• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound card for Sennheiser G4ME ZERO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zheads

Motherboard - ASUS z97 Maximus VII Hero with onboard sound FXSupreme 2014, I've bought Sennheiser G4ME ZERO, using main - games, sometimes - films, maybe - music, budget - not more than $150, so questions are:
1. Do I need upgrade my onboard sound?
2. What sound card is best in quality/$
Thank you!

P.S. Subjective I prefer ASUS products over Creative )

Save up a little more for an Asus STX. The cheaper ones aren't that much of an upgrade over decent onboard.

The go-to cards on the current market are the Creative Z series, but there are some options from ASUS's last offering:
- ASUS Xonar STX
- ASUS Xonar Phoebus

There are other internal solutions, but these 3(including the Creative Z series) are what to look for at this point in time. Keeping in mind, the Creative Z and Zx are nearly the same card with the Zx simply having better caps, and of course the ZxR offering a superior dac and amp. The STX was held as the absolute go-to for audiophile internal cards if you did not care for the TitaniumHD's lack of power, and the STX is simply a great card. The Phoebus is almost the same as the STX, but as an offering more aimed at the gaming crowd and more neutral tonality while the sound is just a nuance worse than the STX.

As NiHaoMike mentioned, getting a lower end soundcard is becoming pointless with the advances in onboard solutions. So an upgrade from your onboard, I would highly recommend any of the 5 total cards mentioned in the paragraph above^.

You can get an external DAC/amp unit. The CS4344 chips in some cheap but good DACs (around $20 or so) are quite good, though it does take a bit of "magic touch" to bring out the best of it.

Guys, thanks for your helpfull answers (especially sobe).
Does your onboard have optical?
Yep, according to specs of ASUS Maximus VII Hero it does have S/PDIF optical.

I have network player Cambridge Audio STREAM MAGIC6 V2, can I use it somehow between computer and phones? ) I dont use it like network streamer anyway.

Guys, thanks for your helpfull answers (especially sobe).

Yep, according to specs of ASUS Maximus VII Hero it does have S/PDIF optical.

I have network player Cambridge Audio STREAM MAGIC6 V2, can I use it somehow between computer and phones? ) I dont use it like network streamer anyway.

Get a DAC to go from optical to your headphones, that'll be cheaper and give you better sound quality.

I use the Audioengine D1 and have been very happy with it.

Back