• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH FX 8350 OC TO 4.6 GHZ (FOR NOW) :d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not really... cases for the most part, are for the eye of the beholder.

I can tell you I enjoyed my Corsair Carbide Air 540, and currently run a ThermalTake Core X9 (they have a mid-tower sized cube too).

kilyan

changing case i'd get improvements in temp, that case is not one of the worse nor is one of the best...maybe for my next birthday nearly in a month, i will do my self a present, and buy a cool case...i heard good of the carbide ,but i love that damn 150 euro haf-x :S..i'd like to spend less getting same performance as that case...impossible?:D

Problem for me always seems to be the buying of less than I wanted. Now am not talking about a $100,000.00 car over a $35,000 car but where price difference maybe in the $50.00 to $100.00 range on what are nearly equivalent items. IF I spend $20.00 less for a Seagate HDD for backup files and did not get the WD Blue drive...well I am always wondering at the fact Seagate "seems" to fail more often *today*. Now I know how that feels since I just did that save $20.00 that way and am still kicking myself. I would have felt much better and had more 'peace' for the $20.00 spent. If you cannot ensure the Carbide is very very doable for you...get the HAF-X. You will like yourself better over the years. Hehehe. Take it from a dumb ole faht.

I am 99% in agreement with E_D on just running one stable speed against the couple of 100MHz difference in CPU speed. But in a manner of speaking I concurr with you also about 'for you' it is not a problem to adjust for apps and users. Heck that is what they put those profiles in bios for. I think so anyway. Now for me there is a fully measurable difference in doing my video editting and then render at 4.5GHz against 4.8GHz. About 12 seconds less time to render each 1 minute of video. Do the math for an hour of video. However I am 2 hours P95 Blend stable at both speeds. So what to do?

I have my CHV setup to run Offset Vcore and have Windows power manager setup to a balanced mode with Idle mode using 25% of max cpu speed. Of course max speed in balanced power manager is set to MAX. The only GREEN thing disabled in bios is TurboCore. I neither want nor need it setup the way I now run cpu speed and cpu voltages.

What do I get from setting up with Offset Vcore and Windows power manage? I get about 1600MHz at idle with pretty much no load. And the speed of cpu in use right now typing this. Vcore at this rate is approximately 0.986V. Hehehe. Temps next to nothing. BUT when I do something that can use the power, my rig hits the after burners and jumps to 4.8GHz and 1.3875Vcore and ready to do work. Takes a pretty fair board and some trial and error to get it all dialed in but this is the only way I would run any system anymore. And is especially fit for these HI HEAT FX processors.

You get you some CooL in that case and do similar for CPU volts and speed and you will wonder how it is that you never did such before. I did when I first did Offset Vcore and now having done it so often...well I know exactly what to look for and trial and error is down to less than a few mins to get stable at the lessser cpu/vcore and also allow the big arse jump to 4.8GHz. Created a real grin when I finally spent the time to learn the "how-to". Luck man. Am saying this all since I see you do not ask 'why' everytime, but rather apply your own deductive powers to move or not move. You in my mind are a real breath of fresh air to work with. Keep those diagrams going man.

RGone...

One of our members has put together a pretty good list of cases here. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

thanks,will check that

- - - Updated - - -

Not really... cases for the most part, are for the eye of the beholder.

I can tell you I enjoyed my Corsair Carbide Air 540, and currently run a ThermalTake Core X9 (they have a mid-tower sized cube too).

