• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ed55

Hi .
I was hoping there might be an answer to an issue i,m having regarding a build that didn,t potentially have the motherboard power to reach the graphic limitation i was looking for.My asrock motherboard FA288m-HD+ doesn,t seem to be stronghold enough to power my geforce gtx 960 2gb with the accompaniment of the new A10 7870 processor i recently purchased.
I have a 40 inch screen and some games work well enough , although the more powerful , as in the case of Skyrim are really frustrating to play.Any help would be gratefully receieved.Ed55

In what way does it not have enough power? Do you have voltage issues? What sort of FPS do you get in Skyrim? Is your 40" monitor a TV with a 1920x1080p resolution?

Just looking at the specs you've given everything should be fine. The A10-7870 isn't the fastest CPU, but should be more than enough to provide for your GTX 960. The integrated graphics chip shouldn't play a role as long as you have the GTX 960, so I don't see how the motherboard comes into it unless there is some sort of throttling due to voltage or heat issues.

Can you post your full system specs and add them to your signature as well as I have done? It'll be a lot easier for the experts to help you.

Please list the full system specs, like you see in my signature.
Be sure to include PSU brand, model, and age along with overclock settings.

What are you struggling with besides Skyrim? What issues are you having with Skyrim exactly?

What resolution is your "40 inch screen"?

Where is the display cable from the screen plugged in to the computer?

Fa288m-hd+ motherboard
AMd A10 7870 cpu
8GB RAM
Geforce 960 2gb

- - - Updated - - -

I haven,t successfully overclocked mainly because the processor is new andi didn,t want to jam it out.
Also a bit unsure about how much it can be overclocked to substantiate a decent level of gameplay without fizzling out.
My screen res at tops is 1920/1028 , changing it even down as far as 1280/1080 doesn,t seem to affect the gameplay too much.
Skyrim is just slow and cumbersome , as with games such as Grid.
Aye my display cable is an hdmi that cost about 30 quid...
Hdmi to Hdmi.

Yes but is the cable plugged into the GFX card or the motherboard?
As for overclocking it's pretty simple just raise the multiplier in bios until it becomes unstable or gets too hot.

Last edited:
Yes but is the cable plugged into the GFX card or the motherboard?
As for overclocking it's pretty simple just raise the multiplier in bios until it becomes unstable or gets too hot.

This +1

The OP, if he wan't to OC that chip, should easily get it to 4.5GHz unless that board is holding it back... VRM quality? Also be sure to use a quality PSU when OCing anything.

The OP, if he wan't to OC that chip, should easily get it to 4.5GHz unless that board is holding it back... VRM quality? Also be sure to use a quality PSU when OCing anything.

VRM isn't an issue here.

Back