• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What I'm trying to ask is windows 10 more automated on cleaning the registry when you uninstall a program?

It's the same.
Additional removal can be done using something like this
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Do not use anything that calls itself a registry cleaning program though. No such thing exists that does more good than harm.

Do not use anything that calls itself a registry cleaning program though. No such thing exists that does more good than harm.

Have been using CCleaner and Puran Registry Cleaner for years and they do a very good job ?

Well, my first attempt at installing this on a desktop didn't go well.

Started trying to download it at 9:30PM on July 28th, 2016, download stalled at 99% and wouldn't go any further. It finally failed with an error message at 8:24AM on July 29th, 2016. Started trying to download it again later that day, which did finally work. Had to download Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant program to finally finish the download, as Windows Update failed every time I tried on that PC (no idea why).

Using the OS didn't go well either. Upon attempting to run CPUID HWMonitor, the system it was on gave a BSOD. That was solved by updating the program to a newer version.

Firefox and Thunderbird both failed to function properly, and both had to be reinstalled (with the same version that was already on the PC) to get them working. Had to reinstall Firefox on every system I upgraded to 10, for some reason when it's installed in the Windows 7 OS it fails to function properly in 10.

Can't say I like the interface very well. Seems badly organized, when there are things I can find within seconds in 7 took me a half hour to find in 10. MS Paint took several minutes to find, and searching for "Computer Management" took me over 30 minutes to find, so that I could get into the Disk Management section to resize a volume on one of my drives. I installed Classic Shell and it got mildly better, at least for the Start Menu. Installed this on my main PC to try it out for a week or two. I may end up rolling back to 7 on my main PC. I've had 10 on my PC a whole day now, and felt much less inclined to use my PC than I normally do, mainly due to the frustration. Also, I genuinely miss the Aero theme, and desktop Gadgets.

Seems like they're again trying to take a tablet or phone OS and shoehorn it onto a desktop or laptop PC. (square peg in a round hole syndrome)

Things I like:
-I show higher transfer rates on my SSD in Win 10 than I normally do in Win 7. Win 10 (single test run): (Random Read (IOPS): 91,679, Random Write (IOPS): 83,035, Sequential Read (MB/s): 548MB/s, Sequential Write (MB/s): 471MB/s), Win 7 (best scores): (Random Read (IOPS): 78,211, Random Write (IOPS): 76,064, Sequential Write (MB/s): 524MB/s, Sequential Read (MB/s): 375)
-System seems to go into sleep mode more quickly with Windows 10 than Windows 7. Boot times seem about the same though.
-Finally fixed an issue I was having in Windows Media Player where it couldn't find my audio or video files, even after I'd manually added the file paths. After upgrading to 10 and firing up WMP it mysteriously found all of the files it couldn't see under 7, even though it was using the same file paths I had entered in when in Windows 7 (no idea why there would be a difference...). Go figure?
-Being able to see and access the taskbar on all screens, which is kind of nice if you have more than one.
-Increased information available in Task Manager, compared to Windows 7.

