• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having issue with Win 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi everyone! It has been a very long time since I've been here. I have been out of the game for very long time as well. The issue I am having in windows 10 is the following. I had Win7 pro 64bit, then upgraded to WinTen and all was well, something new to get used to, so I noticed that the RST (Rapid Storage Technology) was saying down by the clock that it was not working, would try to open but would not, anyway, I figured that it maybe a new version for WinTen so I searched and downloaded and ran the driver and the pc would not BOOT! I could not do a system restore because it was turned off! Why, I do not know :screwy:. So I did a refresh of WinTen where it says to wipe the drive or you have the choice to remove the apps you want so I did that, and what did it do? It removed all the previous apps and programs without my approval that I had installed when I had win7, even eset smart security, I mean everything! So now to the problem I am having, which is, I cannot play any dvd's through my dvd drives. I have divX pro and it will not play either. I am not used to WinTen and finding it very frustrating since i never upgraded to win8. What can be causing this problem? Everything was working fine until it removed all the apps and software I had. At least it made a log of everything that it removed.. Thanks to all that can help..... joe

I'm pretty sure Win10 does not include support for DVD playback. Apparently Microsoft felt it would be too expensive to include that functionality.

Did you check Device Manager to determine if there are any problem devices?

Yes. Device manager is clean and the dvd drives are present..

To determine if this is a software problem, use a freeware DVD player like VLC, or my favorite
DAUM PotPlayer

I have VLC, Media player gold and when I insert a dvd into the drive I get the you have new options message on the side bar and Media player gold is the only one that come up. When I tick it to open it does nothing. I am downloading Pot Player now to see how that works and will let you know... Thank you all for your replies....

Yes, I know about the DVD player download. But that is not included as a part of Win10. Therefore DVD playback is not included as part of Win10. It is a premium optional download available for purchase. Only free for an upgrader who previously had Media Center, but not if you subsequently need or want to do a clean install (because MS made a strange, some might say poor, marketing decision).

I downloaded Pot Player and it plays my dvd's, but not automatically, meaning, when I insert the dvd into the drive it should start to play and it does not. I have to go to open> open drive G and it will play perfectly. This will not work in win media player, vlc and/or media player gold. Everything worked before I had to refresh winten and it does not work anymore since all my apps, plug-ins, dvd players and software where removed by winten. I do have windows media player and it used to play as well, but not now.

I forgot to add one more thing. Last night I was about to revert back to Win7 and when I opened up Update & Security and then to recover, I noticed I do not have the option to go back. I have 2 other machines that where upgraded as well and they also will not play dvd's. The other 2 machines did not have to be refreshed and they also do not have the option to go back to Win7 and it has not been 30 days since we upgraded....

Last edited:
Just like auto play needs to be set for a Microsoft program it can be set for Daum PotPlayer.
Everything can be made to be like you want it to be and better than on Windows 7.

Auto play can be set to anything.
Daum PotPlayer is TONS better than any Microsoft player.
PotPlayer plays EVERYTHING, it is highly customizable.

You should list the things you want Windows 8/10 to do and people will show you how.
People shouldn't judge Windows 8 (or even 10) by the bad default decisions Micrpsoft developers made. Those defaults can be changed.

Attachments

• AutoPlay.png
    AutoPlay.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 61
Back