• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/miocrosoft-again-halts-october-2018-update-on-some-pcs.html

"PCs running corporate security software Morphisec Protector or applications that make use of Morphisec technology will be blocked from installing the latest large Windows 10 update."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

"Microsoft and Morphisec have identified an issue on devices that have installed Morphisec Protector or another application that uses the Morphisec Software Development Kit (SDK) including: Cisco AMP for Endpoints. These applications may impact customers’ ability to save Microsoft Office documents.

Workaround: Uninstall affected applications and get updated versions from respective vendors when available."

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/m...-10-update-halting-systems-from-starting.html

"Microsoft has confirmed an issue with the latest update for Windows Defender for both Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. The update was released earlier this week and due to the issue, some Windows 10 systems with Secure Boot will no longer start. The update can also cause issues with AppLocker if it’s activated..."

"The workarounds involve changing the allowed paths in Windows and disabling SecureBoot and require some manual typing."

https://www.techpowerup.com/254376/microsoft-reconsiders-no-more-forced-updates-in-windows-10

"Microsoft Reconsiders: No More Forced Updates in Windows 10"

"Not only will Windows no longer push updates inadvertently, now home users will also have the ability to not only pause updates, but also remove them. There's a caveat, though - you won't be able to postpone feature updates forever. As it stands, Microsoft has an 18 month "end of life" period for major Windows 10 versions, which means that after your 18 months of postponing updates are up (and all of the kinks have been ironed out), you PC will still update to the latest version."

I read that article earlier today as well. It seems that they may have gotten the releases to some point of structure that allows for more modest or nominally intrusive updating, or they have listened to end users' complaints enough to be smarter at customer service and marketing. Either way, it will generally mean that in 5 years there will be some folks that haven't updated in 5 years complaining because some new app or hardware won't work and it's a mystery to them. We'll see them post up here.

Maybe re-read this entire thread. It's loaded with 'how-to's' in order to disable updates, apps, and other work-arounds. And that will continue no doubt into the future of WinTen. People will shut stuff down not fully understanding (in some cases) what they've triggered and will seek out help. MS will not be able to control the update that you get or not, nor the ability of folks to wonk up. Maybe you're right, MS will shut down and quit working if you try to postpone after 18 months, but I don't see that happening, especially in an enterprise environment. And with their history of messing up the updates and issuing 'recalls' I'd say that it would be overly trusting to think it won't happen throughout their update history.

I have my Win10 leashed by default (O&O ShutUp10) so I'm good either way, maybe more people can learn to do the same, it really only takes ~30s :p At least they aren't shutting down for updates in the middle of whatever you're doing anymore AFAIK, that should count as progress on MS side ?

Yeah, this for sure. I posted up in an 1809 thread that I couldn't get the update and Trents figured out that my WinTen updater was hosed. Wagex had the same issue. Trents sent me a flash drive with the 1809 version of MS WinTen and all is good now. But as good as I think MS has been overall, they still wonk up a bit.

Yeah, this for sure. I posted up in an 1809 thread that I couldn't get the update and Trents figured out that my WinTen updater was hosed. Wagex had the same issue. Trents sent me a flash drive with the 1809 version of MS WinTen and all is good now. But as good as I think MS has been overall, they still wonk up a bit.

Do you have the link to the thread at all?

I'm still on 1803, and 1809 is not an option to me?

1803.PNG

Why only Media Creation Tool being downloaded when go to the Windows 10 Download Page? How can I download the Windows 10 ISO directly?

https://www.techpowerup.com/254802/...auses-machines-with-csvs-to-freeze-or-lock-up

"The April 2019 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 released this "patch Tuesday" (9th April), bearing knowledgebase code KB4493509, is discovered to cause machines with cluster shared volumes (CSVs) to become unresponsive upon restart after installing the update. Installation of cumulative updates forces system restart as Windows shuts down certain services and drivers to a bare-minimum state so it could overwrite system files."

Do you have the link to the thread at all?

I'm still on 1803, and 1809 is not an option to me?

View attachment 205398

SP, I'm not sure why this is but I see it sometimes in my customer base who already have 1803 when manually checking for updates. It just doesn't show the 1809 update as being available. But for most who have 1803 installed when I check for 1809 it finds, downloads and installs it.

SP, I'm not sure why this is but I see it sometimes in my customer base who already have 1803 when manually checking for updates. It just doesn't show the 1809 update as being available. But for most who have 1803 installed when I check for 1809 it finds, downloads and installs it.

It's weird, I wasn't even offered the 1809 update even when manually checking.

I had to go the Microsoft's site here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update download & run the "Update Assistant" and it downloaded and installed 1809 no problem.

1809.PNG

Back