• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help knockin´ a case on its side.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check out Silverstone, they have a lot of horizontal cases for HTPC duty that you could likely repurpose.

So this is the one that I like:Grandia Series GD02MT. Even if I could fit radiator on it has a hefty price tag of 376 €: Shop

I really do not care for a front touchscreen. It is a shame that they don´t have something with the same distribution but cheaper. Thanks for the idea anyhow!

Here's my latest rendering. Mind you I've been focusing more on getting the components to be the correct dimensions. Also, the more I work on it the more it's looking like a mATX case on it's side.

The requirements I'm placing on myself are:

1. mATX MoBo
2. Full Size GPU (at least 1)
3. Water cooling provisions for both CPU & GPU
4. Slim Slot ODD

I'm realizing the difficulty of this task the deeper I fall down the rabbit hole. Maybe this is why no one else has come out with one.

HTGPC1.JPG

Wow. And here I am using paint :rain:.

It would be cool if you could stretch it along the Y axis to fit an 80 mm thick radiator in push-pull where your 360 is. Then move the PSU over to the right side where the 240 is (ditch the 240 or put a 120 a bit further down in the positive Y axis). And finally, Make a window on top that continues and bends around the GPU side. Maybe you can put a small pump an reservoir combo on the front right. It does seem like a headache. Lests not start with the hard drives. That already looks packed. Maybe you can put a slim CD drive somewhere. Some can be installed vertically. Overall that looks like and excellet start. I would buy it if machined properly.

HTGPC1.JPG

Wow. And here I am using paint :rain:. Catia is an awesome program for sure, but the only reason I'm using it is because that's what I use at work all day. Any CAD program would be just as nice for this project.

It would be cool if you could stretch it along the Y axis to fit an 80 mm thick radiator in push-pull where your 360 is. I don't want Push/Pull as this will be a silent build and also why all fans are internal to help with noise reduction. I could make it a bit deeper for a thicker rad. I think it's 16" deep right now and I'm trying to minimize size so it will fit on a standard Audio shelf. Maybe I could get another 1.5" out of it.

Then move the PSU over to the right side where the 240 is (ditch the 240 or put a 120 a bit further down in the positive Y axis). I would totally agree with this for your build, for mine however I want maximum air flow over the Ram, VRM's & CPU Socket which is why the rad is there. I originally had the 360 there and the 240 near the PSU but with the PSU cables running directly infront of the 240 I figured it would restrict airflow to much. I need a minimum of 2x 240's for the amount of heat I'll be producing so reducing rad's wont happen for this build. In fact If I go SLI with this build I'll need even more cooling. Maybe I'll provide room for a 120 on the PSU side.

And finally, Make a window on top that continues and bends around the GPU side. Maybe you can put a small pump an reservoir combo on the front right. It does seem like a headache. I do plan on putting a window on top but not the sides for this one. I have seen where the windows wrap around like that and it's a really cool look. Parvum I think does this. Also I do plan on mounting my MCP 35X and res combo on the PSU side.

Lests not start with the hard drives. That already looks packed. Maybe you can put a slim CD drive somewhere. Some can be installed vertically. Overall that looks like and excellet start. I would buy it if machined properly. Yep there's room for a horizontal slim slot drive above the front rad on the right side and this wont interfere with large GPU's.

Back