Things I don't like:
-Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox didn't function properly after the upgrade, had to be reinstalled on every machine I had them installed on.
-Can't seem to add programs to the Windows Startup folder to get them to run on startup like I've always done on Win 7. The program Real Temp in particular absolutely refuses to run on start-up, no idea why. Even replaced the program files with new ones, and a new shortcut on the desktop to the executable file for the program, plus a new link in the Startup folder. Still fails to work.
-Overall UI seems unintuitive. Seems more like it was designed for customers that have never used a PC than for those that are familiar Windows users from previous Operating Systems. Doesn't seem like a business-centered OS, or an OS for "Power Users". Definitely doesn't seem like an OS one would want to use on a PC in an office environment to get work done. More of an OS to play on, or for people who are just learning how to use a computer perhaps. A lot of flash, but maybe a little light on the functionality side of things. I don't think I'd install this on a PC for an aunt, uncle, grandmother, or grandfather (or anyone in or near the senior citizen crowd). My older relatives are confused and frustrated enough by Windows 7 and 8/8.1, I don't need to add further confusion.
-Can't choose what updates get installed, or when (in many cases). It is sometimes necessary to uninstall or block updates from installing (due to incompatibilities with hardware or software or instabilities in the updates themselves), so I find this rather annoying. I like to control what gets installed on my PC, not be forced in to installing updates I can't even see coming. Maybe it's the computer technician side of me, or the side of me that looks for security risks, but this just seems like a bad idea.
-Can't seem to set all of my screens to the same wallpaper, while using the slideshow feature of the wallpapers (I have multiple wallpapers that I normally set to change every X number of minutes). So, each screen has a different wallpaper. This might be useful if I had multiple views of one scene I wanted to display across my monitors, but I don't, so it isn't really useful so much as it is annoying.
-Can't get Task Manager to snap to a specific screen on startup or shutdown of the program. I've moved it to my secondary screen multiple times, but every time I have to reopen it the thing pops up on my primary screen. At least Windows 7 remembered which screen I had that program running on last.
-WAY too many security risks. Connecting to the same wifi as users on my contact list? Why would it assume that because someone on my contact list is connected to a wifi, that then that wifi is automatically safe and secure enough for my computer to connect to it as well? Automatically connect to nearby wifi hotspots? Uh, no thanks, I think I'll choose which wifi connections to connect to. Use my computer to send and receive updates to and from other computers? Uh, no thanks, that sounds like a security risk and I don't want my computer running as a bot to download updates for other PC's.
-In Windows 10 my PC seems to use a lot more memory, for reasons unknown. At idle sitting at the desktop in Windows 7 I typically used 9-15% of my system memory. At idle sitting at the desktop in Windows 10 I am using 25-28% of my memory, for reasons unknown, as a quick stroll through Task Manager doesn't reveal any programs or processes that are using an unusually high amount of memory. Some kind of memory leak maybe???

Last edited:
Wow....thanks for sharing! Can't say I had that much trouble.

For computer management, just right click on Explorer or this pc and then manage. That shortcut hasn't changed.

The updates thing was well known... and there is a workaround I believe.

Doesn't task manager always pop up on the main screen? It's been a while so I don't recall.

W10 is much more secure than 7, actually. If you don't want to click no.

No memory leaks in 10. I don't recall it using more memory... at least nowhere near that much anyway.

Have been using CCleaner and Puran Registry Cleaner for years and they do a very good job ?
"Never have, never will."

7up.jpg

Yeah, that is playing with fire, those registry cleaners. Its honestly easier, or, at least the way I do it. Is to just re-image things from a stable point in time. I have images I can restore from that has all my needed software and updated drivers etc. Takes 20 mins or so to blow an image onto the 950Pro again. :)

And.....off to the store for some 7Up!! :rofl:

Well the whole idea for registry cleaning in the 1st place was to make if smaller/faster/fix errors, nowadays its kind of a moot point for the 1st 2 issues. Remember having to defrag the registry on a spinner so windows would boot faster :rolleyes: tbh considering the amount of crap in the registry programs left behind 10 years ago its a small wonder we didn't have to re-install/re-image every month.

Yeah, it was just part of the defrag process eons ago (feels like it). Can't say I would worry about it these days, particularly with an SSD. Maybe I have been lucky, but I don't have boot issues, or registry corruption that I didn't cause myself! It is also worth noting I am a minimalist when it comes to installing things on my PC. I tend to be careful not to install anything I am not using. So that leaves less things to clean and get borked versus people that install things they may not use or need.

+1 I also run a clean system I hate installing programs I don't need or will just uninstall later. I just hate leftover registry entries that can cause trouble.

Always a pleasure to see someone post what they specifically don't like, maybe it can be enabled/fixed rather than endless complaining about default settings of Windows 10.

QUOTE=Tech Tweaker:

-Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox didn't function properly after the upgrade, had to be reinstalled on every machine I had them installed on.

As long as you registered in the cloud, you can always fresh install, as with previous versions of Windows, fresh install removes these issues.

-Can't seem to add programs to the Windows Startup folder to get them to run on startup like I've always done on Win 7. The program Real Temp in particular absolutely refuses to run on start-up, no idea why. Even replaced the program files with new ones, and a new shortcut on the desktop to the executable file for the program, plus a new link in the Startup folder. Still fails to work.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

-Overall UI seems unintuitive. A lot of flash, but maybe a little light on the functionality side of things. I don't think I'd install this on a PC for an aunt, uncle, grandmother, or grandfather (or anyone in or near the senior citizen crowd). My older relatives are confused and frustrated enough by Windows 7 and 8/8.1, I don't need to add further confusion.

