• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock questions about an AMD fx-8230

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion18

Hi everyone,
This is my first gaming pc build from scratch. (My current computer is made out of about 5 of my computers.) here is the link to my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mhyV8d. My question is can i overclock the AMD fx-8230 with the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ MOBO? I was hoping to OC it to about 3.8 or 4ghz? My other question is how far can I OC the AMD (If i can with that MOBO) with stock cooling? How about with a good air cooler or a cheap water cooler? And finally, will I be able to get around 50-60fps on medium settings on games like battlefield4 and GTAV with the EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW card?
Thanks

Hi there!!

Not exactly the greatest board for overclocking. So it's good to see your looking for a mild overclock and seem to know what to expect when people may bash your board for anything beyond 4ghz really.

Your stock cooler should firstly be replaced with something capable of dissipating extra heat.

A cheap water cooler like the H100i (or similar) would get you right to that 4ghz spot, maybe even some more, this all depending on voltage needed at X clock speed.

Not sure about 60 fps with that 750ti. It's a good card, but pretty low end. Upgrading this to say a GTX 960 would net you a better frame rate, overclocking the Cpu won't get you there.

Hi there!!

Not exactly the greatest board for overclocking. So it's good to see your looking for a mild overclock and seem to know what to expect when people may bash your board for anything beyond 4ghz really.

Your stock cooler should firstly be replaced with something capable of dissipating extra heat.

A cheap water cooler like the H100i (or similar) would get you right to that 4ghz spot, maybe even some more, this all depending on voltage needed at X clock speed.

Not sure about 60 fps with that 750ti. It's a good card, but pretty low end. Upgrading this to say a GTX 960 would net you a better frame rate, overclocking the Cpu won't get you there.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think EVGA is an ok brand for the GTX 960? what about MSI? also, should I spend the extra $35 to get the 4gb model of the EVGA GTX 960 instead of the 2 gb? thanks again.

Ya you want the extra Vram for sure. I like EVGA over MSI. But I've had good MSI cards as well. That's a toss up.

EVGA has better customer support, and the ACX2 cooler is one of the best. Definitely go with the 4GB model, never hurts to have more VRAM.

Considerable discussion on 960 value vs other directions....

...The GTX 960's small memory bit bus (128 bit) is not useful with 4GB VRAM whilst the R9 290 comes with a 512 bit memory bus which is great with 4GB VRAM.

The thread below is a fairly long thread and if you can stick with the reading and all the charts and get on over to at least the second page, you might get a glimpse at why considering a cost to benefit ratio says no to any 960 card. I had a good deal on a used 4G 770 video card and yet I just have not been able to do the deal. I think something might be better even if some more money. This video card thing is a tough nut to crack if one does not really dig and spend whatever amount in just the right place.

Upgrade 2gb GTX 760 to 4gb GTX 960?

RGone...

I game a gtx 770, 4 gig, 280x, 3gig and a gtx 970, guess what, with the 770 or 280x I can't tell which one is in the rig at 1080p, at 1440p I can tell you the 970 is better, if you are at 1080, get a used 280x or 770 for $150 or less if over 1080p, the 970 is the least card that will do, the 960 at 1080p, 2 gig should be fine.

Back