• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The downclock overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebucity

Registered
I would like to know your thoughts on this approach to overclocking RAM.

The build is in my sig, however I recently changed out the RAM for 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX • DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Timing 10-12-12-31 Cas Latency 10 Voltage 1.65V

I did this to try an experiment. The CPU and MOBO don't support 2400 speeds, however I figured that if I downclock it to 1866 I would have great voltage head room to overclock the timings.

Currently the RAM settings are as follows 1866 7-8-8-24 with at 1:3 ratio with stock voltage.

I would like to know your thoughts on this approach to overclocking RAM.

The build is in my sig, however I recently changed out the RAM for 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX • DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Timing 10-12-12-31 Cas Latency 10 Voltage 1.65V

I did this to try an experiment. The CPU and MOBO don't support 2400 speeds, however I figured that if I downclock it to 1866 I would have great voltage head room to overclock the timings.

Currently the RAM settings are as follows 1866 7-8-8-24 with at 1:3 ratio with stock voltage.
Looks good, play around with it and see what your best trade off between timings and speed are. You may be able to get around 2000 Mhz with near the same timings. Fx chips will usually run the ram above 2000 Mhz but usually needs an increase in the Cpu Nb voltage to do so.

Looks good, play around with it and see what your best trade off between timings and speed are. You may be able to get around 2000 Mhz with near the same timings. Fx chips will usually run the ram above 2000 Mhz but usually needs an increase in the Cpu Nb voltage to do so.

Thanks for the tip.

Do you have any information on what the best ratio settings would be?

Can't really give you any settings, every Cpu,Motherboard and sets of ram are different. Even if I put your sticks on my board they may Oc differently.

Back