Well don't really care if it's ugly, i care more for it's performance. Haf-x has both, coolness and performance:p

Problem for me always seems to be the buying of less than I wanted. Now am not talking about a $100,000.00 car over a $35,000 car but where price difference maybe in the $50.00 to $100.00 range on what are nearly equivalent items. IF I spend $20.00 less for a Seagate HDD for backup files and did not get the WD Blue drive...well I am always wondering at the fact Seagate "seems" to fail more often *today*. Now I know how that feels since I just did that save $20.00 that way and am still kicking myself. I would have felt much better and had more 'peace' for the $20.00 spent. If you cannot ensure the Carbide is very very doable for you...get the HAF-X. You will like yourself better over the years. Hehehe. Take it from a dumb ole faht.
RGone...
You know what, haf-x is from some time around, wonder if there is something newer,better at nearly the same price...when i buy something, i always have those kind of nightmares with open eyes:D

Last edited by a moderator:
when i buy something, i always have those kind of nightmares with open eyes:D

I have been wondering if I would do better to close my eyes? Hehehe. It took me a month to decide on buying my last case which I finally bought now about a month ago. Phanteks Enthoo LUXE. Nice case. Not cheap...but the real kick I have not sorted is if I now have to get a 'thinner' 360 radiator since I want and will have the rad in top mount with the ability to push/pull fans if I want or need to. Looked at HAF-X but settled on the 'glitz' of the Phanteks Enthoo LUXE. But it was first radiator mounted where I want and then 'glitz'. Hehehe. I may close my eyes next time.

RGone...

Yeah disabling ubersampling from the ini file, reducing the foliage distance and disabling hairworks, or disabling it's unuseful antialiasing, gave more fpses indeed.

I have been wondering if I would do better to close my eyes? Hehehe. It took me a month to decide on buying my last case which I finally bought now about a month ago. Phanteks Enthoo LUXE. Nice case. Not cheap...but the real kick I have not sorted is if I now have to get a 'thinner' 360 radiator since I want and will have the rad in top mount with the ability to push/pull fans if I want or need to. Looked at HAF-X but settled on the 'glitz' of the Phanteks Enthoo LUXE. But it was first radiator mounted where I want and then 'glitz'. Hehehe. I may close my eyes next time.

RGone...

Than i can't look at that case thread, because more doubts will beat my mind:S..I can't even say buying the haf-x i would throw money out of the window, probably i've thrown already when i bought the chieftech some time ago...XD...It was from the oldie athlon 64x2 years,and i was totally noob in buyng a pc...so i got fooled by the shop assistant-.-

Last edited by a moderator:
Well h*ll Kilyan, just get a little more hard headed and work more on air flow in your ChiefTec and you will be there most likely. Drill a pattern of holes in front of case where that hanging fan can get some air and put some serious fan pulling out thru the rear...probably good to go for sometime. Just my brain fahting around.

RGone...

two very ggod cases have come up and I have both, the hafx and air540, both good cases.

+1

But just a thought, since there is little difference performance wise between a couple hundred Mhz overclock, why bother taking the time to switch? Just run something stable is my take. Save yourself time and effort. ;)

I have to agree here.
Must disagree, because overclocking is funny indeed, but takes time while loading a preset, takes a second:D.and unfortunately, temp wise i'm stuck on 4.5 for 24/7..On 4.6 reached also 62 degerees after 10 minutes, . If i don't stress as i should, all is fine at 4.7:D..I think maybe changing case i'd get improvements in temp, that case is not one of the worse nor is one of the best...maybe for my next birthday nearly in a month, i will do my self a present, and buy a cool case...i heard good of the carbide ,but i love that damn 150 euro haf-x :S..i'd like to spend less getting same performance as that case...impossible?:D

You will get tired of doing it soon enough.

hi, i disabled 4 cores, and right now i passed 20 minutes blend bench 4.8 ghz max temp 55 vcore 1.43...but i wonder:is it worth losing 4 cores for higher clocks, performance wise?

It depends on weather or not the software can even use the other cores, cinebench, all 8 cores, super pi, single core.

but i wonder:is it worth losing 4 cores for higher clocks, performance wise?

That only YOU can answer. Testing in what YOU use the computer for. For me it would make me want to throw up but most of that is because I need the 8 cores for what I do that is work most of the time and the rest of the time I use Offset Vcore and Windows Power Manager to throttle all cores back to ~1600Mhz and about 0.986Volts on the cpu. More than one way to skin a cat as the old timers used to say.

caddi daddi said:
software can even use the other cores
C_D is spot on and why I said YOU will have to do your own testing. C_D has and probably still does play a game that will NOT use more than 4 cores...so disabling 4 and getting to nearly 5.0GHz (he has cool) is a good thing for him since he says his 4 core only game is buttery smooth and finger licking good up there with HI Cpu Speed. It is what is what in one's own system that really is of most importance.

