• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A GTX970 for folding bang-for-buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
don't even bother with unity, it bites, crashes on me, I have gone to zorin 9, ubuntu based and hayesK's instructins work like a dream.
works the same using mint also.

don't even bother with unity, it bites, crashes on me, I have gone to zorin 9, ubuntu based and hayesK's instructins work like a dream.
works the same using mint also.

Yep, using Zorin 9 here as well. Runs between 270K ppd and 330K ppd depending on WU.

Which edition? And 32 or 64 bit? Looking at the list here, thought the light edition would be best but is 64 bit necessary?
Edit: Well nvm obviously I'd be RAM limited with the 32 bit version. Nvm! :(

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Odd, tried downloading via their site, kinda slow...
slow.jpg

So I looked for a torrent, and WOWZER!
fast.png

:clap:

Last edited:
I was not successful with getting the Nvidia drivers installed in Linux....in the manner that the v7 client requires. I'm no stranger to Linux folding, but I don't have alot of experience with GPU folding(Windows or Linux). This past weekend I just folded in Windows, but I've not given up on GPU folding in Linux, I'm just wanting to: 1.understand why/what I could be doing wrong or missing; 2. would like to try "something" that differs from what I've done repeatedly in my graphics driver install efforts.

O.K., I got it! :clap: I didn't do anything different or "magic" with the driver install from the ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa repo, the problem was my lack of experience with the v7 configuration, specifically the adding a slot part.

:facepalm:

Better late-than-never. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the help! :salute:

Zorin 9 is what I went with since it's proven to be successful with nvidia GPU folding. I don't know "what" component of the xserver stack makes the difference, there's the driver and then...what?

Anyway, Zorin's not too bad as a daily system, with the annoying compiz visual fluff disabled.

I have another machine that's going to get a folding GPU, probably a lesser expensive card like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500371

I'll just run a mainstream Linux install like Debian stable or....maybe something unstable like the latest Fedora build. I'd like to find out specifically 'what' it is that makes Linux GPU folding setup so cumbersome for alot of people. Perhaps jcoffland, the v7 developer can shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Are all GTX 970 pretty much equal in terms of Folding in Linux? I see that there is a price difference of around $50 between the difference brands.

just get one with a good cooler and set the fans to maintain about 60c or a noise level you can live with.
mine will only clock to about 1460 and will churn out around 300,000 ppd.

just get one with a good cooler and set the fans to maintain about 60c or a noise level you can live with.
mine will only clock to about 1460 and will churn out around 300,000 ppd.

I'm HOH and wear hearing aids outside the house, so I can put with a lot at home. :D

an evga ftw was a good choice for me all around, mine is not a good clocker, folds great, plays all the games I like to play at 1440 well.
I have downloaded and played other games and in some it struggles some at 1440, so if you are a big gamer above 1080 save for a 980.

I'm not a gamer - never have been, never will be. I buy all these GPUs and I've never gamed with any of them, I only Fold.

an evga ftw was a good choice for me all around, mine is not a good clocker, folds great, plays all the games I like to play at 1440 well.
I have downloaded and played other games and in some it struggles some at 1440, so if you are a big gamer above 1080 save for a 980.

I'm doing the pee-pee dance right now waiting to pull the trigger on the 970.

The only thing I'm wondering is if I will get the same PPD using Linus in VM Ware?

Back