• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbraceTheHate

Specs are in my signature. What should i upgrade first CPU or GPU? My rig is starting to struggle playing these AAA titles that are coming out. Id like to get the best bang for my buck.

The i5 4690k is $210 on newegg. A Gtx 970 is around $300-$320. Bit of a price difference but if the Cpu isnt going to help as much as a new GPU then i have no problem spending more money the first time around.

Specs are in my signature. What should i upgrade first CPU or GPU? My rig is starting to struggle playing these AAA titles that are coming out. Id like to get the best bang for my buck.

The i5 4690k is $210 on newegg. A Gtx 970 is around $300-$320. Bit of a price difference but if the Cpu isnt going to help as much as a new GPU then i have no problem spending more money the first time around.
You answered your own question, for the majority of games you'll get more performance from a gpu upgrade.

I was a bit confused because since its a dual core cpu. Well i guess the gpu is the answer then. I really wanted to just make sure!
Well if it's one or the other the Gpu would be my purchase. What you could do is monitor both the cpu and gpu during gaming. If you're maxing out the Cpu then maybe that is the better choice.

Some of the newer games like far cry 4 and dragon age Inquisition wont run on anything short of a quad core. This can possibly be remedied with an .ini edit but perhaps there's something to those limits. Get both eventually but processors could be hard to come by at a reasonble/deal* pricewhen theyve stopped production where as a graphics card released in 2018 would still work in your pc right now (if you had a time machine). .02

CPU's are one of, if not, the safest parts to buy used.
Also, where else do you propose to buy discontinued parts??

You misunderstood my post i was suggesting to the op to buy the cpu first so he wouldnt have to go to the secondary market. He could wait on the gpu and not worry about the next generation being incompatible. .02 at the end was short for "my two cents". If you need more clarification let me know

Last edited:
You misunderstood my post i was suggesting to the op to buy the cpu first so he wouldnt have to go to the secondary market. He could wait on the gpu and not worry about the next generation being incompatible. .02 at the end was short for "my two cents". If you need more clarification let me know

I was saying he can always get the CPU used, and to get the GPU now because it'll make a much larger difference for gaming than a CPU upgrade ever could.

I knew exactly where you were coming from in your recommendation. You just dont understand mine. I was making the op aware since he said he didnt mind waiting to get one or the other, that in my opinion it would be better in the long run to get the cpu now so he wouldnt have to get one used if they were to be permanently out of stock where as any new gpu even one from 2 years in the future would still work with his pc. I wanted the OP to be fully informed before he made his decision.

I like to buy new for the warranty both the retailers and the manufacturers (every company isnt EVGA).

I know what you're saying too, but the fact remains that a GPU upgrade trumps a CPU upgrade for gains in gaming performance.

Back