• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Apple doesn't really allow you to edit their stuff, so soon neither will Microsoft. :shrug:

True enough and what you say about using Linux is true enough as well. But of the major three players 2 of them are now getting away with "Take it and like it" attitudes. Its not the end of the world but definitely worth asking around about or having an opinion on. In the meantime I will leanr Linux and keep my fingers crossed :)

No GPedit....

I was hmming and hawwing about Win10 and weather I should purchase it but it's a done deal now. I need gpedit.

No GPedit....

I was hmming and hawwing about Win10 and weather I should purchase it but it's a done deal now. I need gpedit.

Let me not spread disinformation. Here is the post that contains the link to the horses mouth explanation of Gpedit. While I myself am afraid of it, I have needed to tweak it a time or two and thought I mgiht use it more in the future as I became more comfortable with it. It appears as though I may not get the chance

Oh. So GPedit is still there, just some policies don't apply to Win10 Pro.
That's a lot different than removing the whole Group Policy editor.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I am now this very moment trying to figure out how to create today's Windows 10 ISO because tomorrow is the day of the new build's general release.
So could someone confirm that if we have today's ISO and we
a. install it first.
b. update FROM it to any later version of Windows 10 from it.

Then we will still have the option of using modded drivers.

WAIT WHAT'S GOING ON WITH GPEDIT?!?

Can we still do this:

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication settings > Double click on Turn off the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program > Enabled > OK
Double click on Turn off Windows Error Reporting > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles > Double click on Turn off the advertising ID > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Application Compatibility > Double click on Turn off Application Telemetry > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview builds > Double click on Allow Telemetry > Enabled > (below Enabled) click under Options > 0 - Off [Enterprise only]
Double click on Disable pre-release features or settings > Disabled > OK.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Double click on Configure Windows SmartScreen > Enabled > (below Enabled) click under Pick one of the following settings > Turn off SmartSCreen
Computer Configuration
> Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings > Double-click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage > Enabled > OK

* Disable Windows Defender if using third party Firewall & AntiVirus:
Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender
Turn off Windows Defender > Enabled

For Windows Home users, this registry key disabled Windows Defender:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
Make a new DWORD and call it
DisableAntiSpyware
Set its value to 1

* [Get rid of "Windows can't verify the publisher of this software" warning when installing drivers:]
Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Double click on Code signing for device drivers > Enabled > (below Enabled) click on the down arrow next to 'Warn' and select Ignore > OK

* [Get rid of Popup Balloons from the task bar:]
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Double click on Turn off all balloon notifications > Enabled > OK >
For non-Pro version of Windows 10, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Right click on Advanced and create a new 32-bit DWORD named EnableBalloonTips Double click on it and give it value of 0

* [Get rid of Open File - Security Warning]:
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager >
In the right pane, double click on 'Inclusion list for moderate risk file types' > Enabled > Under 'Options: > *.* > OK
Do the same for 'Inclusion list for low file types'

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Double click on Turn off the Security Settings Check feature > Enabled > OK
* [Get rid of Open File - Security Warning for downloaded files]:
Scroll up and set "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" to Enabled
Then also
Start > Settings > Network & Internet > VPN > Internet options > Security TAB > Custom Level > scroll down under Miscellaneous > Launching Applications and Unsafe Files > Enable (not secure) > OK > Yes > OK
Open File - Security Warning may still appear for files downloaded earlier. Those files need to be stripped of alternate data streams using streams.exe program http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx
from DOS: streams.exe -d -s <directory path>

Well here's my take on the modded divers.

It clearly says "PCs upgraded to Windows 10 Build 1607 from a previous version of Windows (for instance Windows 10 version 1511) are not affected by the change."

Since Build 1607 is out tomorrow, that means we still have time today to go to:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Download and Run the media creation tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC.

UNCHECK default to be able to select to download a single ISO which includes bot 32-Bit and 64-Bit Windows 10.

Then instead of creating a USB, download the ISO file.

