• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Freeze Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebucity

Registered
Hey Team,

Ran into a problem last night with a Win 10 update / Catalyst update. Here is the context.

Computer installed Win 10 Pro fine (Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro). Computer restarted blah blah blah. I then downloaded the latest (non-beta) release of Catalyst for my GPU which supports DX12 WOOT!.

At 85% of download complete the Catalyst download UI disappears. I wait and nothing happens. Okay, I decided to restart the computer. Start -> Power -> Restart. Windows preps for configuration of updates and configures updates.

Computer restarts and hangs pre-OS boot. Says over clocking has failed. This is interesting as this OC has been tried and true for over a year and a half. I know the argument that nothing is truly stable.

I don't want to loose my OC because of the time commitment.

I have tried restarting the computer (Galene is her name) multiple times. All times except for one lead to the same conclusion. The exception was when a series of beeps came before the freeze. They were steady. Beeep-Beeep-Beeep-Beeep.

Lose the OC or the rig never starts again. Pretty simple.
Clear the CMOS.

Overclocks fail more often in the summer time over heat issues.

Overclocking stability should really be tested periodically.
I bet you quite a few of people's older rigs are unstable without them knowing it.
Dust accumulation, all sorts of reasons.

Most CPUs can be overclocked - the headroom is there for a reason.
When we overclock - we remove that headroom and what was initially stable is not stable after a while.

Periodic stability tests are the answer.

Back