YES. All that can and should be manually removed. Install this and make your own heaven UI.
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

-Can't choose what updates get installed, or when (in many cases). It is sometimes necessary to uninstall or block updates from installing (due to incompatibilities with hardware or software or instabilities in the updates themselves), so I find this rather annoying. I like to control what gets installed on my PC, not be forced in to installing updates I can't even see coming. Maybe it's the computer technician side of me, or the side of me that looks for security risks, but this just seems like a bad idea.

The only solution to this is to use Windows 8 until 2023. But with Windows 10, we can choose to either never, ever get ANY updates, period. Or get ALL, updates, EVERYTHING, when we visit the Windows Update page.
Visiting that page, just the act of checking for Updates, will install ALL Win10 updates, period.
There is no fix. There will never be a fix.

With Windows 10, you either get no updates ever, if you are on Win10 Pro, disable them and stay away from Win10 update page. Or you get all updates, everything. Those are the only two choices.

-Can't seem to set all of my screens to the same wallpaper, while using the slideshow feature of the wallpapers (I have multiple wallpapers that I normally set to change every X number of minutes). So, each screen has a different wallpaper. This might be useful if I had multiple views of one scene I wanted to display across my monitors, but I don't, so it isn't really useful so much as it is annoying.

That is what I do. You can do too if you buy this program http://www.displayfusion.com

-Can't get Task Manager to snap to a specific screen on startup or shutdown of the program. I've moved it to my secondary screen multiple times, but every time I have to reopen it the thing pops up on my primary screen. At least Windows 7 remembered which screen I had that program running on last.

There is a keyboard shortcut to move any Window to any screen of you buy this program http://www.displayfusion.com

-WAY too many security risks. Connecting to the same wifi as users on my contact list? Why would it assume that because someone on my contact list is connected to a wifi, that then that wifi is automatically safe and secure enough for my computer to connect to it as well? Automatically connect to nearby wifi hotspots? Uh, no thanks, I think I'll choose which wifi connections to connect to. Use my computer to send and receive updates to and from other computers? Uh, no thanks, that sounds like a security risk and I don't want my computer running as a bot to download updates for other PC's.
-In Windows 10 my PC seems to use a lot more memory, for reasons unknown. At idle sitting at the desktop in Windows 7 I typically used 9-15% of my system memory. At idle sitting at the desktop in Windows 10 I am using 25-28% of my memory, for reasons unknown, as a quick stroll through Task Manager doesn't reveal any programs or processes that are using an unusually high amount of memory. Some kind of memory leak maybe???

Yes. You need a list of things that need to be changed. Things you listed can be changed. Ask how if you don't know any specific one. RAM is allocated for your benefit and released as needed. Not necessarily a memory leak.

CCleaner is good for quickly cleaning cookies / web browsing history, a lot of us don't use it to "clean" the registry since we've established that registry cleaners in 21st century are what snake oil was in the 19th century.

But to quickly clean your browser cookies/history, CCleaner is great:
Copy the program shortcut to another location > Right click on the program shortcut > Properties > Next to Target:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO
> OK
to create a new shortcut that would start the program, clean all, then close the program.

Words to live by are:
Personally I don't trust any third-party registry cleaning programs, especially from unknown sources, for determining that my registry has errors that need to be repaired or deleted. If you were to do a registry scan w/ ten different so-called registry cleaning / repair programs, you'd get ten different scan results. So being that the results would be different based on the program, which one would you trust to clean your registry?

A guy posted here some time ago that used the built-in registry cleaner in CCleaner, after which on reboot Windows refused to load either to normal mode or safe mode. He hadn't made a backup beforehand, and had important data on the drive that he couldn't afford to lose.

If 'optimizers' are not snake oil then what do they remove from registry that measurably improves performance? What were the symptoms of broken PCs, what did they do/not do after being repaired by programs which removed registry entries?

CCleaner has a nice /AUTO switch to clean your web browsing history/cache/recycle bin, but allowing anything to blindly remove registry entries it sees fit is risky business.

