• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-ITX gaming build help (for LAN parties, living room, etc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Sorry for crossposting if it bothers anyone.

Anyways,
So my friend's MSI GT60 laptop has gone bad. Processor and Ram should still be good though. He offered to sell it to me for $150 and i was hoping to salvage the CPU and RAM to build a mini-ITX living room HT/Gaming PC. The CPU it has is an i7-3610qm and 12gb of RAM. Good start right? Upon inspection of motherboards though, it seems finding properly compatible sockets for the 45w TDP of that CPU is a little vague. Ive found a few motherboards though and would like a little guidance into picking the right one.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/QM67/X9SCV-QV4.cfm
This one specifies "Socket G2 (rPGA 988B) up to 45W, Intel® 2nd Generation Core i7/i5/i3, Celeron processor B800 series supported, up to 35W with Intel® 3rd Generation Processors."
Well the i7-3610qm is a 3rd gen processor...and that description states for 3rd gen it only supports 35w? Or will it still work? I can't seem to find a specific supported CPU list for this mobo.

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=996&proname=NF9G-QM77
Now i see this one is a QM77 chipset as opposed to supermicro's QM67 chipset, and it specifies in the CPU support list it supports other 3rd gen 45w TDP i7 CPUs, but not the 3610qm specifically. However, if it supports other 3rd gen i7-36xxQM 45w CPUs, the 3610qm should be good to go yes? This one seems like the one to go with upon further inspection.

That is all i could seem to find that is viable to use for that socket. Maybe you guys are aware of something else that i am not. Also, would a nicer cooler be recommended over the packaged one with the mobo? Any recommendations there?

And lastly, i do want to use this as a LAN party PC as well since i host them regularly (either at my place or friend's place), so i wonder...would it be possible to use the laptop LCD that i will be salvaging the parts from with this setup? Some searching pointed me to this on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VG...-a-Bare-Laptop-LCD-into-Monitor-/111115624120

Would be pretty cool to salvage the screen to use it as a portable setup.

Anyways, thanks in advance. Your guys's help is appreciated.

you will have to find a board that will accept that cpu. the mini itx boards I have used all have 1150 socket

Well, I'd remembered your comment about Jetway 'boards from my first visit, if there'd been less fluff showing on screen during my subsequent visit, I might also have been reminded of you also having mentioned Supermicro, thus saving me wasting my time and yours.

I've since turned off displaying Sigs, if only there was a similar method to turn off sarcastic GIFs...

Good luck.

Well, I'd remembered your comment about Jetway 'boards from my first visit, if there'd been less fluff showing on screen during my subsequent visit, I might also have been reminded of you also having mentioned Supermicro, thus saving me wasting my time and yours.

I've since turned off displaying Sigs, if only there was a similar method to turn off sarcastic GIFs...

Good luck.

The gifs were supposed to be funny but if thats how you wanna be, so be it.

but man....this place isnt what it use to be. Back in my day, people would actually read the posts before replying. Oh well.

My line of thinking is that it would end up being much more expensive to find a board that will accept that CPU, than it would be to grab an ITX board and new CPU. You could still use the monitor on the side like you were thinking, but as far as the CPU is concerned, I would just save it until someone can use it, or sell it on Ebay.

My line of thinking is that it would end up being much more expensive to find a board that will accept that CPU, than it would be to grab an ITX board and new CPU. You could still use the monitor on the side like you were thinking, but as far as the CPU is concerned, I would just save it until someone can use it, or sell it on Ebay.

Well the jetway board i found runs about $200. Then my buddy will sell me his laptop i have to pull the parts from for $150. So $350 and i have an i7, 12gb ram, and a mobo. At that price point, would it seem better off to go with a micro-atx build? I'll put some stuff together on newegg and see what it costs. With an amazon gift card i have waiting though, i could get the above linked jetway board and the case i want for right about $200. So then case, mobo, cpu, ram for $350 going that route. I already have a PSU, would just need a graphics card. Hmmm....

Update: Well an AMD FX-6300 build would actually cost less. I guess buying the laptop for parts off my buddy isn't really feasible unless he basically gives it me. :-/

Last edited:
Back