• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from 280X CFX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knufire

Hey everyone,

Right now I'm running two 7970/280Xs in CFX at 1060/1500. Performance has been great, but since I started playing The Witcher 3, my temps have been crazy. Top card sitting at 90C isn't uncommon depending on what part of the map I'm in.

I was just wondering exactly how much a single card upgrade would be. Depending on the price I might be able to justify a small performance upgrade with a big increase in effiency, but I have a feeling a single card at this performance level is going to be $$$$$$. Thoughts?

Hey Knufire, glad to see you back!

I imagine you will be looking at a 980 minimum (or one of the upcoming AMD Fury cards) to see the same maybe better performance that you get out of the 2x7970s. Of course that also gives you a substantially smaller power and heat footprint as well.

This is the closest comparison I could make:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1074?vs=1351

7990 (essentially dual 280x/7970) vs a 980.

Back