• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some Radiator & Pump help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt J.

Registered
Hello all I,m Building my first Water system , need some help regarding a few details on the build.

So I'm Building a Caselabs Th10A with Pedestal , my Issues are the Pump and rad's .

So i want Run 2- 560's to start ( considered 2 loops each with a 560-Bottom & 480-top )

trying to decide on best Radiator manufacturer ( thinking hardwarelabs ) and which 560 to choose.

I was told : 2-560's , cpu i7-3960x , titan X Sc and 2 motherboard blocks all EK-WB would be to much for 1 D5 pump/ loop and i would need a dual ?

so i was considering 2 (Caselabs: Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX )

The room gets warm, I have the Money and case space for 2-560s and up 4 480s' i plan on running 1/2" primo Petg

Suggestions on What to do / Buy ??

http://www.caselabs-store.com/pedestal-magnum-th10a-th10-mh10/

That is way too much radiator...2 560's would be more than sufficient, 2 480's would probably do it as well with ease.. More rads won't cool it down anymore, you can only cool to ambient, the warmer the room, the warmer the loop. Also no need for separate loops, one is fine.

Any quality rad manufacturer will be fine.

Not really sure about the pump, from experience one would be fine as long as you don't have any super restrictive blocks.

Probably be better off dropping the pedestal idea and just running 2x 480's in the case. Save money to spend on better fans?

2 of these would do just fine http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-monsta-480-radiator.html

Last edited:
Running dual pumps can present problems of its own and I agree with STuner that you are going way overboard with your rads.

As he also pointed out, after a certain point the law of diminishing returns sets in when adding more radiator surface.

You reach this equilibrium where ambient temp becomes the controlling factor and adding more rad has very little effect on temps at a given watt level.

What adding more rad does do, however, is create a larger buffer against higher temps created by adding higher watt components needing to be cooled.

So, for instance, you can double the rad area on a system and experience maybe 3c temp drops. But if you add another monster video card to the cooling loop the temps may only increase 3c whereas before adding the exra rad surface they would have risen much more.

I would run everything in a one loop configuration. Since you have that many premium parts involved and such a large loop, I would run a dual pump in serial setup for the redundancy and the fact that you'll be able to run the pumps at a lower speed together working as one instead of having one running at a much higher setting.

Rads, I would stick with the 120mm variant as there are more well known rad fans out there than there are at 140mm.

The only good thing about hitting diminishing returns on too much Rad is it gives you the luxury to even lessen your Fans to a more quieter setting while maintaining the same performance.

I would run everything in a one loop configuration. Since you have that many premium parts involved and such a large loop, I would run a dual pump in serial setup for the redundancy and the fact that you'll be able to run the pumps at a lower speed together working as one instead of having one running at a much higher setting.

Rads, I would stick with the 120mm variant as there are more well known rad fans out there than there are at 140mm.

The only good thing about hitting diminishing returns on too much Rad is it gives you the luxury to even lessen your Fans to a more quieter setting while maintaining the same performance.

I appreciate the info , its going to be 2 560's . How would i run the 2 pumps, do you have a Example part ?
i want to run in this order res-pump-cpu-possible board blks- TitanX - through 2 560s back to res 1 d5 can't do this ?

CPU:EK-Supremacy EVO Elite Edition - Intel 2011
Gpu Titan X SC EK-FC Titan X - Nickel w/ Backplate
560's :
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560 Black Carbon Radiator
Model: SR2560-F2PB

Pump:EK-XTOP D5 PWM - Acetal (incl. pump) http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-xtop-d5-pwm-acetal-incl-pump.html#Specifications

I will just Run two separate loops if need be

Last edited:
The route doesn't matter at all. Pumps are usually put side by side. They make mounts to hold 2 pumps, even reses with built in pump mounting for 2 pumps.

Then you run your tubing for the best look and efficiency. As long as the pump is before the res (meaning the res feeds the pump due to gravity for filling the loop, the route you use doesn't matter.

Last edited:
the only thing I care about in loop order is that it ends with water leaving a rad back to the res so that a pump never sees hot water, yea, I know at our water temps it's not a real issue anyway.

