• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
$370 for 8GB "290X" ? ... I'm not sure what to say. $370+5%+23%+15% duty/delivery/tax/distributors margin = ~$550 in Poland .. yey ?

Guess waiting for official release but looks to be a shame. Only one way to tell is for official reviews to show up.
Though drivers over time will increase performance but that seems close right now not mind blowing.

I will be wanting to get a new video card soon...I was hoping that AMD can compete and cause a drop in prices. All looks good for me though no matter which way I go, the increase in performance will be great :) Though Price is the key here for me, as in New Zealand, a 980Ti is $1200+ so yeah just a little pricey. My hope is for the higher end AMD cards to be <1k

I will be wanting to get a new video card soon...I was hoping that AMD can compete and cause a drop in prices. All looks good for me though no matter which way I go, the increase in performance will be great :) Though Price is the key here for me, as in New Zealand, a 980Ti is $1200+ so yeah just a little pricey. My hope is for the higher end AMD cards to be <1k

Is the shipping there that much? I thought the NZ dollar was pretty strong. If 980Tis go for 650US that would be 930NZ they bucking you for 270 shipping? Dang I could almost fly down and visit family for that. I did forget the crazy taxes you have down there too. Would be cheaper to get a family member in the US, if you have any, to help you out.

Sapphire R9 390X 8GB TRI-X OC listed for preorder at BLT.

http://www.shopblt.com/item/sapphire-technology-11241-00-20g-sap-radeon-r9/u150_112410020g.html
Capture1133.jpg

A guy at [H] forums has an XFX 390x in hand and has posted some benchies and pics.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865280

390X BIOS dump: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=85146925914006580479

Last edited:
We've known about the 390X being a rebadge for quite some time now, give us what we want! Fury!!!!!!!!

Yea basically 390x is what the 7970 is to the 280x , slightly optimized but basically the exact same thing re-badged from 290x.

Its too bad AMD couldn't stick with a naming scheme instead of trying to fool consumers with a bump in the #'s.

But i guess Nvidia does the same thing and has been doing so far longer.

480GTX - Flagship
580GTX - Flagship
680GTX - Flagship
wait Titan out of no where. ?
Titan Flagship! only to be surpassed by a better card not long later cuz nvidia sandbagged.
780GTX - Flagshi--errr nm
780TI -Flagship
980GTX flagsh--wait again 980TI-Flagship ? no is it the titan x or the ? hmmm both absurdly priced anyhow.

My point being it was kind of nice with AMD.

4890 - 5970-6970-7970-290- always releasing their flagship cards DAY 1 or at-least announcing them same time frame so people know what to buy for the current amd generation.

Yea basically 390x is what the 7970 is to the 280x , slightly optimized but basically the exact same thing re-badged from 290x.

Its too bad AMD couldn't stick with a naming scheme instead of trying to fool consumers with a bump in the #'s.

But i guess Nvidia does the same thing and has been doing so far longer.

480GTX - Flagship
580GTX - Flagship
680GTX - Flagship
wait Titan out of no where. ?
Titan Flagship! only to be surpassed by a better card not long later cuz nvidia sandbagged.
780GTX - Flagshi--errr nm
780TI -Flagship
980GTX flagsh--wait again 980TI-Flagship ? no is it the titan x or the ? hmmm both absurdly priced anyhow.

My point being it was kind of nice with AMD.

4890 - 5970-6970-7970-290- always releasing their flagship cards DAY 1 or at-least announcing them same time frame so people know what to buy for the current amd generation.

With nvidia it was like:
480 = flagship
580 = flagship
680 = they changed naming of the cards couple of weeks before premiere and put higher price for their lower series card - that's why it was 256bit and not 384
780 = this should be flagship instead of 680 but they released it when they fixed problems with production as new top of the line ... but wait there was also Titan ... and then 780Ti
780Ti = just improved 780 released with delay what made most who bought Titans sorry for high money loss
980 = similar story as 680 but there were no leaks which were telling us what they did ... again no competition so nvidia is making more money on theoretically lower series product
980Ti = hard to say if it's again flagship or Titan X is ... ridiculous price

After price/model changing of GTX600 nvidia was proud they made their highest profit. Users were buying these cards thinking that these are top of the line models paying premium for average chips. With GTX780 was similar. Even manufacturers thought that's the highest series. MSI lost a lot of money on Lightnings and didn't want to make the same mistake with GTX980 that's why they will only release GTX980Ti. Now look how low difference in performance is between GTX970 and GTX980 while price difference is really high. Not to mention the way how memory is working on GTX970. Hard to say if it was money saving or they simply wanted these cards to run slower so some part of users decide on GTX980. Without slower memory GTX970 would be nearly as fast as GTX980.

AMD made it like:
4870 -> added improved 4890 / new core
5870 -> new core
6970 -> new core but kinda disappointment , AMD said these cards are not the best and price wasn't so high
7970 -> new core and much faster -> after 290X premiere rebranded to 280x
290X -> new core and much faster -> with more memory rebranded to 390X, maybe they finally fix black screen etc issues
Fury XT -> new core

AMD has a lot of rebranded cards but at least their top of the line chips are new and improved. Still you have to know what are you buying. I just hope that top models won't be too expensive. Nvidia is clearly taking advantage of poor situation of AMD bumping prices for everything. Looking at their cards something like GTX960 supposed to replace GTX750 not 760. AMD simply had nothing good to offer in this price range so Nvidia sees no reason to drop price when they can earn a lot more.

Last edited:
Hoping it's not a refresh I am looking in to upgrading to a new arc card maybe the mid section of them a replacement for my 7850

390 and 390x are refreshes of the 290 290x. The 390 is 370$, the 390x is around 450$. Both feature 8gb, which severely puts the favor to the 390 non x.

The 390x is in between a 970 and 980, but with the price drop of the 980, it's no contest. The 390 should be near identical to the 970, but has 8gb vice 3.5gb.

Not sure who in their right mind would get a 390x, it just doesn't make any sense what so ever. New r9 290x 8gb cards are 330-350$ and are pretty much just the same.

Epic fail on amd unless they have a massive driver update thst makes them perform much better.

I suspect the 380 to be a refresh of the 285. That would make a LOT of sense, and more vram would basically knock the 960 out of any competition. Let's hope the Radeon fury will be more exciting.

Note, I won't put links for now because apparently amd is issuing cease and desist orders for people posting preliminary data before the official launch. Good work best buy!!!

apparently amd is issuing cease and desist orders for people posting preliminary data before the official launch. Good work best buy!!!

I've never liked the 1st ammendment either. That sounds like Best Buy's issue, not the consumer's. Besides, if AMD didn't want them shown/sold before the street date....why didn't they give a street date to Best Buy? It's not like this is AMD's first time releasing products.

I've never liked the 1st ammendment either. That sounds like Best Buy's issue, not the consumer's. Besides, if AMD didn't want them shown/sold before the street date....why didn't they give a street date to Best Buy? It's not like this is AMD's first time releasing products.

Except for those terms of service agreements people probably dont read that exclude first ammendment protection... yeah sure. Not the point of my post anyway.

Except for those terms of service agreements people probably dont read that exclude first ammendment protection... yeah sure. Not the point of my post anyway.

:shrug: well I appreciated your analysis either way.
It's neither here nor there since the reveal is in two days.

Back