• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Base Clock and Multiplier fluctuating during gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0Spoonman0o

Hello,

I'm pretty new to overclocking, I read various guides and slowly stepped my I5 4690K up to 4.5 GHZ. Processor pulls 1.32v at max load and tested stable in occt for in excess of 4 hours on multiple occasions; Using a CM Hyper evo 212 for cooling the cpu maxes out around mid 70's during OCCT stress tests and sits around mid 60's during gaming.

The system is still stable, not getting any blue screens or anything, but I've noticed during gaming Gigabyte's SIV - Hardware Monitor will show my BCLK and Multiplier varying - pretty wildly. The CPU clock is always somewhere in the 4500 range so if BCLK goes down multiplier is changing to compensate and vice-versa. I've never seen this jump happen in CPU-Z so I'm wondering if the output is erroneous, if this is normal or if I've something to look into.

I've seen the fluctuation a couple times during Heaven benchmarking as well, but it's much easier to reproduce in something like GTA V.

Below is my Bios setup as well as a screen cap of the BCLK/Multiplier varying in HW monitor.

ss4.jpg ss3.jpg ss0.jpg ss1.jpg ss2.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to here as what you describe is not evident to me in the pics you supply.

The stock base clock is 100 mhz. The stock base clock ratio is 1.0x. It is normal to see the base clock fluctuate a little. It will often not be exactly 100 mhz but drop below that to say 99.x or something. The system metronome/oscillator will experience some variance. It's not totally precise. How much fluctuation are you seeing?

This is the one showing an example of the wacky BCLK / multiplier.

Note - ram is completely out of wack as well there. Ram is running @ 1600
ss0.jpg

Here's a "normal" HW mon (system idling)
normalHWmon.jpg

How are you overclocking, through windows?? The bios shows everything at auto?
EDIT: I see the 45x now...

What board do you have? Can you post screenshots of CPUz? The first tab, motherboard, memory and CPU please?

Last edited:
It does when you are actually looking at the 3rd image...:D

Or the first image in post #4 (which is the same as the 3rd image in the first post).

More screenshots: worth noting - I've yet to see this BaseClock / Multiplier change in the CPUZ window. Only in the Gigabyte SIV-HW monitor.
cpuz-proc.png motherboard.png Memory.png
Edit: Below, for clarity is the "third image" that shows the wacky BCLK - I can reproduce this at will in that particular piece of software (Gigabyte SystemInformationViewer-HwMonitor) by playing pretty much any demanding game...doesn't happen nearly as much in things like Heaven benchmarking or Occt stress tests.
ss0.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, I thought cpuz was doing it too..

It's likely just in the software. Make sure you bios is updated on the board, inf driver and me driver and see if it still happens. Otherwise I would ignore it.

Back