• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential Noctua NH-D15 purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Enough of this stupid argument, please. Kenrou, your original comment was worded in a way which made it sound like anything less than 1.45v on Skylake is OK, which is extremely dangerous.

OP - I have an NH-D15, along with a Reeven Ouranos. Whenever I am between reviews, I put the D15 on. Not only is it a great-cooling heatsink, it is the easiest to mount of them all. That and the bottom surface -- the contact surface -- is only a little convex. The mounting springs limit the pressure applied. Intel specifies a max of 50 lbf, and Noctua respects that limit. My review is here. They also have a TIM that is the easiest to apply.

Thanks for that, ehume! I did consider other coolers especially the Reeven but I did like the mount method of the D15 and that's what made me go with it in the end.

Also, being called this also helps:
The Noctua NH-D15 is the new Gold Standard of air-cooling.

:)

Interesting fact here, apparently new upper limit on Skylake voltage is 1.52v, and although my wording might be off cause i wasn't talking about maximum voltage but temps (NH-D15 stops being able to process high temps efficiently on my FX-8370 at around 1.45v) this ended up being true :p Still would not push it above 1.45v though...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Thanks for the link to the white paper, I had been waiting to see one!

FWIW, ASUS said the max for 24/7 should be 1.425V. I still won't run that high personally though.

The reason for the increase over Haswell though is that there isn't a FIVR any more.

Seems like a setback right ? would that be some sort way of stopping insane overclockings as we seemingly lose some stability ?

Seems like a setback right ? would that be some sort way of stopping insane overclockings as we seemingly lose some stability ?

Not a setback at all, there are positives to both ways, but I prefer having the voltage regulation off-die.
Less heat to deal with, makes high end motherboards a bit more worth it also.

The FIVR was introduced to Haswell and removed for Skylake, apparently Intel didn't like it.

Keep this in mind when you choose heatsinks. All Noctua mounds are limited to 50lbf by springs and screw stops. No danger to chips.

Back