Question:
Is there a way to look inside the ISO file and see build version?

OCF's mobile skin sucks bowling balls. I've lost several posts in the last 15 minutes. Grrrrr!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going to use winten pro and not get worked up about it. Not letting anything slide, but just giving it time to resolve somewhat.

c6, I asked earlier in this thread and a great link was provided. Mobile skin is crippling me so you're going to look back several days and find that post.

Just as well because that great link went dark after the 29th :(

I ended up with Windows 10 Version 1511 x64

BTW I installed that OCF mobile and it still sucks, just not as bad as the site default mobile skin. I couldn't delete my dupe post until I got on my desktop. :mad:

Last edited:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
Download Tool Now.

Double click on downloaded MediaCreationTool.exe
Accept.

!!STOP!!

SELECT: Create installation media for another PC
Next

Now you can UNCHECK the recommended options to be able to choose 32-bit or 64-Bit or both.
If you choose both, it will be a 6.14GB file so it will not fit on a single layer DVD.

Next.

Select ISO file, unless you want to create a USB file right there.

okay, here's the deal. There are three builds worth talking about so far.

• Windows 10 - Build 10.0.10240 (Retroactively named version 1507) - First official retail release.
• Windows 10 - November Update (Version 1511)
and
• Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (Version 1607)

Build we installed on July 29, 2016 was version 1511.
Tomorrow Microsoft switches to version 1607.

Someone *please* correct me if I am wrong but if you in the future install 1511 then update to any build - you avoid modded driver restrictions. But if you install tomorrow's 1607 or later and update to any build after that, you will get those restrictions.

This applies to driver restrictions only, GPEDIT restrictions will stand as soon as you even visit the Windows Update page starting tomorrow.
Stay tuned about how to bypass those without using GPEDIT, hopefully someone is working on that as we speak.

This is looking less and less like I'll actually "like" this OS, with them looking for any way possible to limit customizability and lock down the OS and prevent users from making it their own. That was the whole point in why I went with the Pro version years ago, it did things that the Home (Home, Home Basic, Home Premium, etc) user version didn't, and provided me more control over how the OS worked on my PC (plus offered me more ways to fix my OS if it broke).

I've never really needed to use the Group Policy editor much, but knowing it will be less effective and/or more restrictive than previous OS versions in the same edition bothers me somehow. Isn't that the whole point of buying the Professional/Pro version of their OS, to have more control over how the OS worked on one's own PC's. Heck, I know there are organizations that use Pro versions of Windows because they can't afford the Enterprise version and/or don't have enough PC's to justify a VLK. Bet they won't be too happy.

Definitely won't be switching to 10 for my main benching OS anytime soon, as we in the benching crowd occasionally need modded drivers to compete in benchmarks.

First of all to put things in perspective, these restrictions only affect people who mod Windows.
If you are one of those people then the answer is simple:

Here's my understanding:
• Fresh install of tomorrow's 1607 as a blank install or on top of Win 7/8 = Driver and GPEDIT restrictions.
but
• If you update to 1607 or later from Windows 10 1511 or earlier installed Windows 10 = No Driver restrictions.

Since Windows 10 does not allow individual updates, GPEDIT restrictions *will* kick in as soon as you update 1511 to a later build. But GPEDIT restrictions are not on today's 1511 Build.

Therefore, good idea to have today's 1511 ISO in your archive.

Yes I agree.
But if you have an actual .iso file, you can store it to make future USBs, whereas if you create a single USB installation and something happens to that one USB...

Don't let MS build your USB. Build your own from your .iso archives using Rufus. Worked great for me. Rufus can make any USB bootable.

All my builds are 1511. 3 are win7 updates and 5 are clean installs to VMs.

Last edited:
You mean 1511, not 1151 and yes general public can't get 1607 before tomorrow.
Everything changes tomorrow.
I wonder if the official media creation tool will switch to 1607 tomorrow, but selective build update rollout will start tomorrow.

Back