• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

only 8 out of 16 usable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Not saying reserved, just usable. Just got my matching set from newegg from over weekend

2 sets of 4x2 Gskill PC 1600 dual channel memeory.

Installed 2nd set today and PC shows 16 MB, Bios does as well, but says only 8 usable. I made sure to check under msconfig for maximum memory setting, checked at 16gigs and even unchecked no difference. On windows 10

SQnkfRO.png
5DoqOv4.jpg
hFFFR9Q.jpg
c7p5T1H.jpg
GItqRfD.jpg
Y118XEZ.jpg

bios also only shows 8 gig for some reason, I tried all 4 stocks and all possible combinations work, so dont know if I just can't find an option to enable more than 8.

Can't seem to find the book atm...hmm

Did you try clearing the CMOS I had to do that on my board to get it too recognize my new set of memory.

Did you try clearing the CMOS I had to do that on my board to get it too recognize my new set of memory.

I did.

It shows all 4 sticks, their speeds and gigs in monitor, but only displays 8gb usable on the ez view page as well.

edit. Found the book but can't see any option for what I need.

The 4x4 for this specific memory is also on the qualified list so...

Last edited:
Odd that Cpu-Z is reading it as Single channel mode as well, is it still overclocked? It's possible that the extra ram is throwing the Oc for a loop.

Shows ram @ 1728 MHz
@ 1600 (stock) does it show all 16 gig as usable?
4 sticks is harder to OC.

I set it to 1720 because manually because it accurately shows the 1600 you see on the first screen. Setting it to to auto downclocks it to 1433 and no, it still only shows 8.

I set it to 1720 because manually because it accurately shows the 1600 you see on the first screen. Setting it to to auto downclocks it to 1433 and no, it still only shows 8.
That's because you're overclocking the bclk, but you answered my question anyway.

Odd that Cpu-Z is reading it as Single channel mode as well, is it still overclocked? It's possible that the extra ram is throwing the Oc for a loop.

its reading it in single channel because for some reason I dont think bslots are working in junction?

Its supposed to be A2 and B2 for dual channel or A1A2B1B2 for 2x dual channel. However even with 2 ram sticks in A2 and B2, it will only detect 4gig no 8. So I think its only saying A1A2 are usable here.

But if the slots were bad, would bios and CPUz be detecting them just fine, exactly as they should be running?

- - - Updated - - -

CPUz shows me mismatched ram
1 GBRL kit
1 GBXL kit

Its the same hardware, just different Heatsinks. Exact same sticks and on the qualified list

F3-12800CL9Q - 16 4x4

Back