• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black mold coming from paint on a coolermaster hafx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawnmcc

Have any of you had a problem with black mold coming from your cooler master case. I was sanding down the paint and left some on something and black mold grew from it. Would removing all the paint fix this problem or should I just throw this case away when I get my new cosmos 2.

Never had or heard of this problem but I'm curious. Are you wet sanding it? If so the wet paint dust might have been a good place for the mold to grow? Did this happen outside? Don't have too much experience with mold but I've only seen it grow in places that are damp for extended periods of time, like in walls where there is small water leaks that isn't repaired in time.

No I am not wet sanding it. I noticed it at my old place to. What I thought was paint was actually mold on the floor. Sometimes I wonder if my case was used and some one had a water cooler that leaked and never dried it then grew mold. Even though I bought it new. Plus I have had break-ins at my old place maybe they took the new one and put there's in its place. Or it might have been from my sister trunk she stole it one day but eventually gave it back.

Im not even sure what is going on here from the posts...

sanding down the pain and left some one something
Are you saying that you sanded it, and there was a pile of dust and mold grew out of the dust?

I mean, mold grows in damp places... if it was moist it happens.

Plus I have had break-ins at my old place maybe they took the new one and put there's in its place. Or it might have been from my sister trunk she stole it one day but eventually gave it back.
Um WHAT?!?!?!?! Why on earth would someone break into your place and swap cases with you? Seriously??? :screwy: :facepalm:
If it is mold it's an issue where you live not the case!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it on the case or the pile of dust?
ITs soaked into the paint or growing in the paint. I can not see it on the case because the mold is black. I have tried cleaner and everything on the case I can not remove it. Plus the pcie slots are not lining up perfectly with the holes in the back like it is bent or damaged could even be a manufacture error. But when I first bought it I never had that problem until it looked like my room was broke into. I will probably sand it down and use it for a server with very few pcie slots. Hope fully find some kind of paint that wont mold when wet.

What makes you think it's black mold? If it really is just wipe it down with a bleach and water mixture of a cup per gal of water.

Do you have a picture of what it looks like? How are you certain it is mold, and not corrosion? I don't know a lot about mold, but I don't see why it would be difficult to remove. Galvanic corrosion of the aluminum is basically like a plating and would be very hard to remove; also, I'm fairly sure it would be black.

Someone breaking in, swapping out all components, and replacing them in a case that magically grows black mold (despite being a non-porous surface), and then leaving does seem like the most sane conclusion.

If the mold is truly black, you have more problems than just a case and mold. Black mold is toxic and needs to be taken care of IMMEDIATELY. My prior job was working as a contractor and I had to deal with black mold in several of the properties we purchased before renovating/remodeling. It can spread rampant and cause serious health risk, I can't stress enough the importance if it is actually black mold, that it needs to be taken care of, and NOW.

If it is toxic black mold, as you claim, it did NOT come from the case, but from your home. You may have a water leak in a hidden area of the house, as black mold takes about 2 weeks to colonize assuming it has warmth and moisture. If you attempt to disturb black mold by removing it without proper handling, there is a possibility the mold could release a large amount of spores and mycotoxins in the home which could cause serious sickness in your body which can vary from damage to your internal organs, hemorrhaging, respiratory problems, and more.

Take the focus off the case, and focus on the house you are living in.

Take a picture or so of what you are calling mold, let us see what you are talking about, because if it is from the CASE, I highly doubt it's mold, much less black mold.

It probably was from the garage I use to live in. I am in apartment now. So that is why I am resolving it now by buying a new case. It is mold there is no question of it. But thank god it is not spreading from the case. So may be I should throw the moldy case out. I am receiving the new on Monday. So a case of the Monday LOL.

I am getting my cooler master cosmos 2 tomarow because I missed the delivery today. I didn't even hear ups knock at the door. But they left a slip for me to sign so I signed it and tomorrow I should have it. Hopefully the install should go good and reinstall of windows is not required to run my computer.

Pics before you dispose of the case would be nice.

Be careful when disposing the case if it's covered in mold. Try not to like, shake the case and whatnot.

Ok I will use the webcam because the case is black you can not see the mold. After everything is out I will use the webcam.

Everything runs fine on my cooler master cosmos 2 now and the old computer case has so much dust I don't think you could tell if its mold or dust. Should I clean out the dust before the picture or after?

Everything runs fine on my cooler master cosmos 2 now and the old computer case has so much dust I don't think you could tell if its mold or dust. Should I clean out the dust before the picture or after?

If it's mold the last thing you want to do is blow off the dust.
That would upset the mold and spread the spores.

I'd just leave the dust on, grab some pics and throw away the old case

SnapShot(0).jpg SnapShot(2).jpg Here are the grosses pictures of dust that you could ever see. I was surprised how bad as it was seeing I cleaned it out with bleach once before. The same kind of mold keeps coming back after.

Back