• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Keyboard (With Cherry MX Red Switches)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Hi,

I know this question has probably been asked a million times about this particular keyboard, but I felt the need to ask it again. :p For those of you who own this keyboard, would you recommend it? Have you had any issues of failing LEDs or any other issues to report? How do you like the Cherry MX Red Switches? Are they loud?

Thanks in advance.

Get a Cherry key switch tester, you'll thank yourself later.

I have one and I LOVE IT. All cherry switches are inherently loud by nature (compared to a membrane keyboard), but the reds are less obtrusive than the clicky switches.

Reds are actually near silent assuming you know how to properly type, AKA not bottoming out the keys. I myself am not able to consistently keep myself from bottoming out keys(I'm getting better though), so I bought o-rings which helped quite a bit.

My only issue with the K70, is it's price. It's $20 more than a Ducky Shine 4, which is FAR better in the quality department, you just don't get the RGB color choices. And considering the Ducky Shine 5 has already started selling in Taiwan, we may be getting that soon, and well, the quality.....
http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-shine-5/

Outside of that though, Corsair is a quality mfg that is simply amazing when it comes to community support as well as customer support, so you are pretty well covered with the purchase.

Reds are actually near silent assuming you know how to properly type, AKA not bottoming out the keys. I myself am not able to consistently keep myself from bottoming out keys(I'm getting better though), so I bought o-rings which helped quite a bit.

My only issue with the K70, is it's price. It's $20 more than a Ducky Shine 4, which is FAR better in the quality department, you just don't get the RGB color choices. And considering the Ducky Shine 5 has already started selling in Taiwan, we may be getting that soon, and well, the quality.....
http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-shine-5/

Outside of that though, Corsair is a quality mfg that is simply amazing when it comes to community support as well as customer support, so you are pretty well covered with the purchase.

I hear this frequently... have you honestlu ever seen someone type like that? Can't be common...

Once, lol. From what I understand you have to completely relearn how to type. I'd love to say I can do it, but when I try I end up bottoming out and just saying screw it.

I hear this frequently... have you honestlu ever seen someone type like that? Can't be common...

Yes, I do it daily.

Once, lol. From what I understand you have to completely relearn how to type. I'd love to say I can do it, but when I try I end up bottoming out and just saying screw it.

This. You have to train yourself to type on a mech without bottoming out, but it's so much faster once you do it.
It also makes typing on a membrane difficult, FYI.

Yep, I have heard about vast improvements for those that can get it down pat, an increase in WPM if you will.

That may be my other problem, with me currently being back in school, on a daily basis I am using a Dell membrane board which is in near every classroom with computers, no mechs. Maybe I should propose mechanical goodness to the dean...... hmmm, maybe a bad idea, all we'd hear is "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK".

Haha, just swap your keyboard from home in every day ;)

As easy as just saying it sounds, when you are carrying 30lbs+ of books on your back as it is, there isn't extra room for a mechie, much less the extra bloat of it just walking around with it in hand. Far too much of a hassle, whereas if it were for work and a single workstation, it would be a bit different.

Back