I do not think this has been posted in this thread but to anyone subscribed to this thread, there is news of gigantic proportions for anyone who likes to change default Windows annoyances.

In two days, with the release of a new major mandatory Win 10 build, group policy updates will be taken out from Windows 10 Pro, so we will no linger be able to modify Windows 10 using the group policy editor (!!)

We will also not be able to use any driver version made by a company which did not pay Microsoft to certify it. This makes sense for security reasons but this was always the case before. We just had to jump through circus hoops to use modded drivers. Average users would not be able to do that so this is more about taking away those circus hoops from experienced users who knew exactly what they were doing and why, in other words, we were not exactly installing modded drivers accidentally. To address security concerns they could have just put in more circus hoops.

But taking out Group Policy definitely hurts mire...

Last edited:
If 'optimizers' are not snake oil then what do they remove from registry that measurably improves performance? What were the symptoms of broken PCs, what did they do/not do after being repaired by programs which removed registry entries?

The registry is a file that fragments just like every other, "back in the day" when HDDs were slow and loading Windows took longer then 1m it had to be defragged just like every other file. Windows loads this file at startup. Big fragmented registry equals slower Windows load/work in general. Optimizer cleans up the registry by removing all the superfluous entries, all the garbage the programs leave when you uninstall something. A good clean a week used to net me around 10s faster boot on my old AMD-K6 200mhz.

On this forum, no one has ever been able to demonstrate a measurable increase in performance on modern computers, using the before and after figures.

On the other hand, stories of Windows OS disasters after blindly removing registry entries are plentiful.

Wow....thanks for sharing! Can't say I had that much trouble.

For computer management, just right click on Explorer or this pc and then manage. That shortcut hasn't changed.

Doesn't task manager always pop up on the main screen? It's been a while so I don't recall.

W10 is much more secure than 7, actually. If you don't want to click no.

No memory leaks in 10. I don't recall it using more memory... at least nowhere near that much anyway.

Tried right-clicking on Explorer, it didn't give me the option of Manage. I always went to it through Administrative Tools (which now seems to be buried near the bottom of the programs list in the default interface of 10, for whatever reason), or right-clicking My Computer.

Well, for me in Windows 7 Task Manager always popped up on the screen it was on last when closing, which for me was usually my second monitor.

In what way is it actually more secure than 7? I've heard that a lot, but have yet to hear how it has been made more secure.

Did seem like a memory leak to me. After putting the PC into sleep mode and then bringing it back out memory utilization dropped to 17%. Still not as low as it is in 7 for me, but better than the 28% it was at before going into sleep mode.

Always a pleasure to see someone post what they specifically don't like, maybe it can be enabled/fixed rather than endless complaining about default settings of Windows 10.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

-Overall UI seems unintuitive. A lot of flash, but maybe a little light on the functionality side of things. I don't think I'd install this on a PC for an aunt, uncle, grandmother, or grandfather (or anyone in or near the senior citizen crowd). My older relatives are confused and frustrated enough by Windows 7 and 8/8.1, I don't need to add further confusion.

YES. All that can and should be manually removed. Install this and make your own heaven UI.
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

-Can't seem to set all of my screens to the same wallpaper, while using the slideshow feature with the wallpapers (I have multiple wallpapers that I normally set to change every X number of minutes). So, each screen has a different wallpaper. This might be useful if I had multiple views of one scene I wanted to display across my monitors, but I don't, so it isn't really useful so much as it is annoying.

That is what I do. You can do too if you buy this program http://www.displayfusion.com

Yes. You need a list of things that need to be changed. Things you listed can be changed. Ask how if you don't know any specific one. RAM is allocated for your benefit and released as needed. Not necessarily a memory leak.

I didn't know there were two locations for Startup programs. Windows 7 and XP only had one location where you needed to add the program shortcuts to have them run on startup.

I'd already installed ClassicShell actually. Made things marginally better.

Aw nuts, now I have to buy a program to do something that Windows 7 did by default in the way it was designed?!

Last edited:
Sorry, yes.. right click on 'This PC' in explorer. :)

I don't use sleep mode. Booting is almost as fast. :)

Back