• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are There Any MSI GTX 970 Backplates that Strengthen the Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teetar

Registered
I've been looking for a backplate for my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G edition, and I've only really found some from ColdZero and V1 Tech, however those are both made out of plastic. I'd really like a backplate that not only adds a nice touch of visual appeal, but also increases the structural integrity of my card, since it is sagging slightly. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can get a metal, or at least more rigid backplate for my MSI GTX 970? Anyone that does customs that can accommodate this, or any companies/businesses?

Thanks!

not for that card given the custom cooler(pcb mounting point design), unless they come out with one. keep in mind the sagging that you see is pretty exaggerated because the corner you can see is the furthest away from the mounted points. One suggestion, is to allow the card to sag equally as you look at it from front to back. (adjust the bracket a little bit or use a zip tie instead, tons of ways to let the weight be distributed equally across the slot it rests in). This will lower the chance of warping to the virtually non existent possibility.

Otherwise, would be easy enough to find, cut, drill, spray (liquid Teflon works nice, good color variety too), then screw with as large of washers as the pcb allows for a support bar, just use your imagination). Finally, the whole venture is not exactly necessary, the sag you may be looking at may be the cooling unit, which given mounting tolerances, angle of manufacturing, is maybe 3mm? 4 inches away from the assemblies mount and point of contact? It looks worse than it or could be.

But if you're just thinking aesthetics, hell do red tiger print on the cross bar, that'd be sick!

Back