• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New monitor, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

So I previously was exploring purchasing a new monitor in THIS post. However, I have considered possibly purchasing a monitor of the 1080 variant, as a relief till 2k-4k variants are more feasible. As I mentioned in my previous post, I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 1280x1024 @ 75Hz monitor. It has served me well for the past few years but definitely starting to show its age. 712N Link

So I'm considering purchasing a $100-$175 1080 monitor that will later become a backup/secondary. I would of course prefer to spend as little as possible on something that is already slated to become "obsolete" so to speak. Besides finally ousting VGA for either HDMI/DL-DVI/DP and overall better monitor quality & size in general I see myself with my current GPU taking a small hit to overall performance in games. Would it be an imprudent decision on my part while waiting 1-3 years for 2-4k to actually settle? If this decision is justifiable what suggested monitor within my price range would work best for this?

If it's justifiable is up to you.

But that said, for a backup monitor, I wouldn't worry too much about it's quality, just price.

You should be able to catch a sale on the Dell S2415H and have it in your price range.

You should be able to catch a sale on the Dell S2415H and have it in your price range.

Honestly I have tended to stay away from Dell products for the past 10-15 years? lol so im extremely skeptical of their product, however with that said I was looking around and saw newegg has a refurb model of This ASUS

Honestly I have tended to stay away from Dell products for the past 10-15 years? lol so im extremely skeptical of their product, however with that said I was looking around and saw newegg has a refurb model of This ASUS

Dell has some of the best quality on the market.
Buying refurb ASUS is a mistake, IMO.

Dell has some of the best quality on the market.
Buying refurb ASUS is a mistake, IMO.

Hmm, well the only brand that I know that's good personally is Samsung but of course a price premium is always attached. Any others to suggest on the lower end of the 100-200 spectrum that might be worth while ATM?

Hmm, well the only brand that I know that's good personally is Samsung but of course a price premium is always attached. Any others to suggest on the lower end of the 100-200 spectrum that might be worth while ATM?

LG makes good budget monitors, BenQ is pretty good too, but I personally stick to Dell because of panel quality.
That S-Series is Dell's mid-range monitor, they bring great panels without a lot of fluff in this series to keep cost down.

LG makes good budget monitors, BenQ is pretty good too, but I personally stick to Dell because of panel quality.
That S-Series is Dell's mid-range monitor, they bring great panels without a lot of fluff in this series to keep cost down.

Well BenQ monitors seem pricy, which is probably due to higher quality of course. I have had a bit more time looking around and for the size the G246HLAbd seems to be a great deal. I would of course prefer and IPS display but I think I will hold off on that till at least next year when I start looking into 1440p to 4k. Additionally I did just come across G246HYL for only a few $ more.

Any thoughts on either?

Seem like pretty typical Acer budget monitors.
Cheap, and it shows.

are you referring to both? as one is a Tn the other is a IPS panel. Also, I just came across this amazing deal by the looks of it! I am off to research this.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm referring to both.
Just because one is TN and one is IPS has nothing to do with actual display quality.

That LG would be a much better monitor.

Well If i can get it for the $160 special price im going for it then! Thanks for the tips, and if not back to the drawing board :/ lol

Back