• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would I be bottlenecked if I upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Looking into upgrading my 760 GTX when fallout 4 comes out and wondering if I would bottleneck with my current setup. Not sure what to upgrade yet to but my current system is:

760 GTX
8 gig ram
FX 6300 @ 3.8 w/ AMD Overdrive
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

yes you would, you need to have that 6300 to 4.5, I kind of think it might be bottlenecking you now.

and how's that wonderful tampa bay??, i went to usf.

yes you would, you need to have that 6300 to 4.5, I kind of think it might be bottlenecking you now.

and how's that wonderful tampa bay??, i went to usf.

really? you think so? I tried over 3.78 but it became unstable.

ugh..I just bought this pc too :(

and its good..rainy today.

I have 4 760's right now, you just have to love it when you can buy 2 cards for a little more than half the cost of a titan and make a titan owner hate to see you coming!!!!

if you will head over to cpu's/amd cpu's and start a thread "noob, overclocking fx6300" the amd guru's will help you every step of the way.
if your shy about that go read the " just putzen around" thread, it's all you will ever want to know and might take a few years to read.............

if you will head over to cpu's/amd cpu's and start a thread "noob, overclocking fx6300" the amd guru's will help you every step of the way.
if your shy about that go read the " just putzen around" thread, it's all you will ever want to know and might take a few years to read.............

I think its mostly just my CPU. I tried bio overlock..became unstable quick. And with overdrive..I can get it to 3.8..then test shows it fails after a hour or 2

Think just..not OC friendly one I got.

even if I got to 4.5 What you think best card I could do to match it above the 760?

the 970 is the go to card right now, bang for the buck.

and if you'll invest in cpu cooling I'm sure they can get you up to 4.5 with that 6300, I don't think we have seen one come through here yet that couldn't make 4.5

the 970 is the go to card right now, bang for the buck.

and if you'll invest in cpu cooling I'm sure they can get you up to 4.5 with that 6300, I don't think we have seen one come through here yet that couldn't make 4.5

dont think my current one is any good? not going watercool

well here is to hoping 760 will run fallout 4 reasonably..

I run a GTX 760. It won't be a maximum settings, but plenty playable on decently higher settings @ 1080P. It would be a good choice to buy into a nice 9 series GPU (or two) while trying to game at 4K.

I've been playing hawken for some time. This game has NV physx. I max everything including Physx and the GPU usually runs about 75% load.

A Cpu overclock wouldn't be a bad idea either as mentioned. You'll see a performance increase Going from 3.8ghz to even just 4.2ghz and keep reasonable temps.

Also noticed you use AMD OverDrive. You should try and set a manual OC in the bios IMO. OverDrive is good for benchmarking and hitting max clocks on extreme cooling and small tweaks on the fly, but really all you need is increased Cpu multiplier and a littel extra voltage.

I run a GTX 760. It won't be a maximum settings, but plenty playable on decently higher settings @ 1080P. It would be a good choice to buy into a nice 9 series GPU (or two) while trying to game at 4K.

I've been playing hawken for some time. This game has NV physx. I max everything including Physx and the GPU usually runs about 75% load.

A Cpu overclock wouldn't be a bad idea either as mentioned. You'll see a performance increase Going from 3.8ghz to even just 4.2ghz and keep reasonable temps.

Also noticed you use AMD OverDrive. You should try and set a manual OC in the bios IMO. OverDrive is good for benchmarking and hitting max clocks on extreme cooling and small tweaks on the fly, but really all you need is increased Cpu multiplier and a littel extra voltage.

I dont require max settings..but at least medium with 30+ fps consistant.

not sure what happend wtih my bios. one day my PC failed to start so I reset my cmos..and since then it treats my CPU as locked and doesn't let me change anything. Thats why i had to switch to overdrive.

you might try a bios reflash, get the latest anyway is always a good thing.
and as shrimps says, even 4.2 will help.
a good air cooler is all you need.

should be easy as pie, might need a better cooler than stock.

yae, hyper 212, update the bios them head to the amd cpu thread.

I dont require max settings..but at least medium with 30+ fps consistant.

not sure what happend wtih my bios. one day my PC failed to start so I reset my cmos..and since then it treats my CPU as locked and doesn't let me change anything. Thats why i had to switch to overdrive.

30 fps? On medium settings? Should be np with your PC as is. May not even need a cpu OC. At any rate, you should have better visuals than a console system considering your video card is a lot more beefy.

The bios probably just needs another reset. Try doing it for a longer period of time. Say at least 5 minutes, PSU unplugged, battery out and then the jumper. Wait it out, have some coffee or something, then put the jumper back, battery in, and plug in the PSU. Hopefully that does the trick.

30 fps? On medium settings? Should be np with your PC as is. May not even need a cpu OC. At any rate, you should have better visuals than a console system considering your video card is a lot more beefy.

The bios probably just needs another reset. Try doing it for a longer period of time. Say at least 5 minutes, PSU unplugged, battery out and then the jumper. Wait it out, have some coffee or something, then put the jumper back, battery in, and plug in the PSU. Hopefully that does the trick.

ill try it again this weekend. thanks.

and thanks for all others input as well. appreciate it.

Back