• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 980M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

I have a Gigabyte P35X-V3 laptop with an GTX 980M and i7-4710HQ CPU.

This is probably the slimmest 980M laptop that exists. While gaming the CPU temps go pretty high, up to 94 degrees,
and GPU temps around 82 degrees.

Is there a room for GPU overclock or not really?

Thanks

If you're already at 82c it not really the best idea. The card will likely throttle from the heat when overclocked.

Overclocking shouldn't cause issues with hardware. In most cases it's barely raising temps. Overvolting can cause hardware damage, especially that laptops are not designed for that. However you probably won't be able to overvoltage mobile GPU. Last time I was able to make it on GF710m and even then it wasn't overclocking much better.
Mobile GPUs have higher tolerance on high temps than desktop GPUs but with higher temps is also raising chance on instability. Maxwells in general don't need really high voltages to overclock good but you have to keep low temps.

Nvidia is locking OC in most newer driver versions but not all. I guess you have to find good driver and check if soft like MSI Afterburner lets you overclock the GPU. On GTX960M and latest whql drivers sliders let me set ~150MHz higher GPU and ~1000MHz higher memory but I didn't check how it's working in 3D. I guess I will check that soon.

But the problem in laptop overclocking isn't just the heat in the GPU, it affects everything around it a lot more then a regular desktop.

If GPU isn't generating more heat then how can it affect anything else around ? It's separared chip which is not raising any frequency of other components and is not linked to anything else except pcie bus which is locked at 100MHz.

Doesn't the temp increase with frequency even if its just barely ? depending on what you're doing, it can get VERY hot without overclocking, let alone with it. I remember that my wife's old (3yo with an i5 something something) Samsung ultrabook used to hit 80+ with a "simple" game like World of Warcraft.

80-90*C under load are normal temps for laptops. Top temp is 105*C or something near ( depends from series ). Below 100*C ( or lower depends from series ) is starting throttling so it's protected from overheating all the time.

Little update to my theory based on GTX960M. Stock card ( it's already overclocked about 70MHz ) had max 76*C after 2 runs of 3DMark. The same card overclocked by 135MHz ( max in Afterburner ) reached ... 77*C after 2 runs of 3DMark ( with demo ).
I was testing it on the latest 359.00 whql drivers on Win10.
Afterburner has limit of +135MHz GPU and +1000MHz mem. I was able to set +135MHz GPU and +200MHz Mem. I think that GPU can go higher if I find a way to unlock higher clock limit. Maybe I will check Nvidia Inspector later.

Back