• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assessing damage and building back up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All that folding power - it is too bad the PSU is holding you back. Hope you get it worked out.

Tonight I will pick up the materials I need to run a second circuit for my farm. I will start to jockey my parts around to make a more permanent solution to my folding woes. I'm down to four working cards that are not folding right now.

I'm having a hell of a time right now. I had another card go bad. I pulled it from the rig it was in and now that rig does not want to fold. my ppd is down to around 400k or less. I may have to take a break from folding to save my sanity.

Sometimes taking a step back is the best thing in the long run. Maybe just start with 1 system with all the best parts and work from there. I had to throttle back a bit myself since changing the location of my PC.
Hang in there, we need you!

Sometimes taking a step back is the best thing in the long run. Maybe just start with 1 system with all the best parts and work from there. I had to throttle back a bit myself since changing the location of my PC.
Hang in there, we need you!

^what he said :)
Step back take about 6000 deep breaths and build up what you've got left :salute: you've been an inspiration good sir

OK. Thanks guys. I was having a self pity party. I'm over it I think.

I swapped power supplies around like I've been wanting to for a few months now. I had a PS with a bad fan that I need to RMA. The other troublesome PS came back from its second RMA so I put it back in the machine that it was intended for. That freed up the other power supply that I bought to replace the one with the bad fan. Those issues are straightened out. In the process of getting that done, I found that I had a bad 16x ribbon cable and not a bad GPU like I thought. That is very uplifting news for me.

I just bought another used GPU from the classies here and I think that one of the previously diagnosed as bad GPUs may actually be good so.....

As of this writting, I have 10 R9-280x/7970's and 1 or 2 more to install. It's too early to see how the machines will hold up but assuming that they do, my ppd should really go up.

Lost a different power supply and a GPU. I got that machine back up but with only two cards. The PSU that has been RMA'd twice decieded not to work again so there's another three cards down. I have six cards running and that's it for a while.

don, it sure sonds like you are headed for an investment in psu's...........

Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had Don, hope you are able to get things up and running again. Your hardware investment is an inspiration to us all. :)

My ppd is way too low for what I have running. It turns out that one of my rigs lost all of its settings. I was giving away around 350k ppd to anonymous. Not that sleazy hacktivist group though so that's good. I'm in the middle of fixing that while I work on a clients machine and updating my office's "Netflix" computer because what's a home office without some sort of TV?

Don, looks like your ppd will be closer to 600k ppd today. Glad that you have your points back :)

This post will mark the "Exact" moment that I jinx myself. I seem to have a lot of issues sorted out. It is possible that my problem all along was that the RMA PSU did not like a particular MB however....

When the latest RMA came back, it still did not work in the machine that it was intended for. I reluctantly removed all of the cables that I had neatly ran behind the MB tray. I put in another PSU and that machine works fine. The RMA PSU is working great in another machine.

I do have three more cards to get up and working. Two are down while I await two PSU's to come in. I had to scale back so that I could fold with smaller PSUs. caddi_daddi is sending me a "Monster" of a PSU that will cure all that ales me.

One card is down because the HSF on my Sapphire tri-cooling failed. I can not get reasonably priced replacements so I am going to cannibalize a dead card for its fans.

Sounds like you went through one hell of a troubleshooting process. Been there myself with crossfire! Weirdly enough, I discovered today that one of my Tahiti cards is more stable at 1200 Mhz working 1.20 volts then at 1100 Mhz with slightly less volts. I would not worry about jinx'in yourself. Hard work and determination trumps that. Awesome job man - you are killing it.

Wind storm started last night and will continue late into the evening today. Most of my farm is down and I do not intend to fire it up until everything settles down.

don't sweat it too much, I just made a deal with atminside for another 970 to shelve as a spare so when that gets here my spare 7970 goes to the junk pile where the psu came from.

Unfortunately things went really bad. The machine that I installed the new power supply on will not fold. I thought that maybe the current CCC drivers for Windows 10 but there is no newer so I may have to re-evaluate that. I was on F@H 7.3.6 and updated to 7.4.4. I have not been able to follow up on that machine but my ppd shows only one card out of 11 is actually working. One machine won't boot. The other machine.... I don't know.

11 cards, so I assume 3 boards, 3 cpus, 3 psus, correct?
try the one known good card in each rig.
are all these on one circut in the house?

Dang you have had the worse luck with equipment Don. Thought you were over the hump.

I've not done any investigative work on my farm yet but this morning, I turned my "Workstation" unit back on. I then looked at the only other machine that I had running and the OS had crashed. I hit the reset button and the OS will not launch. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I also have a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that will not load either. I will reload these machines either this weekend or next week as time permits.

I also had a hung WU on my main machine so I was down to 0 ppd yesterday. I'm trying to reach that "oh so close" 300 million mark. That's my first goal. My second goal is to get to a reliable 1 million ppd. That one has been elusive.

Back