• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get any stable overclock on Strix GTX 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why? I'll set voltage manually then, what range is safe for my CPU and what should I set as a starting point? I know each PC is different in terms of overclocking but I also don't want to burn my good old 3570k :p

I was just identifying possible issues and places to look.
OK so if you're certain it the GPU lets start there. Have you eran it at stock gaming and had no issues? If so try overclocking it a bit at a time. Not all GPUs are created equal so they need to be overclocked that way. Don't forget as well that the Strix comes with a slight OC from factory.

To be clear, I doubt it's the problem....just a best practice when overclocking. Typically using auto tends to use more voltage than needed in favor of stability. ;)

That said, see what you voltage is currently under load in winows (I use cpuz), then set it manually in the bios and see if it hits. If it drops under load, use Load line Calibration to minimize that effect so it's exact.

OK, so I removed the side panel from my case and set +50 core / +100 memory clocks with +5 mV additional voltage. Let's see how it works...

And just so you guys know I really appreciate the help, thanks a lot for such quick replies!

So I've been playing Dishonored 2 for these 40 minutes, GPU load was constantly high (99-100%) and the temp was lower for some reason — only 55-56 degrees (with maximum at 59 degrees according to the graph, still less than before). Maybe removing the side panel actually did the trick. I experienced no crashes/freezes/artifacts etc.

And I did set power limit to 120%, yes.

I would use witcher again for a while maybe it's harder on the system since that's what you were using before and had the crashes/lockups. If all's good add a bit more speed to the GPU and test again if it crashes add a bit of voltage but only enough to stabilize it not all
If you manage to get it stable with your higher clocks and it crashes when you put the side back on you know you have an airflow issue

I've applied higher clocks and Witcher 3 crashed to desktop after ~20 minutes, but my PC didn't freeze. Does that mean I should add voltage?

Oh, you've mentioned that already. OK, I'll try adding 5 mV.

It seems like my current configuration is stable. I'll make sure to get some better cooling solution before going any further in my overclocking.

Thank you Johan45 and EarthDog, you've been very helpful.

You're welcome Puntero anytime
Looking at that case it should be very easy to put a few more fans in it. I'd start with one in the bottom or lower front for intake and one it the top for exhaust.

Back