• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Microsoft is moving towards needing an account to log in in Windows too. you can still use your local account, but you have to keep jumping through more hoops.

The download finished up at 4:12 a.m. at 100%. But the installer won't activate. I took the two screenies below, one showing the WinTen update at 100%, the other one is after a reboot (did this after about an hour of it hanging, have done this twice. Any ideas? 1903 after reboot.jpg 1903 download.jpg Got the pix loaded backwards, but, .........anyway.

The download finished up at 4:12 a.m. at 100%. But the installer won't activate. I took the two screenies below, one showing the WinTen update at 100%, the other one is after a reboot (did this after about an hour of it hanging, have done this twice. Any ideas?View attachment 206532View attachment 206533 Got the pix loaded backwards, but, .........anyway.

see if any of the options tell you a little more about what failed like the "view update history" or the "advanced options"

I turned on my PC at some point about a month or six weeks ago, tethered it to my phone hotspot, and the update simply installed. I'd had my son download the 1903 update, put it on a flash drive and bring it by only to not need it the day he arrived. Don't know what changed. But all updates are configured and updated regularly now. Wish I could offer some insight but don't have any clue what happened.

Finally decided to move my main system up to Win10.

A few changes I recommend most of which is located in this thread.

Disable built in AD services and various pop ups from within windows
This slims the system a fair bit, and is a good start.

Disable Cortana using group policy

Disable Timeline with group policy

Remove unwanted apps and services:
This was a process to work out to my liking, but this is what I did

Type the following command(s) in an elevated powershell to remove all Modern apps from the system account:

Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online
This means that all newly created user accounts will come without built-in Modern apps. This also means that new user accounts will be created faster.

Type the following command to remove all Modern apps from your current user account

Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Here's yet another command you may find useful. Use it to remove all Metro apps from a specific user account. It's quite similar to the command above, just add -User username part. Substitute the user name of the account for which you wish to remove Modern apps in the command line in place of <username>.

Get-AppXPackage -User <username> | Remove-AppxPackage

Finally, here's a command that will remove Metro apps for all user accounts:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
This command will make sure that Modern apps don't keep coming back to your user account even after you uninstalled them.

Source

So after cleaning up the system using commands 1 2 and 4 I found its a little barren which its supposed to be, but a little to stripped down.
Lacking access to the windows store to replace the 2-3 apps I actually need I had to go hunting for a different solution.

So I found THIS

After a few failed attempts at #2 and knowing that #4 will not work due to command #4 above I ended up running method #3.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Now I know that this will undo command #4 from the initial instructions, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel here.
The local install does not download the initial 3rd party apps, or even all of the MS apps. To finish cleaning my system after reinstalling I only had to remove about 6 apps all of which could easily be removed from the start menu.

The results I am running Win 10 Pro 1907 fully updated, and general system resource usage at idle is attractive. 1.46Gb memory used at the desktop and CPU chillin with 1 core active running 1.3Ghz at 1% or less utilization. Boot time is pretty good and the system is quite responsive. So credit where credit is due if you clean up Win 10 its actually more resource efficient than Win 7 at least while idle.

Yes Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 in that way and many other ways.
But how many of your customizations did you discover to have been reset between major build updates. As 2023 approaches, that will be the main question for me, how to lock in customizations.

Careful when removing apps though, leave the xBox stuff alone if you game as it's part of the "Game Mode" system that boosts your FPS in Win10.

Yes Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 in that way and many other ways.
But how many of your customizations did you discover to have been reset between major build updates. As 2023 approaches, that will be the main question for me, how to lock in customizations.

Not sure yet, only time will tell on this.
My buddy warned me about that. Says major updates sometime mess up his custom settings.

The last update (1903 November issue; it has electrolytes!) hosed my sound settings. But that may be because there was an NVidia update bolted on as well, hard to say.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it worked fine until a forced update to Android v6. My carrier doesn't have a removable sim chip so rooting it might be a problem. I wish I could just roll back and lock it down to v5.

YodaNoFear it was proven in court that some of these updates disable old devices. Samsung and especially Apple both do it, proven in court.
You may use your phone only if you don't update, although my experimentation with Note4 suggests that even without updating, somehow code is inserted that has the effect of disabling normal usage, FORCING a purchase of another, newer phone.
This is a huge problem. I have several Galaxy S4s and S5 that I rooted, can even install custom OS on them. Yet they are not usable for calls and text and web browsing shortly after being reimaged, shortly after their OS is reinstalled. Even OLD OS versions that I know worked before. It's a problem that requires criminal regulation. The problem is that they make so much money, even huge monetary fines have no effect on them.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/m...535996users-with-errors-should-uninstall.html

"For those who do not know the problems related to the KB4535996 update; Many Windows 10 users reported that when they tried to install the update, the installation fails with the generic error messages 0x800f0922 and 0x80070003. Users also reported that, after waiting for more than the account to complete the download and restarting the machine, the update caused a blue screen and a warning indicating that the system could not complete the update. Other users were able to install it but encountered random freezes, BSOD errors, and other performance related issues. After applying the update, the sound cards of some machines stopped working."

"Microsoft said it was "aware of the problems" with signtool.exe after installing the optional update KB4535996 for Windows 10 version 1903 or Windows 10 version 1909. The solution that Microsoft offers is to uninstall KB4535996."

Back