RGone...ster.

I have a noctua nh-d14 2011 version with a amd bracket. My temps arnt any were near as bad as his. I hit 4.5 ghz with turbo keeping under 60c.

I have a noctua nh-d14 2011 version with a amd bracket. My temps arnt any were near as bad as his. I hit 4.5 ghz with turbo keeping under 60c.

1. Kilyan is struggling with case air flow we believe. You have HAF-X which he is debating.

2. TurboCore will never push ALL 8 cores to 4.5GHz but only up to one half the cores. He is pushing all 8 cores in his mode of overclocking. HUGE difference there in heat output. Huge.

I am 99% in agreement with E_D on just running one stable speed against the couple of 100MHz difference in CPU speed. But in a manner of speaking I concurr with you also about 'for you' it is not a problem to adjust for apps and users. Heck that is what they put those profiles in bios for. I think so anyway. Now for me there is a fully measurable difference in doing my video editting and then render at 4.5GHz against 4.8GHz. About 12 seconds less time to render each 1 minute of video. Do the math for an hour of video. However I am 2 hours P95 Blend stable at both speeds. So what to do?

I have my CHV setup to run Offset Vcore and have Windows power manager setup to a balanced mode with Idle mode using 25% of max cpu speed. Of course max speed in balanced power manager is set to MAX. The only GREEN thing disabled in bios is TurboCore. I neither want nor need it setup the way I now run cpu speed and cpu voltages.

What do I get from setting up with Offset Vcore and Windows power manage? I get about 1600MHz at idle with pretty much no load. And the speed of cpu in use right now typing this. Vcore at this rate is approximately 0.986V. Hehehe. Temps next to nothing. BUT when I do something that can use the power, my rig hits the after burners and jumps to 4.8GHz and 1.3875Vcore and ready to do work. Takes a pretty fair board and some trial and error to get it all dialed in but this is the only way I would run any system anymore. And is especially fit for these HI HEAT FX processors.

You get you some CooL in that case and do similar for CPU volts and speed and you will wonder how it is that you never did such before. I did when I first did Offset Vcore and now having done it so often...well I know exactly what to look for and trial and error is down to less than a few mins to get stable at the lessser cpu/vcore and also allow the big arse jump to 4.8GHz. Created a real grin when I finally spent the time to learn the "how-to". Luck man. Am saying this all since I see you do not ask 'why' everytime, but rather apply your own deductive powers to move or not move. You in my mind are a real breath of fresh air to work with. Keep those diagrams going man.

RGone...

Ill have to add these recommendations to my bucket list!
Great stability advice and project for me personally I haven't put time in!

The list grows.

I gave it a slight overclock of 4.4ghz it for some reason turbo up to 4.5ghz I have made a post with the results in a another thread.

hello,so i stayed at 4.8ghz and tested with the witcher 3: seems to use all cores at nearly 80% (that's disabling 4 cores)..but i can't reenable them now. In bios they are recognized but windows ignore them. I tried to look in msconfig , to set them in the advanced option, but seems i can't save msconfig settings,says something about bitlocker files missing or damaged(i don't even know what it is that for!)..Should i open a different thread for this problem, to not go too offtopic?

hello,so i stayed at 4.8ghz and tested with the witcher 3: seems to use all cores at nearly 80% (that's disabling 4 cores)..but i can't reenable them now. In bios they are recognized but windows ignore them. I tried to look in msconfig , to set them in the advanced option, but seems i can't save msconfig settings,says something about bitlocker files missing or damaged(i don't even know what it is that for!)..Should i open a different thread for this problem, to not go too offtopic?
Time for OS repair or re-install.

Back