• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual pump and radiator loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marchermitte

Registered
Hello!
I didn't build any new computers for a long while but working in 3d, I cracked up for a threadripper 32 cores system for 3d rendering.
I already had a 480 radiator, a 360 (both copper), 2 Lain pumps and I was wondering, given the temperature specs of the threadripper, If It would be worth using the 2 pumps and the 2 radiators in my loop? Plus if one of the pump dies, It seems like a good insurance to have another one preventing the cpu to fry.
Now if this is worth It, I was thinking of building the loop like this:
Pump/reservoir-----cpu--------rad 01-----------pump/reservoir 2---------------rad 2-----------------back to pump/res 01.

What do you think?

Thank you

Check out the sticky threads... a lot of good information in there.. :)

1. I'd use a single 480. No point in more, really...diminishing returns.
2. I'd use a single pump. No need for two. If the CPU gets hot, it shuts down to prevent damage. If that cannot happen with your work, then use two pumps. But a CPU will shutdown before it does damage to itself through temps.
3. Loop order isn't relevant outside of having a reservoir feed the pump.

Check out the sticky threads... a lot of good information in there.. :)

1. I'd use a single 480. No point in more, really...diminishing returns.
2. I'd use a single pump. No need for two. If the CPU gets hot, it shuts down to prevent damage. If that cannot happen with your work, then use two pumps. But a CPU will shutdown before it does damage to itself through temps.
3. Loop order isn't relevant outside of having a reservoir feed the pump.

Ok, that would be overkill then.
Thank you for your imput.
I feared the threadripper to fry because this particular one seems to be known to overheat really easily when overclocked, and given the price, It makes me slightly parano.
I've done a few watercooling loops in the past, even a dual (cpu + 3 gpu) but never mixed 2 rad and pumps in one single loop nor seen any example of it... must be a reason!
I'm going through the sticky thread to refresh my memory. Thank you again.

Don't let EarthDog discourage you. I firmly believe in overkill. I have dual 420s and dual pumps in my loop. :)

Don't let EarthDog discourage you. I firmly believe in wasting money. I have dual 420s and dual pumps in my loop. :)
FTFY. :p

In all seriousness, the benefits of going overkill like that, to me, just don't justify the cost. The IHS on TR (read any CPU) can only dissipate so much heat in the first place. A 480 rad is plenty... some would even call it overkill. :p :)

Well, I already own all the components so It's not like I would have to spend any extra cash.
I have the tower 900 (Thermaltake) and a threadripper 32cores / 64 thread... that sounds already like overkill.
Let's suppose I'd like to go that way, then, would the order of the loop I explained above in the first post be ideal? You think I wouldn't see much temp difference between one 480 rad and an added 360?

That loop order is fine so long as the res is before a pump. Outside of that, loop order is not relevant.

Correct. I don't believe you would see a big difference... maybe 1-3C at best. If you already have it, use it, what the heck right? Or, maybe sell the extra parts and go get dinner and beer, or keep them for reserve/another system.

That loop order is fine so long as the res is before a pump. Outside of that, loop order is not relevant.

Correct. I don't believe you would see a big difference... maybe 1-3C at best. If you already have it, use it, what the heck right? Or, maybe sell the extra parts and go get dinner and beer, or keep them for reserve/another system.

I would agree that under normal operation it won't make a huge difference. Part of the consideration is what will fit in your case. :)

What abnormal operation would it make a big difference? The IHS properties do not change, right? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants... but trying to figure out if I missed something. :)

If you are benching, or have an application that will occasionally tax your CPU heavily the extra radiator just improves the heat gain curve a bit. It depends on your water block quality as well.

A second rad also allows you to run your fans at a lower RPM to achieve a similar result to a single rad at high RPM.

Martin did some testing at one point and had some examples. I wish he was still testing. :)

Like saturation? For those extra couple ounces of liquid? I agree on the science, but it's really negligible the result.

Silence, I also agree with... but surely a 480 can be pretty quiet with quiet fans, even when overclocked. Those CPUs aren't putting out that much wattage even when overclocked, are they?

From an article abouth Tr 2990wx wattage:

"Even during our stress test with PBO enabled, Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX's thermal battle ends exactly at 500W. To top this, you need to manipulate your motherboard's limits and start messing with LN2. Then it's possible to top out just under 600W using a static 4.1 GHz."

well, this IS a 3d rendering workstation so It will be used at full power most of the time... not sure I will overclock It.

Last edited:
Then you are likely looking at around a 250W load for just the CPU (according to that same article). That rad will handle it and be quiet there and with some overclocking.

Either way, we'll support ya! I just like to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!).

Last edited:
I certainly will but there will be nothing beautifull of fancy about the rig, the look isn't my priority, even if I do admire most configs I see posted around.

Back