• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member here from Central PA. Rig specs and (Large) pictures posted within.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BgrizzlyR

Hello everyone,

I am from Central Pennsylvania and finally decided to post for the first time. I built my rig back in November 2016 during a black Friday sale and slowly added a few parts here and there.

I use this Rig for gaming, and productivity purposes (photography, Videography, and digital design). Audio is a big deal for me so I put some emphasis on the audio quality with the Asus Xonar Essence STX II and a pair of Sennheiser HD600's for a nice, smooth listening experience for my music. I later on had to come up with a wireless solution due to moving and picked up an Asus AC3100 PCIe Adapter (PCE-AC88) Wireless Card. For the most part I do prefer to stay hard wired. I admit that this will be the first rig I had built that had overclocking somewhat in mind. That being said, I have never overclocked before so I am open for suggestions as to where I should start. I would prefer stability and not push it too hard.

I want to eventually do a space theme with a custom water loop. My girlfriend and I are both art majors and have a few ideas in mind. When it all goes down I will have a build thread showing the progression of the theme. I'll even try to do some video work to make it more engaging.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I'll answer them as best as I can. Thanks for looking!

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Edition
Monitor - ASUS Designo MX25AQ 25" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS Display
Motherboard - ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151
Processor - Intel Core I7-6700k
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i v2
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16) DDR4 2133
Graphics Card - EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 FTW2 Gaming ICX
Hard drive - Samsung 850evo SSD (1TB)
Sound Card - Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 850 P2
Wireless Card - ASUS AC3100 PCIe Adapter (PCE-AC88) Wireless Card
Keyboard - Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Mouse - Logitech G900
Headphones - Sennheiser HD600
Webcam - Logitech C922x Pro Stream
Game Controller - Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller
Microphone - Blue Yeti Black Edition
Mouse Pad - Logitech G240 Mouse Pad

P.S. The upside down SSD does drive me insane and I have a few solutions to this, but I will change it when apply my 'space' theme.

_MG_9606 WEB.jpg
_MG_9613 WEB.jpg

Last edited:
It is a very neat build! And :welcome:

Edit: but not much specs (CPU, mobo, ram, etc...) ;)

Oh I'm sorry! I forgot to paste that in. I edited my original post. I'll also paste the specs in in this reply.

Thanks!

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Edition
Monitor - ASUS Designo MX25AQ 25" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS Display
Motherboard - ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151
Processor - Intel Core I7-6700k
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i v2
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16) DDR4 2133
Graphics Card - EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 FTW2 Gaming ICX
Hard drive - Samsung 850evo SSD (1TB)
Sound Card - Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 850 P2
Wireless Card - ASUS AC3100 PCIe Adapter (PCE-AC88) Wireless Card
Keyboard - Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Mouse - Logitech G900
Headphones - Sennheiser HD600
Webcam - Logitech C922x Pro Stream
Game Controller - Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller
Microphone - Blue Yeti Black Edition
Mouse Pad - Logitech G240 Mouse Pad

Thanks!

Well, if you use software like Adobe CC, D design, you will benefit from higher speed memory.

I am sure you can take those to 3000/3200 MHz, by increasing the voltage and loosening the latency timings. Not my best skill, but I am sure someone will jump in and give you some advice!

Again, it's a real neat PC.

You can throw the specs in your signature for reference(top right, settings, and then on the left column, Edit signature).

Thanks!

Well, if you use software like Adobe CC, D design, you will benefit from higher speed memory.

I am sure you can take those to 3000/3200 MHz, by increasing the voltage and loosening the latency timings. Not my best skill, but I am sure someone will jump in and give you some advice!

Again, it's a real neat PC.

You can throw the specs in your signature for reference(top right, settings, and then on the left column, Edit signature).

Great suggestions! I added what I could to my signature.

Thanks again!

Welcome to OCF! Nice rig. :welcome:

What software do you primarily load for your design efforts? As Tir na nOg said, faster RAM when you decide to upgrade. I ask about the software as some of the better products are bulky and even on an SSD take more time to load than simple web browsing would. Today's NVMe drives are 3x-6x faster than SSDs and may be another good down-the-road option.

Welcome to OCF! Nice rig. :welcome:

What software do you primarily load for your design efforts? As Tir na nOg said, faster RAM when you decide to upgrade. I ask about the software as some of the better products are bulky and even on an SSD take more time to load than simple web browsing would. Today's NVMe drives are 3x-6x faster than SSDs and may be another good down-the-road option.

I use the Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, etc...).

I have what I believe to be a SATA M.2 SSD I had pulled from my HP laptop. The drive still works, but would it be any faster than my Samsung 850 EVO SSD? (I have my doubts). Either way, I'm thinking that I will use it as a storage drive to fill up that M.2 slot on my board for now, because as a content creator and digital artist, the extra storage space is always nice to have.

I will definitely consider the NVMe drive and RAM when my productivity needs to pick up. Time is money right? shaving a few seconds off every time you need to open some of these programs adds up over time. ;)

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Photo Oct 08, 1 23 05 AM.jpg

Photo Oct 08, 1 23 24 AM.jpg

Nope, not faster: it is M2, but not NVMe, so, same speed as regular Sata 3 SSD's.

Regarding your RAM, what are the voltage and specific timings ? Sure you can squeeze a few hundreds MHz out of those already, without sacrificing stability.

Edit: have a look at this thread.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ix-Sport-LT-2x16GB-DDR4-2400-BLS2K16G4D240FSE
That can be a good starting point. And do not hesitate to PM Woomack for specifics! He is our memory guru.
You can go up to 1.5v without to being worried with DDR4: those kits just don't overheat! I run [email protected] for 18 months 24/7 without any kind of issue (went as far as 1.7v for benchmarking).

Last edited:
Nope, not faster: it is M2, but not NVMe, so, same speed as regular Sata 3 SSD's.

Regarding your RAM, what are the voltage and specific timings ? Sure you can squeeze a few hundreds MHz out of those already, without sacrificing stability.

Edit: have a look at this thread.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ix-Sport-LT-2x16GB-DDR4-2400-BLS2K16G4D240FSE
That can be a good starting point. And do not hesitate to PM Woomack for specifics! He is our memory guru.
You can go up to 1.5v without to being worried with DDR4: those kits just don't overheat! I run [email protected] for 18 months 24/7 without any kind of issue (went as far as 1.7v for benchmarking).

DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
Timing: 15-15-15-36
Cas Latency: 15
Voltage: 1.2v

Thanks again. I’ll see if I can get a hold of Woomack.

Pro

I have 2133MHz Ripjaws X in Unit 2 and run them at 2400MHz with a slight voltage bump, 24/7. I've gotten them easily a bit past that, but stability starts to deteriorate after about 2450 or so.

Back