• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I be able to install an SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerseusTechnica

Hello guys and other godly creatures from overclockers.com. I am wondering if I can install an SSD drive into my computer. To be more specific: is there enough room for one; and does it need ''a case'':confused: Secondly; can I ''transfer'' my current files 'safely' to my SSD (including Windows) or should I do a clean install? (if I install windows again in the new SSD, what will then happen with my current ''C drive'' and its files. I apologize in advance for my poor English skills. The pictures posted below are from yesterday (right before I removed the dust...)
Sincerely,

PerseusTechnica

11287310_480732405411027_1585595894_n.jpg 11329650_480732398744361_327121627_n.png 11427884_480732402077694_995355909_n.jpg

whatever you wind up doing, a can of duster, a free afternoon, and a vacuum cleaner should be in your future!

haha yes, you can get a 2.5 to 3.5 converter (just grab a cheap one off newegg), and it'll screw right in. I even see a free sata port there.

hehehe, I see what you did there :clap: My computer is as clean as a new born baby's *** (before needing a diaper change) I unfortunately don't have the luxury of newegg etc. Is this the thing that you were talking about? (danish sites incoming!) http://www.proshop.dk/Harddisk-tilb...-3.5in-SATA-Hard-Drive-Converter-2348911.html or can this do the job? http://www.proshop.dk/Harddisk-tilbehoer/Pro-HDD-Mounting-Frame-2.5-3.5-2192661.html

btw, which SSD's do you recommend? I've heard that Samsungs are quite good. If anyone else are reading this thread; I'd also like some answers to my other questions ^_^ It's getting late; so good nite peeps! Over and out for now,
- PerseusTechnica

Last edited:
I recently did what you are about to do, so here are your answers. You can transfer your Windows and files by cloning your hard drive to your SSD. This makes an almost exact copy of your hard drive, so that you don't have to reinstall anything. Some games might need reinstalling afterwards. This requires that you get the size of the files that you have on your hard drive below the size of your SSD. The easiest way to do this is to transfer any files that are non-essential, videos, pictures, documents, games you are not playing, etc., to another hard drive. The size of the essential files lets you know how big your SSD has to be. It is best to have at least 75 GB more space on the SSD than the amount of files you have left on the hard drive. My Samsung Evo came with the cloning software and everything went smoothly. I didn't even bolt the SSD to the drive cage, the SSD is so small and light that the cables that I attached it to held it "securely (relatively)" in place, I just slipped it in the small space between my hard drive and the top of the drive cage. I don't move my computer much. The hard drive has to be disconnected because it has a copy of Windows on it and so does the SSD. You can't have 2 drives with copies of Windows in the machine. Keep the hard drive the way it is (disconnected) until you are sure that your SSD is not giving you problems (a week or so), if you have problems then reconnect the hard drive and disconnect the SSD. You again have a working computer so you can do troubleshooting. Once you are confident with the SDD, format the hard drive and use as a data drive. Right after you install the SSD and it boots for the first time you want to re-run the "Windows Experience Index" which will set your computer correctly to use the SSD.

I recommend you dont clone your SSD. Potential for problems is pretty high, and due to the ease of installing windows nowadays, its pretty good to do from time to time. Think of all the junk you'd get rid of :)

You can't have 2 drives with copies of Windows in the machine. Keep the hard drive the way it is (disconnected) until you are sure that your SSD is not giving you problems (a week or so), if you have problems then reconnect the hard drive and disconnect the SSD. You again have a working computer so you can do troubleshooting. .

Thats not correct, sorry. You can run msconfig and select which drive you want to use for windows. You also have boot options in bios. If something wasn't working when you did it, something else was going on. Good idea to keep the SSD running for a week or so.

Back