I Do appreciate everyone's help I'm not trying to seems Foolish about all this just Trying to learn what i can to
make a Solid go of this, piling a lot of money into this just want to do it right the first time , my brand new Titan x-Sc is hitting
83-84 Cels. i want to put a stop too this .

Take your time and stop being impatient and look at other builds that involve your caselab case and see where they positioned their reservoirs and pumps. You could jump the gun and buy things but where will you put it than? Take your time. As you said, do it right the first time.

Also, those 2 D5 pumps are ridiculously overpriced. You could either go and purchase them all as a combo + reservoir or buy them individually and put them together.

Here's a couple of examples that comes to mind but not sure where you'd house it in your case. Don't forget where you'd configure the reservoir as well.

Dual D5s + Tops
900x900px-LL-dc115cdd_DSC04617.jpeg

Dual DDCs + Tops
MCP35X2-PUMP-BKX600.jpg

With whichever you go with, both pump configurations are great. DDCs might be a bit louder but have more head pressure as D5s have the lesser of the two. Regardless, grab which ever you feel like going with.

Here's another example of a complete overkill build that isn't finished yet but remember it being a dual pump+top+Res setup in a Caselab's case to give you a clearer picture. Don't mind his idea of the dual loop configuration. Keep it all one single loop. This example below is a build that is a complete waste of money but to each their own. The guy purchased GTX Titan Blacks from a least a year ago and still hasn't used them. He bought part by part over a very lengthy time. I tried giving him advice a while back in another forum but I'm not sure if he understood anything I said since I had a hard time reading and understanding some of his posts as I don't think english was his main language.

13c21eaa0e2b.jpg

Source

I would drop the motherboard blocks, there is no need to cool your motherboard. All those blocks will do is add restriction to your loop.

Agreed. Glad someone mentioned it. Mobos these days unless you have a silly AMD cheap mobo with a HOT AMD CPU, no need. Frivolous, waste of money, only for the bling sponsored builders that never use the PC's they build. They like funny colored UV water too.

- - - Updated - - -

Take your time and stop being impatient and look at other builds that involve your caselab case and see where they positioned their reservoirs and pumps. You could jump the gun and buy things but where will you put it than? Take your time. As you said, do it right the first time.

There you go. You really know very little about this stuff. Many successful builders new at this read for WEEKS and then work on a parts list. Then post their ideas. Give it time, you are gonna spend a ton of money, it's a hobby, not a silly app or the latest thing.

Then you have to maintain it. You prepared for that?

Wow , your giving me very little credit. I've watched around 35 wc vids read the sticky's. Im just trying to plan it out. And see what parts I want on my PPc.wishlist. Ive only ordered my case and ek cpu blk because it was the 2nd to last one I could find for a i7-3960x. And yes im very aware of the Maintenance of wc. Im new to wc. However im not an Idiot. Thanks for the help and all.

I just built my first watercooled PC earlier this month. I'm already going to be tearing it down to clean it because the dye is settling in the crevices in my blocks. I spent some moolah on it too. Caselabs Mercury S8, Alphacool UT 60 360 rads (two) EK nickel blocks (two for my 980s) and ek res/pump, ek supremacy cpu block. It's fun, but be patient with it. Took me a lot longer than I thought to get everything together. Took me a day to get rads ready, then installed them late in the day, did blocks next day and got everything in. Wired it up the day after. Just take your time, and take advice.

In all honesty, I ran into a ton of problems and things didn't go as planned multiple times lol. Including fittings not lining up right. I would consider going for colored tubing if you're thinking about running dye. Water still gets in some parts of the blocks, and the dye is going to stick in those parts, in the tight spots between the nickel and acrylic.

20150815_025923_zpst7lqfm3g.jpg

Setup a drain too. Make things easy on yourself if you have to drain it for whatever reason.

Pics of what it looks like

20150807_001814_zpsjesveyzk.jpg

20150807_001823_zps82dqwfzi.jpg

20150807_001806_zps2mqmm8le.jpg

Looks cool! lol, but not cool enough to be tearing it down a couple weeks later. Had no problems while I was running distilled and PT nuke for a week.

Back