• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my 980 TIs and system are under performing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hkoror

Hello, I recently picked up MGS V and I put it on the highest settings to see how it would perform. In short I'm under performing compared to a single 980 ti (I have a 980 ti sli setup) which runs at these settings at a solid 60 fps while mine dips between 60-40 randomly and when it does stay at 60 its for a few seconds and keeps dropping about 5 frames or so every second so it isn't stable at all :mad:. Also another things I should mention is, when i turn off sli and use a single 980 ti it is the same and i had the latest driver and I even rolled back to see if there was a change (there was when i launched the game once after that it was the same). Really want to know what is going on, thanks.

P.S. Almost every new game that comes out has the same issue, the fps dropping from 60-55 or even lower for a split second causing massive stutter.

Video I used as a comparison:

System specs? Resolution you play on... something!

What game is MGS V? If that is the game in the video, it says it's capped at 60 fps...

Do you have V sync on in the NVCP?

Last edited:
SLI is broken in many games in the latest batch(es) of nVidia drivers, and since MGS5 is only a couple days old i wouldn't expect miracles...

Ahh, whatever it is (you all loooove abbreviations, lol) if it's that new, there may not be a SLI profile.

System specs? Resolution you play on... something!

What game is MGS V? If that is the game in the video, it says it's capped at 60 fps...

Do you have V sync on in the NVCP?

I'm on a different pc and new account since I forgot the password to my main account and that's at home right now. Basically i have 32 gigs of ram running at 2400 mhz, I forget the exact model but its Gskill brand, I have the Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge. Resolution is 1080p and that is all i can recall. Also the concern was never that I wanted to go past 60 fps, its the fact that someone who has the same card can run max settings and it never dips below 60fps while my rig with the same card (with sli turned off and only running one of the same card) drops to 40 and 50 a lot in the same spots as the video. Also i pretty much total out at 12 gigs of vram. Im not sure about the v sync in the nvidia control panel but i believe it is off.

- - - Updated - - -

SLI is broken in many games in the latest batch(es) of nVidia drivers, and since MGS5 is only a couple days old i wouldn't expect miracles...

Yeah i turned of sli and all of that, the issue is even when I'm on a single card with the bridge even removed between the two cards i still run worse than this person with the same card, I don't know if it is an issue with my card or some other piece of hardware. Also a thing of note is that with other games there are moments where the game freezes up for a split second or two and stutters. Also im just on a new account since i forgot the pass to my main account and email and it is not with me right now.

Do you have any overclock that might be messing with the stability ?

Have you done a full uninstall (with DDU) of your current video card drivers and reinstall the latest ones from nVidia?

Other programs running in background? Clean reinstall of drivers? I'm also running SLI 980 Ti, 32gb ram but with a 6600k and have no frame drops. Most new games aren't optimized from release and can cause issues, especially those that are console ports. It may take time for optimization.

2 980Ti's at 1080p...............:shrug:

That curious choice aside, 1080p can be a CPU bound resolution, particularly when you are trying to push overkill type power through a stock CPU. As was said earlier, its a brand new title and perhaps the SLI profile isn't working or working properly. I would suggest overclocking that CPU a bit and see if that helps. If it doesn't try what Janus said about the drivers.

But honestly, I am not seeing a problem here.

Do you have any overclock that might be messing with the stability ?

Nope it isn't clocked anymore and it's the same, I tried overclocking before to see if it would fix anything. No dice.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you done a full uninstall (with DDU) of your current video card drivers and reinstall the latest ones from nVidia?

Just tried that, running the exact same.

- - - Updated - - -

2 980Ti's at 1080p...............:shrug:

That curious choice aside, 1080p can be a CPU bound resolution, particularly when you are trying to push overkill type power through a stock CPU. As was said earlier, its a brand new title and perhaps the SLI profile isn't working or working properly. I would suggest overclocking that CPU a bit and see if that helps. If it doesn't try what Janus said about the drivers.

But honestly, I am not seeing a problem here.

I'm planning to going to 4k soon that's why I have this current rig. The issue isn't the sli anymore that I understand, my concern is that my single 980 ti is not matching the same results as somebody with a single 980 ti. Tried overclocking and the driver uninstall and nothing changed.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far, even though the solution isn't solved I appreciate the advice. If you guys could still keep trying to help me that would be much obliged.

Do the drops happen in chunks? If so, is Vsync enabled?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. What usually happens is I'm looking at this cliff face and the fps drops from 60 to 47 really fast, climbs to 55 then drops, rinse repeat the cycle. It's probably from the dirt that is kicked up when I walk around and the occasional dust cloud, but it still SHOULDN'T be tanking in fps like that from what I've seen in that video demonstration. Another good example is when he is riding the horse there is a stable fps, when I do the same horse ride on the same path the fps is unstable and goes up and down constantly.

Sorry if this was covered before... but have you checked temperatures on the card in question? Is it throttling? Can you let MSI AB or something that logs/graphs the GPU clockspeeds and see if the core or memory clocks drop?

Sorry if this was covered before... but have you checked temperatures on the card in question? Is it throttling? Can you let MSI AB or something that logs/graphs the GPU clockspeeds and see if the core or memory clocks drop?

Temps are completely fine, never saw any issues. I run it at max fan speed and I never any of cards go above 60c. I use EVGA Precisionx16 and it lets me see the clock speed and etc. If i minimize the game I get a good 1 second look at what the clock speed was at when I had the game up. I should probably use another program for that though. One thing of note, it seems like the GPUs don't use the full clock speed, however I did change them to max performance under the NVCP and the performance was still bad. I think I did see the cards running at full clock speed a couple times but I'm not all that sure.

Yes, use MSI AB as it has a graph log and it will show you speeds. Now, its normal for SOME movement on those cards do to how they work (boost). But it shouldn't be all over the map.

Yes, use MSI AB as it has a graph log and it will show you speeds. Now, its normal for SOME movement on those cards do to how they work (boost). But it shouldn't be all over the map.

Well with MSI AB, are there any specific fields you think I should be monitoring.

Yes... the core speeds as I just said! :)

Basically, 'detach' the graph and make it a bit bigger so it logs more data (time). But what I want to see, and you may need multiple pictures unless you stretch the graph vertically or configure it right, is the core clockspeed, memory clockspeed, power limit, and gpu use.

Please host images internally as 3rd party host pics go away and I can't see them at the office.

Yes... the core speeds as I just said! :)

Basically, 'detach' the graph and make it a bit bigger so it logs more data (time). But what I want to see, and you may need multiple pictures unless you stretch the graph vertically or configure it right, is the core clockspeed, memory clockspeed, power limit, and gpu use.

Please host images internally as 3rd party host pics go away and I can't see them at the office.

Okay I attached the screen captures showing the FPS and gpu usage, power, etc (In game and on the graph). Also I attached my dxdiag report. One thing I also should mention as well is that I ran memtest86 and I had over 100,000 errors only on test 13, I read that this is expected for g.skill ram made after 2012 but that sounds stupid to me.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    84.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    437.4 KB · Views: 185
  • mgsvtpp_2015_09_05_11_49_37_173.jpg
    mgsvtpp_2015_09_05_11_49_37_173.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 186
  • mgsvtpp_2015_09_05_11_49_15_625.jpg
    mgsvtpp_2015_09_05_11_49_15_625.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 180