• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 Mildclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathscreton

Registered
So I think I lucked out. The board I'm doing this OC on is a rev 4.0 which has the better components of the batch they made during the boards lifetime.
Running an fx-8350 on a Hyper Evo 212 with Artec 6.
Found this stable clock in just a few minutes.
-----
During the ST.
stableclock.png
-----
Idle after the ST.
stableclockidle.png
-----

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
A decent overclock. Probably get more from it. Try 4.2ghz and see how the temps look. Should be no problemo!

Deathscreton, could you host the pictures internally, that way eventually they do not become dead links. Is that a Giga 990Fx UD3 board?
Here is how to host the pics. Capture4.PNG

I didn't know you could insert images this way. I'll have to keep that in mind. I hated using Photobucket.

And yep. The UD3 rev 4.0. I was worried I had gotten another revision, but was lucky enough to score their latest model. I was at work all day, but now I'm home, so it's time to play. I wanna see how far I can push this chip. I'm praying I won the golden lottery.
----------
EDIT:
Did some more pushing. It looks like 4.5 without playing with the HTT is the highest I can push the chip without temps going crit. It was at 69 and I was highly uncomfortable with that. I never passed 61 with the voltage a step down. Just one step. So I'll keep at 4.5 and toy with the HTT to see what I can get.
max.PNG
----------

So I've hit a wall. It doesn't matter what I increase at this point from what I can tell, the CPU gets unstable and the computer locks up. I've tried bumping the BCLK speed to 214, which gives me a speed of 4.6 and the program yells instability. Tried upping the VCore with the speed bump and it just locks up. Any tips?

Last edited:
So I'm gonna make a new post for this one. I hit another brick wall. Previously, I hadn't tampered with the voltages for the CPU-NB. I did so and was able to get my system stable on 4.6. I've posted pictures below to show the settings I used along with the successful ST.

The setting pictures are huge. I couldn't find a spoiler tag for the post box, so I apologize beforehand. Just be prepared for stretching. ;)
4.6_214.PNG
2016-02-11 02.22.54.jpg
2016-02-11 02.23.04.jpg
-----------------------------------------
What we have below, are the settings I last used to try and achieve a 4.7. All froze. Didn't fail, just locked up before the first result from Intel Burn even showed up.
2016-02-11 02.22.27.jpg
2016-02-11 02.22.37.jpg
-----------------------------------------
You guys have any suggestions?

lower your bclk back to 210 and raise the cpu clock ratio
bclk raises the cpu/nb, the ht and the ram speed and one of these might be making you unstable.

I thought of that as well. I tried increasing the voltage, but that didn't work. I suppose playing with the ratio some more couldn't hurt though. I'll give it a shot later. I'm all out of steam at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, I already tried toying with the ratio. If you look at my second post, you'll see that pushing it to 4.6 with just the ratio and the FSB to 210 cause instability, even with the voltage cranked up. It also added a massive amount of heat. 69C.

Last edited:
on the heat, you are using ibt, I use ibt to test cooling systems and prime 95 to test if I might be stable.

open 4 copys of cpu-z and select these tabs and post us a screenshot like this

plug a usb flash drive into a usb 2.0 port, to screenshot the bios most boards use the F12 key, save it to the flash drive, reboot, change the bmp image to a png or a jpeg and post it.
what cooling are you using?

Attachments

• cpuz.PNG
    cpuz.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 126
I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo with Artec 6 as the thermal compound.

CPUZ.PNG

What sections of the UEFI do you want?

Thinks temps are limiting at 4.6ghz. Looks like a really nice OC, IBT stable and all.

Perhaps work on memory tweaking? Could try 8-8-8-22-30 and maybe a VRAM bump to 1.65v and see if it holds up. No sense in running Cas 9 at only 700mhz.....

I thought it was a decent clock too. But like an overclocker, I want more. I'll just have to settle until I get a better case so I can fit a proper radiator. A single radiator setup just seems really limiting in terms of what I could actually get. In any case, the memory is default. That's one thing I'm not really familiar with. I know the terminology since it's necessary for my A+ cert test coming up in the future, but I've never actually overclocked my RAM.

A custom water cooling kit is the way to go. Expensive, but you can customize it any way you'd like to get superior temps. Also while water cooling, you MUST actively cool the VRM section if you are not already. This means use a fan on the VRM heat sink. VRMs create heat which can be transferred to the cpu via copper inlay of th motherboard PCB and visa versa.

I exampled the stock timings from the SPD tab on your screen shot. Jedec #4 actually. It will be an overclock. I bios you set the Memory speed (divider) to it's lowest point. So at 200 bus clocks, it would read 609mhz and would automatically set 8-8-8 timing set.

However this is not what I want you to do. You want to use the current divider and leave the 700mhz you're running now but tighten timings. This will improve your performance some and would be noticed especially bench marking PiMod for example.

If 8-8-8 doesn't work you could try something like 9-8-7 (in example) and still would be an improvement.

However for most daily computing, there isn't a great noticeable difference. You want as tight as possible with best stability.

Is JEDEC the default it turns to once the frequency touches that range? Is that what I'm getting here?

If you leave it on automatic and select the speed 609mhz for example, the motherboard will automatically pick the timings and implement to that speed.

However while the board is on auto and you raise the bus clocks far enough, it will automatically lower the speed for you and adjust timings accordingly.

Really in my opinion, that 800mhz Ram is no good. I mean Cas 10-10-10 at only 800mhz is quite loose.. If you had 933mhz ram with Cas 9 timings, you'd yield a much higher memory frequency.

- - - Updated - - -

In this link http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

you should find everything explained with detail. Give it a good read through, most you can skip probably as you are already on good track but there is some good info about memory overclocking.

I'm aware of a possible issue of the same type of error like in one of the screenshots, occurring when testing more than 4 GB of RAM on FX systems!

And it can occur randomly, sometimes makes it to 4 or 5 passes before getting the error that resembles one of the screenshots and sometimes you get the error like the above within only 2 passes...

Is this an issue with IBT or a hardware error based on the CPUs?

I dunno, but suspect AMD having a lot of faulty IMCs on Visheras.

AMD may have a dirty secret for all I know. For all I know, AMD may have made Visheras so that more than 4 GB of RAM isn't supported!

Intel Burn Test (even with AVX) is a 10 minute burn with AVX it's only 5 minutes burn. You could produce the same effect with Cinebench really.

Would use OCCT Linapck tab for memory stress testing personally. Last run I did was 6 hours no errors 1300mhz OC x2 Llano FM1 processor, Ram at 1033 with Patriot Viper Extreme 4GB 1.65-1.70v. I generally run OCCT back to back with Prime95 to really give the PC some good beating.

But really, if you buy into say 933mhz memory and run 8GB, you generally shouldn't have an issue with every day computing. We need to remember that NB, HT and SB can all cause blue screens as well as a hot cpu.

It's all trial and error with overclocking anything.

I dunno, but suspect AMD having a lot of faulty IMCs on Visheras.

AMD may have a dirty secret for all I know. For all I know, AMD may have made Visheras so that more than 4 GB of RAM isn't supported!
Faulty IMC's? This is news to me do you have some information I could read on this RJAR?

Back