• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A GTX970 for folding bang-for-buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
What's the best GPU "bang-for-the-buck" and points nowadays? I'd like to crank some serious points again.

I believe 970s

The GTX970 does 260,000 ppd or better for what 150 watts or so and 300$
The GTX960 does 160,000 for around the same wattage and 200$
I think the GTX980 do over 300,000- 350,000 but costs what 500$ or more?

GTX970, how 'bout this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088

I don't know a lot about modern GPUs, but I want some decent folding power, as I'm back working full time now. ;)

I would own it. EVGA has great cust. service.
But. There have been some problems with coil whine on GTX970 cards. Not every card not always.
I guess all manufacturers are having some problems.
Mine does not have it. I have the EVGA xxxx74 model. Sometimes after a burn in it goes away if it does have it.
Worse comes to worst, send it back.

Go for it, that's a solid model with a good factory overclock.

And EVGA rebates come back quick in my experience.

One consideration using a 970 for folding is whether to go with Ubuntu. I am using Ubuntu and getting about 325,000 PPD on my 970.
With Windows 7 I was getting lots of core 15 WUs which dropped my daily PPD to about 100,000 on average for doing some core 17s and some core 15s.

For me I get, triple the PPD using Ubuntu (no core 15 WUs) rather than Windows 7.

The thread here, might interest you. EVGA all the way. Personally I like the FTW cards, but that is just me. Posted Kill-A-Watt numbers on various units around here in another thread. If you need more, let me know. :thup:

I use the evga 970 FTW, over 300,000 ppd using linux, zorin9, ubuntus unity sucks and crashes all day.
the ftw is flawless in every way.
I set it with a +60 oc, it's not a good clocker, and the fans locked to around 50% gives me temps in the low to mid 50's.

I use the evga 970 FTW, over 300,000 ppd using linux, zorin9, ubuntus unity sucks and crashes all day.
the ftw is flawless in every way.
I set it with a +60 oc, it's not a good clocker, and the fans locked to around 50% gives me temps in the low to mid 50's.

You can overclock GPUs in Linux? How are you doing ti?

I'm running an EVGA GTX 970 FTW (04G-P4-2978-KR) with Ubuntu.

To overclock your GTX 970 in Ubuntu, you can use NVIDIA X Server Setting utility that is installed with the driver.

Open it by a single left click.
Open the Power Mizer. I have Adaptive selected and +80 in the Graphics Offset window. This setting puts the gpu at 1484 MHz.
Then go to Thermal Setting to set your fan speed if you want. I set my fan to 50%. 50% keeps the gpu at 60 degree Celsius.

Thanks to all for the expert guidance and relevant links, it's been a long time coming for me getting into some folding hardware upgrades. Linux is my preferred OS, so I'm happy to hear that it's also the current recommended, production-wise.

Oh, PCI 3.0...I better check specs on my available rigs.

Edit: O.K., we're good, my ASRock X79 Extreme4 has PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot. <whew>

Clicking Secure Checkout right now! ;)

Last edited:
Well, my GTX 970 arrived yesterday, and is installed in my x79 machine running Ubuntu 14.04 with the MATE desktop environment.

I installed the latest FAH V7 control and the client. However, all the features are "grayed out"(see spoiler below) meaning I have no means to enter user name, team or passkey. I know I'm missing something simple, but that's usually when troubles occur. :shrug:

Anyone recognize this situation?

A screenshot:

Last edited:
Maybe you need to go into the terminal and start the client.

"sudo FAHClient" hit enter; then enter your password if needed.

Then see if the FAHControl is active.

You did not mention whether you have the Nvidia driver installed.

Maybe you need to go into the terminal and start the client.

"sudo FAHClient" hit enter; then enter your password if needed.

Then see if the FAHControl is active.

You did not mention whether you have the Nvidia driver installed.

I intended to use the 340.xx driver, but apparently it was not installed correctly. My GUI is broken right now, have to fix that later as I have to go down the hill for a BBQ.

...be back later. ;)

I got the v7 client config'd and running, but the FAHcontrol wouldn't accept my adding a slot for the GPU.

then,

I got tired of the frequent system problem / crash pop-ups (must be the Unity DE) so I installed MATE.

then,

I got tired and took a nap. Now it's time for dinner...be back later. ;)

Back