• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.5 weak for an i7-2600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power saving has been off ever since I overclocked my cpu to 4.5 a yr ago.

Funny, this screen shot from the first page looks otherwise.... Your under clocked quite a fair bit.

Just trying to help. Pointing out what I see. You've given only one screen shot and that screen shot doesn't show load temps..... Or correct speed.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    99.6 KB · Views: 130
I have all the c1, etc. and speedstep enabled. If I was to run Prime 95 though this is what happens.

Attachments

• Prime 95 running.PNG
    Prime 95 running.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 128
Well, there is the bios and there is windows performance. You can have all that stuff disabled in the bios and windows performance will still throttle it back on idle. BOTH need to be changed to keep things steady.

Hmmmm didn't realize that windows would also throttle the CPU like that. Thought that was handled via bios and the chip itself if it got to hot.

Anyways for the CPU its all a hit and miss. Some did 4.2-4.4Ghz average the other lucky crowd got 4.5-4.6Ghz, and then the 4.7+ was luck or water cooling.
So having a CPU that does 4.5Ghz isn't horrible at all. Course we all want that magic chip so I know that feeling.

If you think heat is an issue try disabling HT if you think that might be causing an issue. It will give you a little extra overhead, not much though. Might be a performance hit depending on the applications or games you even play.

Hmmmm didn't realize that windows would also throttle the CPU like that. Thought that was handled via bios and the chip itself if it got to hot.
Throttling may be a bad term for it because it's not doing it to keep the Cpu out of it's "max temp" zone, it's more for power saving when not under load.

Throttling may be a bad term for it because it's not doing it to keep the Cpu out of it's "max temp" zone, it's more for power saving when not under load.

Yup yup... yeah bad reference for that.
Well bios its Speed Step. I know that's what I use on mine and works great IMO. Doesn't affect my OC and gives lower power needs when not in full utilization.

Yup yup... yeah bad reference for that.
Well bios its Speed Step. I know that's what I use on mine and works great IMO. Doesn't affect my OC and gives lower power needs when not in full utilization.
If you have speed step enabled and windows set to performance the Cpu multiplier will not drop down though, IIRC. By default I believe windows is set to balanced which allows the multiplier to drop.

Back