operating system and lose more time used in arranging my videos than it will take to do the render.

Now we do bench and it is done at outrageous speeds far beyond anything called stable. Now I cannot speak for others but in benching, I am even prone to unhook drives not used in benching but hold my video data so hopefully no chance of losing hours of work.

So because of the too many variables from user to user...we stress 2 hours of stability testing using P95 Blend mode and that then is the speed we most often are speaking about and referring to. Seldom ever do we mention Ultra Fast Cpu Clocks since we have no intention of mis-leading the unwary to consider gaming stable with true and actual considered stability. Now you know more of the rest of the story. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

I got what you mean, but in the rpgs i play,i can save often so if it crashes it is not a problem. So far no crashes, and i always look closely to gpu temps and cpu temps,they are always under my eyes. I don't dare to say i'm rocksolid stable, because i would lie. But as far as it doesn't crash, all is good:p
I don't know why, but in my case core and socket temps are quite the same, 1 degree of difference. I checked this while i was prime testing for 2 hours.
In addition, i hope for bsods because they tell me exactly what is the problem, and i can raise the right voltage without going random.
For example if i get a 0xa bsod i know is related to nb voltage or ram, ox3b, more vcore,0x101,i'm near stability,need just one more noch of vcore and so on.
i Follow a kind of this guide,but mine is in italian: http://www.overclock.net/a/common-bsod-error-code-list-for-overclocking
For me bsods are more a lifesaver than a pain in the arse:D

bsod's are to be avoided, they prove that we are unstable, they corrupt our operating system and that, in itself makes us unstable.

witcher 3 is about the gpu, but, the cpu has to feed the gpu.
in all my gpu games I find that piledriver cores need to run at 4.5 or so to not bottleneck the system, in the games that are about the cpu cores I find that if I can get them above 5.0 or higher they run better, if I can get it stable.
5.0 stable will always play smoother than 5.2 unstable.

continue clocking please.

y i know, but ingame i reached max 35 degrees

RGone...ster.

That's only in that game, if you were to play something more intensive as I hear BF4 is your PC will likely overheat and shut down. It's up to you what you do with your system but if you don't get some sort of stability you WILL run into problems, most likely sooner than later.

bsod's are to be avoided, they prove that we are unstable, they corrupt our operating system and that, in itself makes us unstable.

in all my gpu games I find that piledriver cores need to run at 4.5 or so to not bottleneck the system, in the games that are about the cpu cores I find that if I can get them above 5.0 or higher they run better, if I can get it stable.

In the witcher 3 clocking the cpu doesn't improve much for me(i'm only using the multi), while overclocking the gpu, gave me 10 more fpses. I don't think if using the fsb method to overclock would do something better, considering what was said before, overclocking ram does not give significant improvements you can get aware of, i don't know about the nb clock.One thing i find fishy, is that my gpu core can't go over +79 from 1085 factory core overclock(but it boosts at 1333),while i could add +395 on the ram,from the default 3005. with these settings, i do benchmarks and get no artifacts in heaven benchmark and furmark. But if i try to add just +1 core,that is to say 80. i get loads of purple artifacts...another thing is, my fans do a strange noise past 80% speed, i never gave too much attention to that,since they never go that high normally, but i wonder if it is some fan defection or what

- - - Updated - - -

That's only in that game, if you were to play something more intensive as I hear BF4 is your PC will likely overheat and shut down. It's up to you what you do with your system but if you don't get some sort of stability you WILL run into problems, most likely sooner than later.

To be honest ac unity,beated the crap out of my pc, more than bf4 .on bf4 i got loads of bsods requiring more juice, but i never got over 50 degrees and the pc never shutted down itself .My brother plays bf4 hardline, and i put the system always back to 4.4 for him. I saved all my successful overcloking presets, to be used as i need:p..i know that game hurts my pc a lot, i had to higher the voltages a lot in the phenom to get it stable: 3.9ghz,235 fsb with 2700 nb clock ,1.4375 vcore and 1.26 nb voltage...now,with fx 8350 at 4.4 stock,he plays without v-sync and gets 90-100 fps on my 60 hz monitor, more than enough:D

i will certainly continue to do tests, i want to experiment more with the fsb

Last edited:
kilyan...

...Good deal man. I see you got the drift of stable and not 24/7 work stable and I see you also use different saved bios presets for various games. Says you are not wandering around aimlessly. Hehehe. You have a better idea what and how you need to setup to do your 'stuff'. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

It does seem that you at least have some understanding of what is needed. That's a good start. You also keep an eye on your temps so as RGone said have fun and game on.

...Good deal man. I see you got the drift of stable and not 24/7 work stable and I see you also use different saved bios presets for various games. Says you are not wandering around aimlessly. Hehehe. You have a better idea what and how you need to setup to do your 'stuff'. Luck man.

RGone...ster.
+1

But just a thought, since there is little difference performance wise between a couple hundred Mhz overclock, why bother taking the time to switch? Just run something stable is my take. Save yourself time and effort. ;)

+1

But just a thought, since there is little difference performance wise between a couple hundred Mhz overclock, why bother taking the time to switch? Just run something stable is my take. Save yourself time and effort. ;)

Must disagree, because overclocking is funny indeed, but takes time while loading a preset, takes a second:D.and unfortunately, temp wise i'm stuck on 4.5 for 24/7..On 4.6 reached also 62 degerees after 10 minutes, . If i don't stress as i should, all is fine at 4.7:D..I think maybe changing case i'd get improvements in temp, that case is not one of the worse nor is one of the best...maybe for my next birthday nearly in a month, i will do my self a present, and buy a cool case...i heard good of the carbide ,but i love that damn 150 euro haf-x :S..i'd like to spend less getting same performance as that case...impossible?:D

Last edited:
It is more time and effort to reboot, go into bios, enable profile and boot again. Or in windows, to open up the program and click than it is to not have to do any of that stuff and sit at a known stable clockspeed. Your choice of course. I value my time, even if its 30 seconds to reboot, or 10 seconds to switch profiles in windows. ;)

Either way.. enjoy that PC! :)

It is more time and effort to reboot, go into bios, enable profile and boot again. Or in windows, to open up the program and click than it is to not have to do any of that stuff and sit at a known stable clockspeed. Your choice of course. I value my time, even if its 30 seconds to reboot, or 10 seconds to switch profiles in windows. ;)

Either way.. enjoy that PC! :)

In my case boots in 15 secs, and since that profile change happens once a day, while switching on the pc, it is not much of a problem...i can trash few secs of my life, who cares,since i don't have a life:D
Any case suggestion besides the carbide and haf-x :p

Back